The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I just don't know what to think

I don't usually shake my head over CL listings - I know people are just doing the best they can. But this one really has me wondering.

"Beautiful thorobred gelding.....

Picks up feet with a wonderful gaited trot and lope. Does not need weighted shoes for elongated foot action, natural horsemanship trained for gentle riding."

I would take it to mean that it is a purebred flat shod Walker..thorobred as in pure bred, not as in thoroughbred as in racehorse. Of course, I could be completely wrong.

I'd think the same thing as above and very bad grammar.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Quote Originally Posted by tradewind View Post
    I would take it to mean that it is a purebred flat shod Walker..thorobred as in pure bred, not as in thoroughbred as in racehorse. Of course, I could be completely wrong.
    But it lopes.

ThoroughQuarterWalkerBred.

So what about "gaited trot"? Do they mean a nice trot?

I do understand that there is big difference in terminology between the gaited and non-gaited worlds - I rode a TWH once and the owner didn't understand me when I used the phrase "gait", nor did she understand that I was going to go a bit faster than her QH when I asked for the gait. A TWH can poke along just as disjointedly and on the forehand as any other breed - collect them up and make 'em move out and you get the comfortable gait.

There is just so much variance in what gets taught about horses out there, old wives tales, regional lore, this or that discipline. It sure gives me a headache.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible