The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by horsepoor View Post
    Yep, still there. Haven't crashed my iPad lately, so perhaps it is adjusting. I just close the tab and leave the page as that is easier tan finding the always hidden on a dark spot "close" x.
    ^THIS. My ipad crashed several times yesterday. Never happened before. When your floater ads start crashing my iPad, we are going to have a problem -- unless these floater ad people & CotH will be buying me a new iPad. Seriously NOT cool!

Is there an adBlocker or alternate browser for iPad?
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

My computer has been freezing up only while I'm COTH. The stupid truck one has been popping up today.

Yup, started up again.

Sadly, no input from the Mods of what is going on here.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

I've had to switch to compatibility mode to view the forum properly. The banner ads are impossible on my phone because they scroll with you. You cannot zoom out or in without the banner obscuring your whole screen and you can't seem to scroll over to where you can click the Close X.

I do click on ads on the sidebar ocassionally, and I do learn about new products that way, but I will not be reading the chronicle forums anymore if these banners do not go away asap. They cause crashing and great frustration.

For example, I just clicked on the PureEq ad for the anti inflammatory. I am looking for just such a thing and had never heard of that product before. I like the ads on the side for informational purposes. Those advertisers will not be getting my clicks anymore because I will not be visiting and reading the chronicle forums if I have to deal with these huge ads on the bottom of my screen. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytbs View Post
    Yup, started up again.

Since this thread is in off course instead of the help section it might simply be that the mods forgot about it. Send an alert if you want them to notice it.

Oh, Yuck. I don't have any problems with the pop up or floating ads, because I use AdBlock Plus, but as of today COTH seems to have started selling "ad words." These are words in a post that are unlined and linked and if your cursor happens to touch them, up pops an ad for just about ANYTHING.

I HATE IT!
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonesta View Post
    Oh, Yuck. I don't have any problems with the pop up or floating ads, because I use AdBlock Plus, but as of today COTH seems to have started selling "ad words." These are words in a post that are unlined and linked and if your cursor happens to touch them, up pops an ad for just about ANYTHING.

I HATE IT!
    That's not COTH. That's your computer. Do a google search and it will tell you how to fix it or you can try running malware bytes or something similar. It happened to our work computers once.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    Since this thread is in off course instead of the help section it might simply be that the mods forgot about it. Send an alert if you want them to notice it.
    Please don't. The mods are aware of the issue. Bugging them won't get anything solved faster. Besides, they can't do anything but bring it to the attention of the people who can, and they've already done that.

I haven't experienced any today and I have been on here 20 minutes. I had a heck of a time finding the (close X) and kept having to view the ads. Why can't they just put them along the sides? Maybe they are gone now?

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytbs View Post
    Yup, started up again.

Actually, Mod3 weighed in a few pages ago, saying that this is out of the hands of the forum moderation but that she would bring it to the attention of the people who can do something about it.

Not much the mods can do except that.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post
    Actually, Mod3 weighed in a few pages ago, saying that this is out of the hands of the forum moderation but that she would bring it to the attention of the people who can do something about it.

Not much the mods can do except that.
    Thank you, I must have missed it.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

They are truly annoying, especially on the netbook I use when I travel.

All they do for me is assure i will never buy a product that pops up without me asking it to!
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

I can't get rid of the ram ad,it doesn't go away like some of the others and I can't find the close button, anyone know where it is in the ad?
    where am I, what day is it, am I still having a good time?

Ugh, I know mods can't do anything but forward our complaints up the line, but who would think these kind of ads are ever a good thing? They're incredibly intrusive and are filling me with hatred for Ram, and a strong dislike for COTH management.

I have set the pop-up blocker to the maximum, high security and some of these things go away for a while- then a couple come back. Troubling.

By using the highest setting, I have to click "allow" for every link that I might want to go to, including the ADDS, Coth.

Not only is it annoying, it's going to keep people FROM clicking ads because it won't be worth the extra steps to click on the link.

Annoying + extra steps does not = increased revenue.

Quite the opposite.....

On edit:
    Also, when you have graphics galore already, then add in movement, older systems are not going to handle that as well. People do still have older systems. Another annoyance, in fact, it can get downright crippling.

Now the ads are even more irksome because they are preventing me from moving around on the screen.

I agree, this will decrease the amount of time I spend on COTH.

Just got my first one today. REALLY ANNOYING, as they move up and down the screen with you.

The one I got was for Buffalo Wild Wings. I've never even visited one of their websites, and don't think we have a restaurant in my area.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

If I see one more RAM ad I might actually install ad blocker. ARRGHHHH.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

John Deere floater ad at the bottom is driving me nutty. Keeps locking up the iPad and the Mac.

Still nothing for me. Maybe they are blocked in Canada, but I do have AdBlocker on. For those of you on work computers, maybe get the hint and don't browse while at work!!

I just tried to browse on my phone and I get them there... so will add Adblocker there as well.