The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    Off all the weird things.

The cancel button is hard to see, but it's there. Just be patient and look for it.
    I found it last night on my regular computer. But it just popped up again on my phone and it's just about impossible to get rid of as it grows in size as you make the screen larger.

Really people. I don't mind the ads on the side and even occasionally click on one. These floating things are just not cool...and in fact highly annoying.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Floaters are totally annoying
    So far I've been "treated" to the John Deere & Enjoy MI ones.

As one who spends the majority of her COTH time at work, the solution of downloading ad-blocking software is NOT an option.

Oddly - at home, where I use Flock browser no floaters have shown up...yet ?

Eagerly awaiting MOD's response.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    Yup. I do not understand all the people who complain and complain about ads, yet won't take three minutes to make them go away permanently. Some people just like to complain.
    I have AdBlock here at home, but I'm not allowed to install such things at work, because our IT dept is filled with control freaks! So if I'm doing some lunchtime COTHing, I get attacked by the blasted pop-up.

Even worse than the floating ads is the white text on green background scrolling text ad up at the top that is WAY too fast to read. It gives me a headache!

Please get rid of this thing!!!
    Appy Trails,
    Kathy & Cadet
    member CDCTA www.cdcta.com, TROT www.trot-md.org & Free State Appaloosa Horse Club freestateaphc.org

I don't get the ads on my blackberry, only on the computer. I use google chrome.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Thanks for the tip on Ad Blocker! I just installed it. Fantastic!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Oh dear.... I have yet to get these yet but I dread it now. I get on via mobile Chrome.... I guess I could root my droid and install adblocker but that's just more time then it is worth xP well, at the moment anyway...

I also refuse to buy from floaters, too.... Why must they annoy us so much! It just pushes me away from the product..... So I guess I won't be going to visit any john Deere stores in Michigan now. Oh darn.
    Clancy 17hh chestnut Dutch WB, '99. Owned and loved since '04 and still goin'!

Thought they were gone but today they are baaaack!
    If there are no pets in Heaven then I want to go where they went !!!
    RIP Maybe June 13, 1993-Sept. 23, 2006,Dexter March 11, 1983-Sept. 23, 2009, Joey 1997?- June 21, 2012
    www.equistarfarm.com

Ad blocker or no ad blocker, the point is, the floating ones are annoying, not even horse related so why are they on a horse board?

Sure, anyone can download 3rd party ad blocking software. Like someone stated earlier, been there, done that and will not do it again nor would I suggest doing so to others.
    I don't always feel up to arguing with your ignorance

Is anyone else finding that the font for the thread texts changes when the pop-up ads show up? On my computer the thread font switches from the normal font to something very thin-lined that I have trouble seeing. Really not workable.

And again, I get that the boards can't exist without advertising and that the magazine industry is really hurting now, so ads are needed. but again, anything that burns up bandwidth on my end either doesn't come through on the mobile phone or worse, runs up my bandwidth consumption until my IT guy blocks the site that is causing the burn. Any new add type that is high MB, like anything with automatic video, will get me tossed off the site at this end. It will also stand out to other IT departments, put people over their package limits, etc, which reduces eyeballs in the long run.
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
    www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog

Quote Originally Posted by HorsesinHaiti View Post
    Is anyone else finding that the font for the thread texts changes when the pop-up ads show up? On my computer the thread font switches from the normal font to something very thin-lined that I have trouble seeing. Really not workable.
    YES! It's frustrating as h*ll. In fact, one of those blasted ads just showed up when I hit reply to this post. I did find the "close" button for the ad, and closed it, but my font didn't go back to normal. These ads need to STOP.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

Wow, these things really like me. I've gotten a Buffalo Wild Wings one twice in the past few minutes. And you can't scroll over on a phone to X it out.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

They are certainly popping up more frequently today than yesterday.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

I generally won't install AdBlocker et al because honestly I want COTH to be able to get that revenue.

But, the floating ads appear on EVERY forum page and the close box is frequently invisible. It requires extra thought and effort to close them every time. I would mind them a lot less if they came up, say, once an hour rather than on every page view, and if either they went away from a click anywhere not on the ad or if the close box was extremely clear and easy to find.

I hope a solution can be found that balances revenue with user experience.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Have only gotten one on another board, went away on its own. Hasn't come back on this board - yet.

I just had an ad for Louisiana pop up with Cajun waltz blaring in the background. Now, I like Cajun music as much as the next man, but this kind of jump up jolt, both visual and sonic, is uncalled for.
    ----//\\----
    ---//--\\---
    --//----\\--
    -//------\\-

I have one...Pure Michigan..and that's where I'm from. So is "it" reading my stats, too?

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    Floaters are totally annoying
    So far I've been "treated" to the John Deere & Enjoy MI ones.

As one who spends the majority of her COTH time at work, the solution of downloading ad-blocking software is NOT an option.

Oddly - at home, where I use Flock browser no floaters have shown up...yet ?

Eagerly awaiting MOD's response.
    If you can, try editting your hosts file.

http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm
    "The nice thing about memories is the good ones are stronger and linger longer than the bad and we sure have some incredibly good memories." - EverythingButWings

Turned ad-blocker software back on with the advent of these floating ads. I kind of enjoyed seeing what Smartpak/other relevant horse ads showed up, and would click on them if I wanted to read more. I'm not opposed to ads since they do partially fund the site, but within reason. When they start negatively affecting my reading experience, ad-blocker goes back on!