The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Apex Equestrian in Raleigh/Durham/Apex area

Does anyone have any experience with this place? I'm thinking of making a change, as I am currently a little unsatisfied. Looking for a good place to bring a young hunter to put into full training. Looking to have the horse shown pre greens on the rated circuit about 10-15 times a year. Looking to move up to the first years in a year or two.

I thought their website looked a little jumpery?

Please respond or PM me.

Thanks so very much.

I'm not a hunter anymore, but when I think of Apex Equestrian, jumpers come to mind first. Have you looked at Finally Farm in Raleigh or Trademark Stables in Apex? Both are smaller barns that have a different approach than some of the fancier places and both have trainers who I've met and respect (for different reasons).
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Apex is most certainly more jumper based. But you have lots of options and there are a lot of threads on her about the Raleigh area. Best of luck!
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the
    inside of a man.

-Sir Winston Churchill

I don't think the OP does have a lot of options for full training and a busy A circuit schedule (10-15 shows a year) I certainly can't think of a barn with a full time trainer in the West Cary/Apex area that goes to rated shows. I can think of hunter riders that are proven and excellent with young horses but not in the immediate area with their own barns.

From what I read on the website, they do hunters as well.

Quote "Brittany had numerous placings in her first show of the season doing the Adult Hunters!"

To me it sounds like they accept all levels of riders/horses, and all types!

Quote Originally Posted by woodhillsmanhattan View Post
    Apex is most certainly more jumper based. But you have lots of options and there are a lot of threads on her about the Raleigh area. Best of luck!
    ^ I also believe they are more jumper focused (not to say that they "can't" do hunters). I would look around the area and look at the other options as well; as mentioned there are several threads.
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

Run. Don't walk, run.

I have bought some hunters from them and sold some and have found them to be quite likeable people. Their facility is quite nice and their horses very well cared for. They had a recent trainer change and that may be the basis for the "altertomyalter" comment.....go see for yourself

Kyle does a great job. Go and see for yourself and talk to them personally.
    Some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue