The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Since I'll never have that kind of money to spend on a horse, I don't have to worry about ever dealing with his kind. I'll stick to my reject horses.

I can deal with a higher class of seller.

Originally Posted by Mardi
    He's been in the US since approx 2000, and became a citizen in 2008.
    Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    That is quick.
    I know someone from the Czech Republic who became a U.S. citizen in 7 years. And he had no special skills when he arrived (actually worked in construction for the first couple of years), nor did he speak much English. His English is now really good, and he has carved out a nice niche for himself as a very popular certified personal trainer at a rather high end gym.

Quote Originally Posted by CFFarm View Post
    Since I'll never have that kind of money to spend on a horse, I don't have to worry about ever dealing with his kind. I'll stick to my reject horses.

I can deal with a higher class of seller.
    I think many folks would be surprised how many BNTs and wannabe BNTs pull the same stuff. It's been going on for years, and they sadly have been able to get away with it in years past. I think the internet has made it much easier, though, for sellers and buyers to find each other and to compare notes after a sale, as has the advent of big "must see" shows and show circuits.

I just heard of another big scam the other day, by a pretty well known trainer/rider. Seems the seller recognized her horse in Wellington last year, she and the new owner chatted a bit and found out they had both been scammed by the BNT that managed the transaction. They are apparently both fuming mad and looking at legal action.

But Ilona hit it right on the head:
    If you are selling or buying a horse, regardless of the amount, have a contract directly with the buyer/seller and have the funds flow directly as well. As far as an agent - have a Sales Agency Agreement and pay them directly ...and issue a 1099 for tax purposes as is required by the IRS.

Happens all the time - stories abound....but BNT's seem to be teflon coted most of the time if their students bring in the ribbons.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique