The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Like childcare, how on earth can the leasing farm insure their horses enough to cover the inevitable lameness and injuries caused by poor riders.

Would you lease your own horse to a different rider every week? Think how fast you said NO and why. Even people that give lessons to strangers often have a test ride, to ensure the rider can ride. This place says just call us and tell us your skill level !!

Quote Originally Posted by fordtraktor View Post
    Another good cost saver if you can't afford the shows your high dollar trainer attends is to take lessons with the best trainer you can find/afford and go to the shows by yourself (or in my case, with your horse show mom to video you). Take the video to your next lesson for a critique and spend 5 minutes of your hour getting feedback on your show.

I did this a lot as a kid and it is invaluable to be able to know how to walk a course and form a plan, ride your plan, and otherwise put yourself in the ring without incurring day fees, grooming fees, coaching fees, hotel splits, etc. These are all skills you should have anyway if your trainer is really good.
    This is a great idea. I don't go to shows with a coach. Mind you I only event at the lower levels, but next year I want to do some dressage and jumper shows. I will be on my own for these as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Chall View Post
    Like childcare, how on earth can the leasing farm insure their horses enough to cover the inevitable lameness and injuries caused by poor riders.

Would you lease your own horse to a different rider every week? Think how fast you said NO and why. Even people that give lessons to strangers often have a test ride, to ensure the rider can ride. This place says just call us and tell us your skill level !!
    This is what I was thinking. To me, it seems like it would be pretty hard to just call up a barn, tell them your skill level, and then show up at the show and ride well in that division for the week, even if you were a great rider. The only way I can see it being okay is if you're used to catch riding, but if you were, you'd think you could get a catch ride for the show instead of paying for one of these horses. But it does seem kind of weird that they would lease their horses to a different rider every week for however many weeks. Makes me wonder if there's a good reason nobody else is doing this!

I would think the lease program is for people the trainers already know.

Can anyone call me up and lesson on my personal hunter? No.

Can someone who has been lessoning with me a while where I know how they ride and that they can follow directions start to lesson on my personal hunter?

Sure.

Ok, I looked at the link from the OP. This is a nice idea for a show barn that has accumulated some suitable horses, but definitely is not something too many barns are going to want to do. As Chall pointed out, it's potentially a lot of wear and tear on a horse to be leased out to a different person repeatedly.

The weekly leases are promoted as a way to show more economically, but honestly, in the scheme of things I think that a weeklong lease at $599 (for a 3' hunter)-1000 is not a good value for someone who is looking to advance or develop into a high quality rider on a budget. It's fine if people want to show and have fun, but renting a 3' packer for a week of showing isn't horsemanship. That money would be better spent on lessons or clinics.