The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

They seem to be increasing in frequency
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

FINALLY got a floater with a visible "X" to close it out!

Not sure this will work for the smartphones, but if they all popup like this I can live with it.
    Not like it, but doable.

And for you FalseImpression:
    Pbbbbffffttt!
    As long as I can do my (99% phone)work & browse COTH I'll be doing that.
    FYI, I've been a manager w/staff of 13, and as long as the productivity did not suffer I could have cared less what the worker bees amused themselves with.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

worst part is that the "close" button is nearly impossible to see. No likely COTH!!

...there's a 'close' button?

Quote Originally Posted by charismaryllis View Post
    ...there's a 'close' button?
    Look about an inch above the top rt corner, and about a 1/2 inch to the rt. It blends into the other ad, but it's there.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    Look about an inch above the top rt corner, and about a 1/2 inch to the rt. It blends into the other ad, but it's there.
    Even if I can find it, half the time when I click on "close" it takes me to either the banner ad or the ad behind it. Very bad.

Forgive me if this is not in response, or is redundant - just didn't wish to read through 7 pages. But I got rid of the banner ads as soon as I started using Google Chrome, and was able to adjust the settings to ignore them. This is on a Dell laptop using Windows XP.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

This is getting ridiculous! For the third time in as many days, that stupid banner ad has locked up my computer! I have to completely kill the power and re-boot to get back up.

FWIW, I'm running Firefox that was upgraded two days ago.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by CVPeg View Post
    Forgive me if this is not in response, or is redundant - just didn't wish to read through 7 pages. But I got rid of the banner ads as soon as I started using Google Chrome, and was able to adjust the settings to ignore them. This is on a Dell laptop using Windows XP.
    I have Google Chrome running XP on a PC, and I'm still getting them! I've checked my Chrome settings and they are supposed to be blocked. Did you do something different?

They pop up, I pop out. Great way to ruin a good forum.

I'm starting to consider AdBlocker myself. This has been going on since the weekend, and we get no updates or explanations. Or relief. Either COTHBB has been hijacked or COTH management has decided to actively drive away members and decrease the number of visits to the board. Not sure how that will drive ad revenue...It has really "cheapened" the site. And meanwhile, I am also adding to my list of products I will never buy. Those tractors are overrated anyway, right?
    Only one cat - must not be totally crazy yet!

Quote Originally Posted by CVPeg View Post
    I use Chrome too and they're still a popping. My settings are such that they shouldn't be popping up. These are the only pop-ups I get. Boo, hiss
    where am I, what day is it, am I still having a good time?

This ram add is getting so annoying I am ready to stop posting.

This is getting ridiculous.

I can't even read a thread without it popping up.

Come on moderators, please stop this madness!

The Canadian BB was closed for a good week due to hackers. I never really saw what the problem was because my antivirus software warned me every time I logged on. They had so many complaints they finally closed the bb down and fixed it.

I am on a PC using FF and AdBlock Plus and have not seen a single one of those ads. I don't have the sidebar and no ads on FB either. It is great.
    I did see a floater ad on my phone when I tried browsing the BB, but I really don't have to go there anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by downen View Post
    I have Google Chrome running XP on a PC, and I'm still getting them! I've checked my Chrome settings and they are supposed to be blocked. Did you do something different?
    I use Chrome too and they're still a popping. My settings are such that they shouldn't be popping up. These are the only pop-ups I get. Boo, hiss
    You're right - sorry. I did have to add AdBlock. It's worked beautifully. Has eliminated loads of ads on other sites as well.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Well, if COTH's mission was to drive more forum users to install Ad Blockers thereby assuring that fewer and fewer users would see any of COTH's advertisers ads, it would appear that they have been wildly successful.

So is there an Ad Blocker type program for iPad? I haven't looked into it, since I never really had a problem until now. But I'm tired of these...especially the rut buster bag one. I mean, what does that have to do with a horse forum audience (yes, I'm sure some hunt game, but I'd guess the majority here do not).

Ugh. There is an acre of unused screen real estate on the left and right of my browser window. Use *that* instead of obliterating the bottom of my screen.

I'm _all_ for ad-supported content. Somebody has to pay for the administration and bandwidth, and we are a very attractive demographic.

I've been fairly successful just refreshing the browser since they don't show up on every page. But the ads are annoying, and NOT making me want to buy whatever the product is.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

Will the MODS respond???

Quote Originally Posted by GallopHer View Post
    Will the MODS respond???
    They can't, because just like us the ads lock up their computer.