The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Mare type for Quaterback

I have a coming three year old Dancier mare out of a Sandro Hit dam and am wondering if Quaterback might be a good choice. Fidertanz has been recommended also. She needs some size otherwise is quite perfect. What type of mare for him? What does he seem to be consistently adding or improving?

At the OldNA inspection I went to, there was a fabulous Quaterback filly (ended up being the highest or second highest scoring foal in the country this year). I have pictures from the inspection; if you'd like I can send you a picture of the mare and foal .

I don't think Fidertanz would be my choice if I were looking for additional height.....
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

I don't think Quaterback or Fidertanz would reliably add height.

Both seem to be able to shorten the back and the neck from what I have seen.

Nancy Connelly of HorsePower Farm bred a beautiful 2011 Top AHS Foal by Harvard out of her now, 4 year old EMC Dancier mare. The cross worked really nicely.
    Photo: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pangae...type=1&theater

Side note: This lovely filly was the result of Nancy's purchase of a dontated Harvard breeding from the 2010 AHS Stallion Auction. Please support your registries this upcoming year and bid on the stallions!

I have bred three Quaterbacks, and all will be as tall/taller then their dams. Close to 17.0 hands all three of them. Bred one Fidertanz and bought another, again one is 17.0 hands and growing and the other 16.3. But have seen smaller of both Quaterback and Fidertanz, so you need to know your mares lines.

With Quaterback, I have found that most resemble their dams...not all but enough to make be notice. Biggest concern with breeding to Quaterback is walk and hind leg. Also prefer a mare with good type, and not short in the back or short in the neck. Best Quaterback crosses I have had/seen have been on F line mares. Quaterback is elastic, but I would make sure to put him to an elastic mare.

With Fidertanz I would also watch the walk but especially the canter. The two I have have excellent canters, but so did their dams. Of the two Fidertanz offspring we have started, one was born broke the other a bit hot....but so was her dam.

And I think Harvard is a great broodmare sire. Have one Harvard mare out of a pure jumping line, and another Fidertanz/Harvard out of a jumping line again. The first is a super broodmare. The second is an amazing mover, we will find out what kind of broodmare she is in 2012.
    Last edited by Crosiadore; Nov. 14, 2011 at 06:35 AM.
    Nancy Holowesko
    www.crosiadorefarm.com
    Breeders of GOV Horses for Dressage

Hello, I do not have any personal experience to comment on either Fidertanz or Quarterback, although I think they both are fantastic sires.

I have however, had a Harvard offspring and give him the "thumbs up". My Harvard colt was one of the best that has been produced from my farm. Super mover, super canter, suspension to spare, super walk.

I would love to have a Harvard mare

Quaterback needs a modern and leggy mare with an excellent walk and hind leg.
    Roseknoll Sporthorses
    www.roseknoll.net

this is an unbelieveably good Quaterback son out of a Furst Piccolo/Sandro Hit mare. Florestan has provided a good walk. The dam was Bundeschampion in 2006.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe_m0jl__Mg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8rWt1UbBOs

watch for him next week in the licensing!

He's very beautiful honeylips but sharp as a scalpel! I'd have to see that one going under saddle to assess his rideability before ever considering using him.

(and as an aside I think this sort of huge movement may be what perfect Pony is referring to when she says the big movers move as if they are ataxic. I'm not saying this horse is ataxic but I do think he moves in a similar manner to a mildly ataxic horse. When people and animals can't quite tell where their feet are they move in an exaggerated manner. That style of movement (attained through selective breeding, not ataxia) is highly prized in dressage these days.)

Quote Originally Posted by honeylips View Post
    this is an unbelieveably good Quaterback son out of a Furst Piccolo/Sandro Hit mare. Florestan has provided a good walk. The dam was Bundeschampion in 2006.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe_m0jl__Mg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8rWt1UbBOs

watch for him next week in the licensing!
    Wow!

The Qb/Furst Piccolo looks like a big boy, for a 2 yo.
    I do think Quaterback has the ability to add bulk, if the mare has size in her breeding too.

We have had four Quaterbacks. You can see them on my website with their dams. Two are 2 1/2 year old fillies. They can be seen in the "future broodmare" section. One is a yearling gelding that is 15.3 hands already and one is a colt of 2011. I have a mare in foal to him for next year. I am curious to see how the oldest two will be when under saddle. We'll soon find out!
    http://www.rollingstonefarm.com
    Large Oldenburg and Hanoverian breeding farm
    Standing Shakespeare RSF, Fhitzgerald, Sir James and the homebred stallion Dheputy.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeLawyer View Post
    Quaterback needs a modern and leggy mare with an excellent walk and hind leg.
    Correct and you must keep in mind that he has been known to give 'smaller' type horses out of normal sized mares.
    I really like Q's movement but would be more inclined to use a good and approved son.
    Have you seen Quasar de Charry? Very WOW!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pn0bLwFuCaY ... get thru the first bit!
    Pedigree: http://www.paardenfokken.nl/pedigree.php?horseid=389923
    Peterina S.

I like very much the Quaterback - Furst Piccolo in the auction. There are a number of Furst Piccolo horses that I have seen that are sharp, but also big movers. This stallion looks clever for all that he is energetic. He is interesting and will be good to go under saddle. So far, he has to be one of my favorite chestnut Quaterback sons judging at two years of age.

