The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

I don't know any way to block them. I'm usually able to close them out, but I can GUARANTEE I will not be buying any of the products thus advertised. For instance, my husband wants to buy a small lawn tractor. Now I know it will not be a John Deere.

For me it seems to be some days are worse than others. I have had days where I have 1 -3 pop ups while here, and then others I don't have any, and then yesterday.....BW3,BW3,BW3,JD,JD,JD...so many that I can't clear the screen fast enough to read the content for which I am here to read.

I second the empty space to the left and the empty space to the bottom of the screen on the right for the threads that have more posts.

They are showing up on every page for me tonight, and they are running a script that is temporarily causing my browser (Firefox) to seize, go grey, and then it complains that a script on this site has stopped working. It's obnoxious enough when it's working properly, please at least make it stop crashing my (up-to-date) browser!

Quote Originally Posted by candyappy View Post
    They can't, because just like us the ads lock up their computer.

I do seem to be having them pop up more frequently tonight. Very annoying. Pretty much every page I've opened has one creeping into view. Yuk.

I'm getting the Ram ad on literally (I wish I were exaggerating!!) every page I load. Every. Single. Page.

UGH. It's freezing Firefox and crap too. It's enough for me to abandon browsing... I guess I'll check back tomorrow and hope it isn't as incessant.

Just as I scrolled to the end here to add my complaints, at least 3-4 ads sprung up on this thread alone. Makes my forum experience far, far less than pleasant.

Plus, it seems like my computer is running slower because of these ads.

The ads are crashing my tablet! Poorly done, COTH folks. I too will not be buying from any of your advertisers until these go away. Another vote for "don't mind the side ads, but the bottom ones!"
    Sorry to see xtranormal is gone
    For funnies, search youtube for horseyninjawarrior!

Www.caringbridge.org/visit/mysecretgarden

Just sent an e-mail to Dawn@chronofhorse.com & SLee@chronofhorse.com; who are listed as advertising contacts -- feel free to copy & paste or come up with something better:

Dear CotH Advertising Execs -
    Not sure whether we should just contact advertisers directly and tell each of them that their ads on CotH are crashing our browsers and making us hate them since there has been no response from CotH???

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=370389

I am pretty irritated about the browser & iPad crashing ads; but if I were one of the companies paying to advertise - Dodge Ram; John Deere; etc. I would be livid to find out my brand was being advertised in a way that alienated, and if it turned out I was being billed for click throughs from people who were just trying to close my irritating ad; let's just say that I would never be advertising w/ that entity again.

This is one of the dumbest marketing / advertising clusterfudges that I can think of; and I do think the brands need to be contacted directly if CotH refuses to even respond to complaints about browsers and tablets crashing. Ugh. So. dumb.
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Hinderella View Post
    I don't know any way to block them. I'm usually able to close them out, but I can GUARANTEE I will not be buying any of the products thus advertised. For instance, my husband wants to buy a small lawn tractor. Now I know it will not be a John Deere.
    I'm right there with you. Except for those items we may own already, we have pledged to NEVER EVER buy any product or frequent anyplace that posts/sends annoying web ads. And I've always sent that sentiment to corporate headquarters of any/all advertised products.

They may laugh it off & automatically delete now, but I'm sure that the time will come when they won't be laughing anymore.

I have been a member of the forum for a VERY long time, and ignored the ads all of this time, but now it has become way too much. Adblocker to the rescue!

I really, REALLY miss the old days ads from maybe 5+ years ago? They were fun and I often clicked.

Adblocker for Firefox is AMAZING!

I guess the Mods don't consider this an important issue. Otherwise one would think SOMEONE from the powers that be would have chimed in by now. My guess is that the ad money generated by these ads severely outweighs COTH posters.

These stupid pop-up truck ads are uber annoying beyond belief. One has to wonder if the companies using this bullsh*t advertising realize how they're alienating instead of attracting customers.
    Last edited by Bacardi1; Oct. 15, 2012 at 12:51 PM. Reason: spelling error

hey guys - for those of you who dont have to worry about work IT folks - go get AdBlocker - pronto! it WORKS!

I was tolerant of the ads at first, a pop up once in a while I can deal with, but it is getting ridiculous, pop-ups on pretty much every page, and half the time the "close" button blends in with the ad. Oh and forget trying to close it on a smartphone, took me a full minute to zoom properly.

I'm not getting AdBlock, I don't want to download one more thing on my Mac, and I LIKE seeing some of the ads, I don't want them all gone.

It saddens and disappoints me that our concerns are being ignored.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I am also really annoyed at the intrusive pop up ads, but I don't think our concerns are being ignored at this point.

Ads are generally placed through agencies, and there are contracts involved. Most of those folks don't work on weekends, so they likely only heard of the concerns that surfaced over the weekend this morning, and it will probably take them some time to digest the information, figure out what their options are (if the contracts allow them any flexibility) and then craft a response.

IMO, these forums are a great resource that are probably fairly costly for COTH to support. I don't know how many COTH forum posters are subscribers to the print and/or digital publications, but I *am* quite sure there are many who enjoy the forums at no cost whatsoever. Many sites have gone to subscription models to support the content they provide; that way they can continue to afford to keep the sites running, generate content etc. The Chronicle has been generous, IMO, in not taking that position.

Like others, I actually find the static ads on the right side of the site to often offer interesting info/convenient links to products and services that are of interest to me. I don't find them intrusive. The pop up/floater ads on the other hand, with their deliberately difficult-to-use close button, are a different story. The use of deliberately intrusive advertising is likely to backfire, because as previously noted, it encourages the use of Ad blocking, which does not discriminate between "acceptable (i.e., static right side) ads" and those that are pop ups/floating. There are also people who will not be able to install blocker software for whatever reason, who will be discouraged from using the site, which makes the site less valuable from an advertising point of view.

I imagine that the powers that be within COTH are probably taking all this in and will chime in with a response once they have thought through the situation a bit further; let's give them the benefit of the doubt here for a bit and see what they come back with before we claim we are being ignored.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    Most of those folks don't work on weekends, so they likely only heard of the concerns that surfaced over the weekend this morning, and it will probably take them some time to digest the information, figure out what their options are (if the contracts allow them any flexibility) and then craft a response.
    This thread has been in existence for a full week so they had all last week to digest the information.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    This thread has been in existence for a full week so they had all last week to digest the information.
    My guess is that there are contracts involved that would take a fair amount of time to un-do, if in fact that is even possible.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

i highly doubt anything will be done... the ads are doing what they are supposed to do... people are paying attention to the advertiser and clicking....

why would they want to change that?

and probably COTH themselves have nothing to do with it - i am sure they outsource the banners ads etc

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    i highly doubt anything will be done... the ads are doing what they are supposed to do... people are paying attention to the advertiser and clicking....

why would they want to change that?
    Because these ads are causing people who otherwise would not to download adblocker software so no ads are being seen.

In the big picture that is much worse than before since now even more people are not seeing any ads.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    My guess is that there are contracts involved that would take a fair amount of time to un-do, if in fact that is even possible.
    Oh, I agree with this. I was just pointing out that the powers that be have known about it for a week, not just this morning.

I agree, it's disappointing that nobody from The Chronicle has responded in any way after more than a week.