The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

The Great White North, where we get taxed out the wazoo

Red face George Morris Clinic- Another Question

Just wondering what saddle pad I should use for this. I want to be "correct" but also remember that we are going to be sitting on these critters for over 2 hours and want to keep my guy in the happy place.
    I show wearing a half pad- I know it's "not done" anymore but he likes it. The guy organizing the clinic says a shaped pad for the hunters and I do have a Wilkers which is nice, but am worried it's not going to be enough padding for that length of time. I regularly ride with a Mattes half pad and square pad.
    Looking online a lot of the riders in groups have the half pad/square pad thing going, but I am riding in a "hunter" group.
    What should I do?

I would go with the shaped pad.

I would personally go with the mattes pad and a white baby pad or saddle pad, and definitely have a reason for doing so, should he ask. As long as both are spotless, I cannot see him having a problem with that, especially with the reason that you want more comfort for the horse since you will be on for a long time.

I once rode in a clinic with a BNT, can't remember who now though, but it was 110* out and humid as all get out. I hose my horse down before I rode and didn't really care if the clinician thought it was inappropriate to have a horse dripping wet in the ring. I was asked why I did so and told the person that my horses comfort came first. He applauded me and told everyone else to learn something from that!

Good horsemanship is priority to any good rider. Including GM. He mentions it all the time. Do what is best for your horse.

I have seen many square pads topped with sheepskin half pads or the like at GM clinics. As long as they are clean and properly fitted to the horse I don't think he cares.

Quote Originally Posted by littlecreek View Post
    Just wondering what saddle pad I should use for this. I want to be "correct" but also remember that we are going to be sitting on these critters for over 2 hours and want to keep my guy in the happy place.
    I show wearing a half pad- I know it's "not done" anymore but he likes it. The guy organizing the clinic says a shaped pad for the hunters and I do have a Wilkers which is nice, but am worried it's not going to be enough padding for that length of time. I regularly ride with a Mattes half pad and square pad.
    Looking online a lot of the riders in groups have the half pad/square pad thing going, but I am riding in a "hunter" group.
    What should I do?
    Don't listen to anyone else!!

Immediately go out and buy the pinkest most neon saddle pad you can find. It is the ONLY thing that GM finds acceptable.

Others will try to steer you wrong and tell you to get a shaped pad, make sure it's clean, yada, yada. DO NOT listen to them, only I ave your best interests at heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravencrest_Camp View Post
    Don't listen to anyone else!!

Immediately go out and buy the pinkest most neon saddle pad you can find. It is the ONLY thing that GM finds acceptable.

Others will try to steer you wrong and tell you to get a shaped pad, make sure it's clean, yada, yada. DO NOT listen to them, only I ave your best interests at heart.

Yes hot pink or neon green is the only way to go.

With animal print. Make sure to get zebra polo wraps.
    Proud member of the COTH Junior (and Junior-at-Heart!) clique!

Quote Originally Posted by PonyPeep View Post
    With animal print. Make sure to get zebra polo wraps.
    They can't be zebra, they have to be neon leopard print in the same color as the saddle pad. God don't you have any fashion sense? Don't forget that your polo and helmet cover should match the color of the saddle pad. Also your browband should be beaded in matching rhinestones, and you definitely want to use pink jointed stirrups.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterrider23 View Post
    They can't be zebra, they have to be neon leopard print in the same color as the saddle pad. God don't you have any fashion sense? Don't forget that your polo and helmet cover should match the color of the saddle pad. Also your browband should be beaded in matching rhinestones, and you definitely want to use pink jointed stirrups.
    Oh God, what was I thinking? I have to go get a neon pink leopard print helmet cover right now!!
    Proud member of the COTH Junior (and Junior-at-Heart!) clique!

You should also have neon or animal print bell boots in the matching color!

Quote Originally Posted by Star's Ascent View Post
    You should also have neon or animal print bell boots in the matching color!
    Duh that's a given.

The Great White North, where we get taxed out the wazoo

Wow, thanks for all the tips-I want to look appropriate, not give poor ole GM an aneurysm...guess the blingy belt is out aswell. I actually don't even OWN a belt without sparkles.