The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ideas for keepsake with mane hair

This morning I said good bye to my heart horse. It was peaceful and calm and the best end any of us could ask for. We stuffed her full of treats the last 3 days, loved on her and pampered her. This morning my fiance and I went out and gave her breakfast full of everything she loved, including a beer, and sent her on her way.

Due to her medical condition, she didn't have tail hair for me to save, but I did take mane hair. I know that it can't be used for any of the fancy braided bracelets, but there has to be something special I can do with it to keep her with me.

Has anyone done anything with mane hair and have any recommendations?

Thanks!
    Strong promoter of READING the entire post before responding.

I've seen braided keychains. Or you could do earrings, probably.
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

Not sure how these work with shorter hair, but you could try the horsehair pots? So sorry about your girl

Well its long hair. She was retired and I hadn't touched it in years. It measures 13 inches long. The bracelet websites I have been on have said mane hair is too thin and fragile for what they do. I wouldn't even mind if it was mixed with artificial hair to make it, just so some of her is in there.

I saw one website that puts hair in resin to make a charm or pendant for a necklace, but it looked creepy. Maybe I can find someone that does that better...

And thank you for the condolences. It's been a hard few days, but today feels easier than the lead up.
    Strong promoter of READING the entire post before responding.

OK, going to try and get through this post without breaking down. Tears and work are a bad combo (though everyone understands )

I lost my heart horse a little over a month ago. His mane was a huge part of what made him him. His name was Pirate, but we called him Fabio often, because of his long blonde mane, especially when he'd arch his neck and stand in the wind ... that mane was truly gorgeous. That mane was what I cried into when sad, held onto when flying, lovingly brushed and washed and conditioned and braided. His mane was a huge part of him. So even though I took his entire tail ... I took his entire mane too. I apologized and told him he didn't need it anymore ... but I sure did.

I plan on, if nothing else, just braiding and/or banding it whole and making a large swatch - think keychain only larger. Something like this: http://www.pleasantridge.ca/media/ca...e_Keychain.jpg

or this:

http://www.grantsleather.com/Images/kcfr.jpg

only large, and with his entire mane. It'll hang on my dresser mirror, where I can run my fingers through the mane, cry on it if needed, and keep it near me at all times.

His tail - well, something will be made from it. Not sure what yet. Probably keychains, several of which will be sold to benefit our rescue. But I've had a pretty good idea what I want done with his mane since I lost him, even if I can't yet bear to get it done.

Hope that helps.
    If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude.
    ~ Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by Tif_Ann View Post
    OK, going to try and get through this post without breaking down. Tears and work are a bad combo (though everyone understands )

I lost my heart horse a little over a month ago. His mane was a huge part of what made him him. His name was Pirate, but we called him Fabio often, because of his long blonde mane, especially when he'd arch his neck and stand in the wind ... that mane was truly gorgeous. That mane was what I cried into when sad, held onto when flying, lovingly brushed and washed and conditioned and braided. His mane was a huge part of him. So even though I took his entire tail ... I took his entire mane too. I apologized and told him he didn't need it anymore ... but I sure did.

I plan on, if nothing else, just braiding and/or banding it whole and making a large swatch - think keychain only larger. Something like this: http://www.pleasantridge.ca/media/ca...e_Keychain.jpg

or this:

http://www.grantsleather.com/Images/kcfr.jpg

only large, and with his entire mane. It'll hang on my dresser mirror, where I can run my fingers through the mane, cry on it if needed, and keep it near me at all times.

His tail - well, something will be made from it. Not sure what yet. Probably keychains, several of which will be sold to benefit our rescue. But I've had a pretty good idea what I want done with his mane since I lost him, even if I can't yet bear to get it done.

Hope that helps.
    Geez, I just got verklempt at work reading that!

Finders, it will definitely get easier the more that time passes. At least you were fortunate enough to know ahead of time so that you could love and spoil and stuff her face with yummies

I went to visit Bailey Saturday and she was getting a bath. She was her usual serene self. And of course she rolled as soon as possible, being a grey, after her bath.

The girl looked good. I'd not seen her since she moved across the river to SC, but she'd gained weight. She still had those big expressive eyes and that wise look. And she still was flirting with the boys. She put a grey paso in his place when he got too fresh over his stall door.

She was always a well mannered and nice mare. But the ringbone had gotten worse since I'd last seen her. And her melanomas had grown worse so she was not going to get better, even with her meds.

She was a serene and well manner and great old mare. Cloudy and Hattie sent her a small gift Saturday to eat over the weekend. Bailey still had a great appetite.

I like a picture frame with the mane as part of the frame. Mane hair is softer but there is a lot that can be done with it and it makes a beautiful detail on a frame.

I'm sorry.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by FindersKeepers View Post
    This morning I said good bye to my heart horse. It was peaceful and calm and the best end any of us could ask for. We stuffed her full of treats the last 3 days, loved on her and pampered her. This morning my fiance and I went out and gave her breakfast full of everything she loved, including a beer, and sent her on her way.

Due to her medical condition, she didn't have tail hair for me to save, but I did take mane hair. I know that it can't be used for any of the fancy braided bracelets, but there has to be something special I can do with it to keep her with me.

Has anyone done anything with mane hair and have any recommendations?

Thanks!
    Is there another horse you could get enough tail hair from to combine with your mares mane hair for a bracelet??

I'm so sorry....it does get easier with time.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

So sorry for your loss Finders...you gave Bailey a wonderful life and a dignified, peaceful send off. She could not have asked for more.

Maybe you could email a few of the jewelry makers and ask them what they recommend. I'm sure you won't be the first person with this issue and they may have some good ideas to incorporate B's mane hair with material they have to create a keepsake as special as Bailey.