The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JenEM View Post
    Yes, so I would think that the mods, the staff at COTH selling ads, and the other advertisers would care greatly that some of us who have, in the past, not only clicked through but bought things because of sidebar/banner ads (which for the record I do not mind at all, and kind of miss seeing when I'm surfing at home), have now blocked everything because of poor advertising choices by a few. So not only am I not going to patronize John Deere, Buffalo Wild Wings, Dodge, or the state of Michigan () because of the pop-ups, other retailers that I would and have buy from, like SmartPak and BoB, are also losing out, because I won't see their ads. I'd think that would get someone on it ASAP.
    Well said.

These new floater ads at the bottom on the screens are WAY more intrusive than the sidebar ads, especially since they affect the readabilily of this forum by dimming the font. Even after closing the ad, the font remains hard to read until I leave that screen or refresh it.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

You can quickly change the screen to clean text only using readability

It's great for when your eyes get tired or you don't like a particular animation of any kind, easy to go back and forth to original page without canceling everything.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Yabbut aren't we talking to the Mods because COTH purchased this new species of annoying ads as opposed to the old ones to which we have all adapted?

Does your adblocking stuff block all ads? If so, y'all are killing off all ad species-- good and bad-- and then there will be no organic matter farther up on the food chain for us to read.

Did you follow all that?
    Yes, and that is one reason I do not want to install adblocker, even if it is "safe." I actually like the ads on the side of COTH (facebook is a whole nother story!), and as I am not a paying member I feel like I at least owe the site the right to permanent, non floaty ads. I actually often click on the side ads and have found companies/products I would not have otherwise known about through them.

I know it's only been one business day and we can't expect miracles, but I really hope the mods/tech people will do something about these.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

I like the side ads, too! I've visited many of the sites to check out products, and never found them to be annoying when I just wanted to read the forums.

However, the floating ad was just too much. It was annoying on my laptop, and just unbearable on the tablet. So now both machines have adblocker. I miss the side ads - I really, really do - but I just can't tolerate the floating ad.

I hope the mods will let us know if the floating ad goes, because I'll turn off the adblocker so I can enjoy the side ads again.

Add me to the list of people who used to read the ads and click on some, UNTIL those annoying floating ads started showing up at the bottom. Bye bye to all! Firefox plus Ad Blocker. Works great. No more ads.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

I also read and sometimes click on the side ads.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Since I would never click on the ads on the side or buy from those companies (I am in Canada)... I have installed AdBlocker a long time ago... and I still have no idea what you are talking about.. Floating ads??? No ads on FB either.. which is great!

As a software sales person, I understand the desire to want to sell an "interesting" new click through idea. From that perspective, I give kudos to the person who sold this concept to COTH.

However, regardless of the feedback COTH gets, it's unlikely those annoying ads are going away anytime soon since the marketing dept probably bought those ads by a block of time, unless of course they negotiated a free trial first in which case our feedback may be a consideration in moving forward with a paid contract.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    Yup. I do not understand all the people who complain and complain about ads, yet won't take three minutes to make them go away permanently. Some people just like to complain.

because some of us are on work computers and can't download things like ad blockers
    "You are under arrest for operating your mouth under the influence of
    ignorance!" Officer Beck

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Quote Originally Posted by LoriO View Post
    because some of us are on work computers and can't download things like ad blockers
    Or because some of us have placed in exceptions for sites we'd like to support, such as COTH, a free service for us which I imagine takes quite a bit of investment on their part.

In case anyone from marketing is reading, the side and top ads are fine. (In case anyone from Horse Quencher is reading, your ads are great.) I have clicked through and purchased products from those ads before. Intrusive bottom banner ads are likely to make me block ads on COTH entirely, which I've resisted doing in the past, even when the creepy eyeball banner ad was sitting on the top of the screen.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    I also read and sometimes click on the side ads.
    Yup, I really want that ranch in Santa Fe. Oh wait, I don't have $2.5 million
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

They show up on my iPad and are hard to click off. The "x" is so small. And I will always click them off. I will never click on one of these ads. I don't care who or what they are advertising. They turn me off completely and are just as bad as pop-ups. Please remove them.
    You are what you dare.

I haven't had any ads pop up since yesterday, so hopefully they are gone now.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

I hate them. Hate, Hate, Hate, HATE them!!!

PS--They are still there. Keep clicking. They'll find you again. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Side ads are great and like everyone else, I sometimes click on them. The pop up stuff is annoying as heck and makes me happy I have a Kubota rather than a John Deere

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytbs View Post
    I haven't had any ads pop up since yesterday, so hopefully they are gone now.
    They're still there...so don't get excited yet!

Yep, still there. Haven't crashed my iPad lately, so perhaps it is adjusting. I just close the tab and leave the page as that is easier tan finding the always hidden on a dark spot "close" x.

It was nice being at work today. At lunch went on COTH, and thank you barracuda filter (work filter) no crappy pop up ads. Very enjoyable.

There is osne at the bottom of my page right now - grrr. It does not seem right to use ad blocker to block all ads from COTH since they supply this forum for free, but I really am going to have to because I cannot stand this Dodge ad t the bottom. I'll give it a couple of days.

Where are you Mods - any comments
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Quote Originally Posted by GotGait View Post
    They show up on my iPad and are hard to click off. The "x" is so small. And I will always click them off. I will never click on one of these ads. I don't care who or what they are advertising. They turn me off completely and are just as bad as pop-ups. Please remove them.
    My iPad locked up and shut itself off several times yesterday w/ these ads -- has never done that before. And, today, one of these crazy ads started playing some sound- scared me!

And my bandwidth is limited & expensive. Floater ads are not cool.

I like the top & sidebar ads, too. And, I completely ignore ads on Facebook. So, A+ on top and sidebar ads & F on Bottom floaters.
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing