The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ben Maher to ride Urico etc. for Jane Clark?

http://www.equisearch.com/news/nancy...undation-post/

I figured relations couldn't be good between Mario Deslauriers & Jane after the drug test at the selection trials, but I didn't know that it was over. Does Mario have any other top level horses with other owners? I figured Jane Clark was the main reason he switched to US citizenship too.

Interesting. So the horses will be going to UK now?

Can't say I blame her for moving her horses after that drug test, I wouldn't want to be associated with him at all. And US can keep Mario as well, as sad as I was to see him leave Canada!

P.

Quote Originally Posted by Polydor View Post
    Interesting. So the horses will be going to UK now?

Can't say I blame her for moving her horses after that drug test, I wouldn't want to be associated with him at all. And US can keep Mario as well, as sad as I was to see him leave Canada!

P.
    Unfortunately Mr. Burr took the penalty and is suspended by USEF for two years. Mr. Deslaurier is free to pursue his career.

I don't blame Ms. Clark for washing her hands of the situation but I do hope that she knows what's what, and that Mr. Burr is somehow compensated for being the sacrificial lamb...
    Last edited by skydy; Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Spelling

Sad the USEF president chose a non-US rider.

Quote Originally Posted by marginall View Post
    Agreed. Disappointing and unsportsmanlike, in my opinion. She was right to resign. Time was, the 1% took PRIDE in discovering and supporting young AMERICAN talent. I can think of so many deserving young American riders who would have benefited greatly from such a lovely string of horses.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

I am saddened as well but am SO grateful for the ridiculous amount of support Jane has already given the USET over the years. We (the equestrian community) had a LOT of fun at Jane's expense. Who can forget the already geriatric George Morris winning the Spruce Meadows Masters on Jane's... idiosyncratic Rio? I say set her free and let those of us left behind examine our evil ways and see what we can do to lure her back. I too can think of a lot of deserving riders, but most are just a whisper too green and it is unrealistic to expect Jane to sacrifice Cella's glory years while someone gets mileage. And YAY that she will support Leslie again. That is awesome.

She has supported lots of US riders for many years, in several disciplines. I am very happy for Ben Maher, he is a great talent and deserving of this opportunity and I wish him well on his new rides.

Nutmeg is so right. Jane has done her bit and so much more. Maybe ( I am just guessing) she is tired of supporting and wants to be part of the "already there" crowd. It is not easy watching your horse take the brunt of the greener riders mistakes. And they do make mistakes that is for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Dinah-do View Post
    It is not easy watching your horse take the brunt of the greener riders mistakes. And they do make mistakes that is for sure.
    Let's not forget Mario was responsible for some pretty golden moments too. I used to literally get sick when I saw him come into the ring on that horse, and I'd hazard any one of our "hair too green" riders would have had equal odds with him as far as not putting the horse on the ground is concerned.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    Agreed. Disappointing and unsportsmanlike, in my opinion.
    She is going to continue to support USEF Foundation financially and buy horses for Leslie Howard, I wouldn't consider that unsportsmanlike. I think the US should be grateful for her past support.

And you and everyone who criticizes her are free to up your contributions to USEF to make up the slack. I don't think it is our place to tell Jane Clark how to spend her money, or who she should support.

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    She is going to continue to support USEF Foundation financially and buy horses for Leslie Howard, I wouldn't consider that unsportsmanlike. I think the US should be grateful for her past support.

And you and everyone who criticizes her are free to up your contributions to USEF to make up the slack. I don't think it is our place to tell Jane Clark how to spend her money, or who she should support.
    I agree!

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    Agreed. Disappointing and unsportsmanlike, in my opinion. She was right to resign. Time was, the 1% took PRIDE in discovering and supporting young AMERICAN talent. I can think of so many deserving young American riders who would have benefited greatly from such a lovely string of horses.
    Ms. Clark is the CEO/President of the USET Foundation, not the USET proper. She still supports a number of US riders, including Leslie Howard as well as others; I wouldn't call that unsportsmanlike at all. It's hard to think of others who have contributed more to the USET - in dollars, horses, time and personal support - over the years.

Although I have not always agreed with Ms. Clark, particularly during the acrimonious NGB battles, there is no disputing the fact that she has been an enormous contributor/supporter of US teams for decades, and certainly has the right to put her horses wherever she sees fit. Ben Maher is a fantastic rider and I can see why he was chosen; much luck to him with the new rides.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    Although I have not always agreed with Ms. Clark, particularly during the acrimonious NGB battles, there is no disputing the fact that she has been an enormous contributor/supporter of US teams for decades, and certainly has the right to put her horses wherever she sees fit. Ben Maher is a fantastic rider and I can see why he was chosen; much luck to him with the new rides.
    Well said.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Clears out a lot of drama as well.

I was a bit surprised that Leslie Howard didn't just take over the horses- instead Jane Clark is in the process of buying some for Leslie again. Maybe the horses that were with Mario weren't as good of a match for Leslie?