The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone else have trouble staying in riding shape?

So here's the deal: I'm currently have leasing and due to time and migraine issues I usually end up only riding twice a week. when i have to ride, say two days in a row, I feel like the horse has been riding me. this is lack of fitness, pure an simple, but I haven't had many chances to work out. Now that i have the migraines more under control I want to start exercising properly and i was thinking the COTH gang might give me some ideas.

For those of you that deal or have dealt with lack of fitness to ride, what got you back on track? I'm thinking of doing yoga, to help with my flexibility and start running because, well, I need to get some leg muscle.
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that to be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by DottieHQ View Post
    You're just jealous because you lack my extensive koalafications.

I run. If you have a smartphone the C25K (Couch to 5k) app is free and it's what got me back in running form after I had a baby. I belive that there is a website too. If you want, I can PM you the workouts I do on top of that. It hits just about every muscle group, and changes it up throughout the week so it doesn't get boring.

I love yoga, but with a 7.5 month old and a puppy, my house isn't really the place to be quiet and peaceful.

I wish I had the time to take a few Zumba classes, I've heard really good things about it, but I'd rather go to the barn in my free time.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Not smartphone for me, but I made a test run and it didn't work out too well. I'm gonna have to start slow and i forget about hills for a while. I might do some swimming if i wasn't so tight on cash, but then again if I had the money to spare I'd probably upgrade to a full lease

Quote Originally Posted by Niennor View Post
    Not smartphone for me, but I made a test run and it didn't work out too well. I'm gonna have to start slow and i forget about hills for a while. I might do some swimming if i wasn't so tight on cash, but then again if I had the money to spare I'd probably upgrade to a full lease
    Hehe, you sound like me!

The C25K programis really easy and takes about 9 weeks. It starts you alternating running 60 seconds/walking 90 then builds you up from there. You could probably time it with a regular stopwatch.

I'm a big advocate of riders being as fit as possible. It always makes it so much easier to ride correctly!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Hmm, as much as I hate to admit, I'm really in the same boat. I'm active duty and still not as fit as I should be to ride consistently good rides. Sad but true, my hat's off for those of you that are in super riding shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    Hehe, you sound like me!

The C25K programis really easy and takes about 9 weeks. It starts you alternating running 60 seconds/walking 90 then builds you up from there. You could probably time it with a regular stopwatch.

I'm a big advocate of riders being as fit as possible. It always makes it so much easier to ride correctly!
    C25K sounds like a good program, I think I'll give it a shot.

And you're so right about fitness making ride much easier. I didn't realize how much I need to improve my fitness until the BO made me ride with my stirrups 2 holes down. Holly sore muscles, Batman!

Riding a forward athletic horse 3x a week got me in better shape, gauged by which week in the C25K program I was able to parachute in to

Here's another 5K program that I actually preferred to the 9 week C25K program http://www.impactmagazine.ca/running...st-5k-now.html

Also, if you have an iPod there's some C25K podcasts you can download that will talk you through the whole program.

Thanks everyone for the tips. Right now my goal is to be able to ride 3x a week without feeling that I'm about to collapse, but also improve my core, because I'm seriously lacking in the muscle department

Quote Originally Posted by Niennor View Post
    Thanks everyone for the tips. Right now my goal is to be able to ride 3x a week without feeling that I'm about to collapse, but also improve my core, because I'm seriously lacking in the muscle department
    Honestly, the best thing for building muscle is Lift Heavy Stuff. www.stumptuous.com is a pretty good guide for the basics without access to a full gym of equipment, and also addresses diet needs. (If you're trying to build/strengthen muscle, you need to make sure there's enough protein in your diet. No protein to work with, no new muscle cells.)

A good fitness program would be some strength training (weight lifting) and some stuff like running or other cardio to improve your aerobic fitness, plus also rest days. (Your body needs to rest to actually run around making all of the changes you're telling it to make with exercising. Even high level pro athletes figure rest days into their training schedules.)