The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Halloween Horse/Rider Costume Ideas?

Going to a horse show next weekend and there is a costume contest...any suggestions? 15.3 WB mare- and me, slightly overweight rider

"I'm an idealist. I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way."

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie2337 View Post
    That is adorable, and that pony must be a saint
    I'm going to dress my daughter as a little angel, and her pony as a little devil In reality, it's quite the opposite.

Default Slumber Party Girls

One of my favorite costumes was my daughter dressed in a nightgown with curlers in her hair and slippers. Her flaming chestnut QH mare was in a pink fleece sheet tied with pink ribbons with pink leg wraps and, of course, spongy pink rollers in her mane and tail with a shower cap on her head!! It was soooo cute. Forgot to add my daughter was on the ground, not riding.

I love horsie Halloween

patty

You wanna know how I got these scars?

FB link, I don't know if it'll work, it's not my picture. My poor (or maybe lucky...) horse didn't get much of a costume. Oh youth (his and mine!). lol

We've done Cat in the Hat (horse) and Thing 1 and Thing 2 (kids), Captain Hook, Tinkerbell, and the Tick Tock Crock (Pony), Harry Potter (son) and his broom (pony), Butterflies (kid and pony). This year I was going to do Amelia Earhart (kid) and her plane (pony) and for my son policman and prisoner (pony) but we probably aren't going to a Halloween class this year!!

I'm doing a Halloween jumper derby on Sunday and just made my horse's costume today. I'm going to be a princess (haha) and he's going to be a royal mount. I went to goodwill and found a gold curtain which I cut into the shape of a 3/4 sheet. That, plus a medieval type princess gown with a slit cut into it, is going to be the costume. Add flowers in his mane and tail and bell boots painted gold all we''l be good. We were somewhat limited because he had to be able to jump and canter in the costume. Some other good ideas were a My Pretty Pony horse and rider or Mario and Luigi.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie2337 View Post
    That is soooo cute!!!! What a good pony! Love the "swimmies" on his legs. Very creative.
    ~ Citizens for a Kinder, Gentler COTH...our mantra: Be nice. ~

Last year my favorite lesson pony and I were Hannah Montana and Billy Ray. You can see I am holding my IPOD with the speaker...I was blasting "the best of both worlds" during the costume class while I was holding the microphone up to her mouth.

http://s56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...63829523_n.jpg

This year I am going to be Ariel and she is going to be flounder (since she is fat and yellow). I will post pics after it happens. It will be glorious.
    I WAS a proud member of the *I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday* clique..but now I am 30!!!!!!!!!!!
    My new blog about my Finger Lakes Finest:
    She Ain't No Small Potato!

I'm going to be Hermione this year and my horse is going to be Harry... next year I might borrow a white horse so I can do either She-Ra or Rainbow Brite, or else I'm going to be a fly girl and dress my horse up as a beatbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Rel6 View Post
    Some other good ideas were a My Pretty Pony horse and rider or Mario and Luigi.
    In this vein, Mario (rider) on Yoshi (horse) could be fun and, if you already have a green quarter sheet, not too difficult.

I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Gumby and Pokey, if you have a bay!

Default Ideas

Police Costume for the rider and be a Mounted Patrol unit

Rider and Horse in jail uniforms and be a chain gang, complete with chains of course!

I saw someone be Alice from Alice and Wonderland and have the horse as the White Rabbit (Grey/white pony)

Eeyore (Horse) and Winnie the Pooh or Tigger or Piglet for the rider

Donkey (Horse) and either Shrek or Princess Fiona

Our October show always has a costume pairs class. Folks go all out, including music and gifts for the judge.

DD and her friend were farmers this weekend - their horses were John Deere tractors. Sewed posterboard wheels and JD logos onto green sheets, braided some wheat into the mane, braided their numbers into their tails for license plates (I know that tractors don't have license plates, but we had to do something with their numbers). Girls dressed in overalls, plaid shirts and put cowboy hats on over their helmets. Oh, they jumped a course in tandem while in costume!

Other costumes from this and past years
    - Ponies as pegasus (cute wings sewn onto fabric that went under the saddle, little girls in princess outfits.
    - Lion king - with a chestnut & white paint pony painted to resemble a giraffe
    - Hunters - lots of camo
    - 101 dalmatians - rider as Cruelila DeVil, on a black & white paint
    - Egyptian princesses, horses had hieroglyphics on their rumps in glitter
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

A few years ago my horse was a hula girl (gelding) and I was a surfer. It was so cute, I wish I had a picture! I attached the lei flowers to his boots and braided them in his mane, made a saddle pad with grass skirt trim, lei around his neck (tied two together) and a coconut bra attached to his breastplate. He looked so adorable! I just did a tied up hawaiian shirt and attached flowers all along my charles owen middle part, and lei around my neck of course. Everybody loved our costume!

My last Halloween costime was pulled together at the last minute, but still cute. I'll try to get a picture up, but don't have it at the minute. Pony & I were "married in Vegas". I wore a tuxedo jacket over a white shirt with my breeches and boots, along with big sunglasses, and I carried a champagne bottle and two (plastic) glasses. Pony had the bridal veil, about 10 strands of Mardi Gras beads and she wore her high heels around her neck for her walk of shame
    This years plan is to go as Mary Poppins and a merry-go-round horse