The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking Buying a Baby!

Hello fellow COTH members, It's been awhile since I've posted but after riding for about eleven years I've decided to buy a baby I want your opinions on this little prospect his name is Skippen The Bid and I actually think he has some cute movement feel free to comment Thanks!!

http://youtu.be/YBVp9DGH7Gs
    when the world turns on you your horse will be there.
    -ariah

What are you looking to do with him?

not to be stalky, but I googled his EquineNow ad... this would concern me a bit "Max is a great guy, he was sold at a few weeks old with his Dam and was not taken care of, we took him back a couple of months ago." I'm much more familiar with warmbloods, so maybe this isn't as much of a concern for a qh, but I would be worried about the possible developmental consequences of having what was most likely improper nutrition as a yearling (ocd, etc.).

Just have to say that the title of this thread made me do a double take, though probably because I was just discussing having/adopting kids with my sister. (me: "Wait, you can buy those? Oh...")

He looks cute!
    If the pony spits venom in your face or produces a loud roar, it is probably not a pony. Find another. -The Oatmeal

I would be concerned that a baby this age is being lunged.

I would ask the current owners not to longe the horse anymore if you plan on buying. He looks nice enough, but a conformation photo would be helpful, along with sire and dam photos.

Babies change so much..

Do not lunge a baby, repeat do not lunge a baby, repeat...really, No.

QH shows have longe line classes for yearlings, so it is not unusual for them to longe babies. One of my mares learned to longe as a yearling because she was showing in hand at two shows almost 200 miles from home. Seemed like a better idea to stay down there for 5 days than it did to haul the baby that far twice. No turn out. She's 21 this year and sound as can be, so I guess I didn't ruin her for live by teaching her to longe that week.

He's halter bred. This is his grandsire: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...Q9QEwAw&dur=97

So, that colt may be great... my hunter is by a halter bred paint out of a TB mare... or he may grow up to look like a beef cow... either way he'll probably be super good minded and pretty bomb proof with all the stuff that his current owner hs done with him... and that's always a good thing.

This is just my dumb opinion, but I don't like that much of a "bubble butt" on a hunter/jumper prospect. It does not say "nice long canter" to me.

I would want to see his canter naturally in the field. Love a good round QH butt, but not that much of a curve under the butt.
    Last edited by ToTheNines; Sep. 29, 2012 at 05:02 AM.
    Rest in peace Claudius, we will miss you.

Errrr....not to be catty but if you are going to post a video of somebody lunging a colt as a sales tool? It ought to know how...lets say it does not appear "overschooled" on the line so that's not much of a problem.

OP, are you looking for a Hunter or Jumper here??? Pedigree says something else will be a better fit for it. Hints at conformation when mature also suggest a different career path.

JMO based on coming out of the Western world. Looks like a it will be more beefcake then dancer.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

is there a reason you are considering a QH? Always hard to say with babies but his movement as it is shown is not what I would consider suitable for hunters.
    He looks like a sweet horse, if you want a nice horse to do "whatever" with he could be a good deal.

thanks for the input guys I am definetly still looking and am not just considering a QH i just like the sound mind that usually comes with the breed. I was looking to do the jumper route since I am showing the hunter circuit now on my warmblood and I like the warmblood for the hunters but i'm in no rush and would love to be able to have a hunter jumper or eq prospect on my hands so if anyone knows of anything in the GA area that would be amazing! thanks for your time
    -ariah

Some people who cannot afford WBs do seek out QHs for hunters and jumpers:

Excellent 3'6 jumper we sold a few years ago that was also a cute mover:
    http://www.southcross.com/horses/hor...s/IMG_5390.jpg
    http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/inde...mall_font=1&l=

My halter bred hunter. He might not be perfect, but I also own an 8 year old Hanoverian and I'd rather show my APHA gelding any day just because I enjoy him more:
    http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...43029495eEMRiV
    http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...43029495lrTBFo
    http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/skip+a+print

Good luck OP. It's nice to see someone thinking outside the box when it comes to H/J horse breeds.
    Last edited by OveroHunter; Oct. 1, 2012 at 06:12 PM. Reason: spelling
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

Both of my QHs have been fantastic horses in terms of jumping ability. My pony was a super cute jumper and all around. Never got to show her much past local circuit and 4-H so can't tell ribbon stories. My appendix was a ridiculously good mover and jumper. He could jump anything/everything as long as it wasn't in a ring or off a corner, lol. If you're looking for athleticism with that QH mind look for an Appendix or a foal out of a known athletic sire/dam. Rugged Lark babies are some of the most gorgeous, talented, and sound minded horses I've ever seen. Unfortunately he is no longer with us. Although I have found that QH, while quiet souls, can tend to hold a grudge and remember everything you've ever done to them.

If you're looking for a strong jumper possible hunter Irish Draught & sport horses (like Rich Feller's Flexible) give you the great mind you are looking and tremendous talent
    www.irishdraught.com you can look for sales &/or breeders in your general area
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

I love QHs and have two of my own, one that will be a hunter and one that was a very successful jumper. I worry about this one's breeding and size. Mine are both Appendix, and while one is a beefcake he is a 16.3h beefcake with a huge stride and nice movement. The other is all jumper and 16h.

This colt is cute but not bred to be a hunter and I would think it unlikely that he's going to get above 15.1.

Not a fan of that colt, not for what you want anyways. He looks cute and has a sound mind though.

When I was shopping last year, I wanted an Appendix because, like you, I wanted something quiet and less reactive. DH has two QH mares, both are pretty stoic but sweet and trainable (ok, one isn't sweet, but is trainable). But I wanted something that could do what I wanted, which is jumpers or eventing. I wound up with an Irish Sport Horse.... great mind, yes, but NOT a quiet one. He's a ding dong, but he's apparently doing real well at the trainer's for the last two weeks .
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

I LOVE QH hunters. On movement and type alone, this would not be one I'd choose.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Thanks for all the input I would like to stay under 1000 so it's going to have be that diamond in the rough kind of risk but I think I've found a very cute tb/perch filly
    -ariah

My first successful hunter was an appendix, out of a race-bred quarter horse mare. He was dropped off at a hunter barn when his owner's breeding operation went under, which is where we found him. I loved that he had the extra athleticism of the thoroughbred, but the innate sensibility of a quarter horse.
    I do not necessarily think that the prospect you found (in the video) is the best option, but I have nothing against his breed! There are so many people on this forum that are experts in picking out prospects, so be patient and keep posting!
    Good luck!