I have two Quaterbacks, a totally gorgeous, very long legged, blood bay stallion, three years old, who is basically 17 hands at three. He is very easy to train/handle/ride with a phenomental character and three very nice gaits. Despite being so long legged, he has quite good balance and carries himself well with a relaxed and large enough walk. One of the Vechta ex-auction riders who had him for a few months agreed that he was one of the most rideable Quaterback sons she had been on. I also have his full sister that perhaps is not quite as long legged, but still very typey, darker bay, and will mature 16.1/16.2. She is only two, but also has a super character. The mother is bred Harvard - Prinz Miro - Thymian xx, so she had enough blood type.

I for sure would not breed a difficult, heavy, short legged mare to Quaterback - but then why breed such a mare anyway. I really like the Quaterback offspring, but he is not a stallion for every mare.

I have bred Quaterback and Fidertanz to two different type of mares now and had super results.

With Quaterback, you absolutley MUST have a mare with a top quality walk, good mind and a mare who reliably throws both. The mare I used is an Elite Hanoverian Rotspon/Ramiro Son II/Pik Koenig who is 16.2, solid boned, medium legged-meaning leg length matches body depth. She needed more expression in the trot, canter was good enough and walk is an 8. Also needed more refinement and slightly longer front leg.
    Quaterback met all of this mare's needs well and she definitly contributed walk and a good mind. Both offspring scored highly at USDF shows including Dressage at Devon. The filly was Reserve Foal Champion at DAD and was USDF Champion HOY Filly of 2010. The colt was 5th at DAD in 2011, was Foal Champion at two shows as well as 5th USDF HOY colt of 2011.

With Fidertanz, my goal was somewhat different. I was breeding for a Grand Prix talent. I used my older type Hanoverian DeNiro/Grande/Wendekriess. Ihad both a filly and a colt. The filly was Reserve Foal Champion at Devon in 2009 and was bought by an upper level rider. She is a bit older style, but had a longer front leg than her dam with tons of power from behind.
    The colt was highly sought after by GP riders and sold to one. He is a very powerful, correct mover with presence. We hope that his owners will wait and present him as a stallion when he is a bit older and proven in the arena. He is a bit too old style for the registries right now. But we all feel strongly that he is the type of stallion, good mind, three correct, expressive gaits and substance that is currently lacking in the stallions being licensed today. The type that will be needed for the TB and Sandro Hit types that need a stronger foundation.
    In my opnion, Fidertanz needs a more refined mare with a little height to her.

I will PM you
    Maryanna Haymon- Marydell Farm - Home to Don Principe & Doctor Wendell MF
    www.marydellfarm.com
    2012 USDF Champion Breeder! 2007, 2011 USEF Champ Breeder
    2009,2010,2011 USDF Res Breeder of the Year!

Nancy,
    Can you expound on the concerns for hind leg in QB.. What have been the negative outcomes? I have more in the tank and trying to make sure I have right mare for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Crosiadore View Post
    I have bred three Quaterbacks, and all will be as tall/taller then their dams. Close to 17.0 hands all three of them. Bred one Fidertanz and bought another, again one is 17.0 hands and growing and the other 16.3. But have seen smaller of both Quaterback and Fidertanz, so you need to know your mares lines.

With Quaterback, I have found that most resemble their dams...not all but enough to make be notice. Biggest concern with breeding to Quaterback is walk and hind leg. Also prefer a mare with good type, and not short in the back or short in the neck. Best Quaterback crosses I have had/seen have been on F line mares. Quaterback is elastic, but I would make sure to put him to an elastic mare.
    HiddenAcresFarm.Net
    Imported from Germany, Assembled in Michigan
    Rare damline of 7 direct generations of Elite/States Premium Mares.

Having been at the Oldenburg licensing I'm still not a Quaterback fan. I'd like to be, I love his pedigree, but when I see his stock in the flesh they just aren't my favourites.

If I was going to breed to him I'd want a mare with a very correct extended trot and a preference for canter over trot. I'd also want a very sensible, trainable temperament in the mare.

I have two, both from the same Waldkoenig/Wodka dam who is VERY big (both in substance and in height) but has a very long forearm and a super walk and temperament. Truth be told the first breeding was an accident, but we liked him so much we rebred her again and ended up with a very similiar a year later. The oldest is coming three and is honestly very big...close to 17 hand and with tonnes of substance (but not short legged). He is still intact (for reasons not related to using him for breeding) and has just a phenomenal temperament. He has a great walk, lots of swing and overtrack and he got WAY more movement than his dam (she was really quite flat and lacking alot of elasticity). He is , however, a bit turned out from his knees and a bit cow hocked (not from dam). He will forsure be a very substantial boy as both parents were (though I like horses like this if the front leg is long enough and they are athletic movers).

Here is a recent short video of him (he is a bit bum high still):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAzFJ8UwrcU

The full sibling is more of a shy horse temperament wise, a bit untrusting (strange considering he was a bottle baby). The legs are perfectly straight and he moves well, but not as well as the oldest. Both got tonnes of chrome and flaxen mane and tale. He is also extremely tall.

I am happy with mine...so would likely breed back to him again to the right mare (agree with everyone else regarding mare having very good walk).
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

Eurodressage posted this on FaceBook:
    Today in Vechta only a few stallions stood out and that were the Temptation x Sandro Hit, the Dr Doolittle, the Dimaggio x Landadel and a couple of Sir Donnerhall. Quaterback just can't appeal to me with their stiff tails and downhill confirmation despite their leg activity and cadence. QBs here in Vechta are only trotting, but show little walk and hardly any canter. The walk is also a critical point for almost every single S-line stallion and the Fidertanz' offspring disappointed with their weak backs and loins... I was wondering where the R line blood has gone to. Not a single direct R line representative here in Vechta this year!
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist