The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Jingles for the Bunny- update post 30 :(

Bunny, of unknown age is not well

Nibbling on hay, not eating pellets. Will munch on small amount of apple, but refuses his favourite treat (banana). Gnawing on chew toys ok, but feeling dumpy so not with the usual gusto.

Took rads of his skull, no dental issues. Abdominal radiographs appear fairly normal, but an ultrasound will tell us more. This wont happen until tuesday, if he can make it that long.

He is a lovely dude, friendly, well behaved and certainly considered one of my "kids". He roams the house with my cat and dogs, he's not just a cage pet.

He is on metacam for pain (assumed it was dental pain at first), he LOVES the taste, but Im not sure its making him feel much better. I have baytril for him, but have not started it yet.

My bunny knowledge is limited. He isnt in distress, and is passing small amounts of soft fecal pellets. He is not dehydrated.

Just hoping for some jingles that he will turn around soon, I have already lost too many animals this year Im not ready to loose another
    Last edited by SquishTheBunny; Oct. 9, 2012 at 08:00 PM.

Jingles

Oh, no! Squish, I hope your bunny turns a corner and is all bright eyed and bushy tailed in the morning.

Jingles!! It's been over a year since I lost my own bunny quite young and quite suddenly, and I miss him all the time. Mine loved bananas too, although preferred them slightly firm! When I had to get pills into him I just tucked them into some banana.

Do hairballs show on abdominal X-rays? I assume the vet would have felt the lump. That's my only guess.

Jingles!

Jingling for your bunny! Poor guy... hope he's feeling better soon.
    I loff my Quarter horse clique

I kill threads dead!

Uh oh. Jingles for the bunny from Florida!!

Big bunny jingles. Pay really close attention to the pooping. GI stasis shuts down the digestive system and can be fatal really quickly. (Oreo bunny.)

I hope your bun feels better soon.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Jingles for Bunny and (((((HUGS))))) for you.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

There is nothing more pitiful than a sad bunny. I just got my young rabbit neutered and he is not feeling too good the day after, although he is eating and drinking and on pain meds.

Sounds like it might be a hairball or something like that. As long as he's eating and pooping, that's a good sign. Soft poop is okay as long it's not hershey squirts.

Maybe try tempting him with some alfalfa hay cubes ? My buns go crazy for them, it's like bunny crack. I steal some from the barn every so often.

Jingles that your bun feels better quickly !

Thanks all,

Bunny is about the same this morning, still nibbling on hay, theres poop in the litter box so I'm not too concerned about a blockage or GI stasis. He has been slowly losing weight for about 2 weeks now, but his mentation is quite good considering. Im sure its something not good, but will give him whatever he wants to eat until he lets me know its time. He is eating sweets well (apples and licorice), but nothing that isnt sweet. He will only eat alfalfa hay, turns his nose up at everything else. At this point, whatever...he eats whatever he wants :_ He still enjoys running aroundthe house, nibbling on his blocks and snuggling with the dogs. I just hope he doesnt decline too fast.

Quote Originally Posted by SquishTheBunny View Post
    Thanks all,

Bunny is about the same this morning, still nibbling on hay, theres poop in the litter box so I'm not too concerned about a blockage or GI stasis. He has been slowly losing weight for about 2 weeks now, but his mentation is quite good considering. Im sure its something not good, but will give him whatever he wants to eat until he lets me know its time. He is eating sweets well (apples and licorice), but nothing that isnt sweet. He will only eat alfalfa hay, turns his nose up at everything else. At this point, whatever...he eats whatever he wants :_ He still enjoys running aroundthe house, nibbling on his blocks and snuggling with the dogs. I just hope he doesnt decline too fast.
    I'd ask your vet about a calorie supplement for him.

I have an old, dying cat who isn't quite ready to go yet, but he has trouble eating enough calories. I picked up a tube of NutriCal, which has worked miracles for him...noticable weight gain in under a week. There are dog and cat versions that are meat flavored, but there has to be something out there okay for bunnies....Pediasure or something like that!

There is a high-calorie food supplement; it is called Critical Care made especially for rabbits.

http://www.calvetsupply.com/product/...petite_Calorie

You have to administer it with an eyedropper/syringe and it's very messy.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

I (unfortunately) care for two house rabbits, and I have an observation. I have always kept 'treats' to a minimum, believing that rabbits and horses are pretty similar in many ways. I understand the bit of banana--both of our rabbits LOVE their morning banana; they also receive ONE peanut in the evenings, along with the dratted pet mice. HOWEVER, we feed them parsley, GOOD lettuce (no iceberg), kale, greens, a bit of carrot or broccoli or celery greens, and a great deal of good timothy hay all day long. I would think the licorice (and I LOVE black licorice) would not be a good thing.

Just sayin'...

I dearly wish I could find a good home for our house bunnies. They are daughter's, who has since graduated school, and discovered World of Warcraft, boys, a job and a social life. I spend an hour several evening a week with Mags, the tame, fixed, and housebroken one, and her older, unfixed or litter-trained doe-friend, Truffles-the-Berzerker. There is a room in the basement that is theirs to run around in under supervision.

Hubby bought our daughter Mags, and we did everything right, including allowing her to keep company with the dog and cats. Truffles was a 'gift' from a school friend, who was already too old to alter, and impossible to teach basic housekeeping. Plus, Truffles bites, scratches, and growls.

I love little Mags. The cats still keep her company, but through the grid of the 'bunny ranch' which is a 6' by 4' enclosure.

Did he have blood work done? I guess I'd check the gums, skin pinch test for hydration and keep taking his temp. Jingles to you and him.

Quote Originally Posted by Kat the Horse View Post
    I (unfortunately) care for two house rabbits, and I have an observation. I have always kept 'treats' to a minimum, believing that rabbits and horses are pretty similar in many ways. I understand the bit of banana--both of our rabbits LOVE their morning banana; they also receive ONE peanut in the evenings, along with the dratted pet mice. HOWEVER, we feed them parsley, GOOD lettuce (no iceberg), kale, greens, a bit of carrot or broccoli or celery greens, and a great deal of good timothy hay all day long. I would think the licorice (and I LOVE black licorice) would not be a good thing.

Just sayin'...

I dearly wish I could find a good home for our house bunnies. They are daughter's, who has since graduated school, and discovered World of Warcraft, boys, a job and a social life. I spend an hour several evening a week with Mags, the tame, fixed, and housebroken one, and her older, unfixed or litter-trained doe-friend, Truffles-the-Berzerker. There is a room in the basement that is theirs to run around in under supervision.

Hubby bought our daughter Mags, and we did everything right, including allowing her to keep company with the dog and cats. Truffles was a 'gift' from a school friend, who was already too old to alter, and impossible to teach basic housekeeping. Plus, Truffles bites, scratches, and growls.

I love little Mags. The cats still keep her company, but through the grid of the 'bunny ranch' which is a 6' by 4' enclosure.
    No,Im sure licorice is not a good thing for them. "Treats" have been kept to a minimum (he was fed pellets, timothy hay, varietyof greens, but no iceburg), with a small piece of carrot, banana or apple in the morning. I discovered he liked licorice when grabbed a piece out of my hand and took off with it! I thought brocolli was very bad for them?

But, he is barely eating now... so, in his final days, he can eat whatever he wants and I am fine with that

In my final days, sure to hell Im going to be eating a vast amount of chips and dip!

He is hydrated, gums are pink and slippery. Im going to run some blood on tuesday. Was really hoping it was his teeth - those are fixable.

Default Jingles for your bunny ``` AO ~ ((hugs)) for both ~

Jingles & AO for your bunny ~ ((hugs)) for both ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

We had a bun die last winter in much the same way, slow fade...

spoil him and love him up with his treats, you know what you're doing.

Sorry to hear.

Jingles, Squish. I know your bunny is getting the best.

How come an ultrasound can't be done until Tuesday?

Did you take him to a rabbit savvy vet? It doesn't sound like whoever you took him too has experience with small animals. Rabbits are considered "exotics" and should be looked at by vets who specialize in exotics and small animals.

I've owned and bred rabbits for the past 6/7 years, and do a lot of home treatments. To me it sounds like an early bout of GI Stasis, but you say that he's eating, not dehyrdated, and pooping. I'd definitely stop the licorice. Whatever is going on, that is not going to help one bit. Also stop with the apple - try some pineapple and pineapple juice and parsley. That will help clear up any blockages that may be going on.

Get a hold of some Vit C tablets and mash one up in some water and give him a few cc's of that. Vit C works wonders on lots of rabbit illnesses. Saved one of my does who was supposed to die because of her illness. I swear by it now.

Hope the little guy pulls through.