The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The Days Inn in Van Ness (Washington, DC Uptown) has rooms for $189 that weekend. It's right next to a metro stop (Van Ness) and could get you downtown in a matter of minutes. This is a very safe neighborhood!

Also, Matchbox is supposed to have great pizza and beer. Haven't been yet, but my coworkers rave about it.
    Matchbox is hands down my favorite restaurant in the city (they do an awesome brunch too). You'll probably have to wait, but it's well worth any wait. It's right around the corner from the Verizon center.
    For quick-ish food in the area, Nando's is my favorite. Their chicken and mashed potatoes make me an extremely happy girl.

The Days Inn in Van Ness (Washington, DC Uptown) has rooms for $189 that weekend. It's right next to a metro stop (Van Ness) and could get you downtown in a matter of minutes. This is a very safe neighborhood!
    That hotel is a dump though, IMO, unless the renovated recently. We used to use it for work (I work up the street) and it's so not worth the money. The only thing it has going for it is location. I'd much rather stay further out and not worry about roaches.

I really appreciate the restaurant suggestions, too -- keep 'em coming! I want to avoid overpriced concessions at the Verizon center at all costs. Gotta save that money for overpriced WIHS souvenirs!
    "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." - Tesio

Quote Originally Posted by Donkerbruin View Post
    I really appreciate the restaurant suggestions, too -- keep 'em coming! I want to avoid overpriced concessions at the Verizon center at all costs. Gotta save that money for overpriced WIHS souvenirs!
    Clyde's (literally right next to Verizon) is my absolute favorite for crab cakes. They also have a great brunch. Carmine's is great family-style Italian also right near Verizon. Hill Country Barbecue and Chop't are great for a casual lunch. Eat First is my favorite Chinatown "chinese". There is also a good gelato place down the street, can't remember the name though. Crumbs cupcakes is close and one of my favorite cupcakes in DC.

I've never been a huge fan of Matchbox, but everyone else seems to love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Donkerbruin View Post
    Food at Verizon is a total rip-off, especially when there's so much nearby that's delicious and reasonable. I don't know if you're going to watch any of the hunter stuff during the day, but I know that the last time I did, I came over first thing in the morning, and they let me come right in with food, but none of the vendors were open. And they may have gotten fussier about it, as it's been about 3 years since I've done that. You're very smart to eat elsewhere and save money for souvenirs (though shopping at WIHS is not as good as Harrisburg, from what I remember of shopping there).

Quote Originally Posted by brooksbaby View Post
    Clyde's (literally right next to Verizon) is my absolute favorite for crab cakes. They also have a great brunch. Carmine's is great family-style Italian also right near Verizon. Hill Country Barbecue and Chop't are great for a casual lunch. Eat First is my favorite Chinatown "chinese". There is also a good gelato place down the street, can't remember the name though. Crumbs cupcakes is close and one of my favorite cupcakes in DC.

I've never been a huge fan of Matchbox, but everyone else seems to love it.
    I'm not a fan of Chop't, they're really overpriced for what you get, IMO. But Crumbs, oh, how I love their cupcakes! Especially the Squiggle. There's also an Irish pub up 7th a block or so that's nice as a bar, though I've never actually consumed food there. We watched world cup rugby there last year! If you've not been to DC before, and will around Sunday, I might also recommend doing brunch at Old Ebbitt Grill, which is one of the old-school Washingtonian restaurants that's a little overpriced, but the atmosphere is fabulous, and it's reasonable for brunch.

Oh wow you got a great deal!

I love Chop't, if you want something healthy, they have really big made to order salads. I think it helps a lot if you remember to ask for salt and pepper when they get to the "what dressing do you want" stage.

There is also a Chipotle right there and a Starbucks up on the corner. Also if you go to Rocket Bar, you can take your own food in It's super divey but it's cheap!!

La Tasca is right accross the street and has maybe 6 or 8 types of sangria. I've heard they have a good happy hour.

Also, even though it's technically Chinatown, I wouldn't recommend any of the Chinese places.

The one thing I will say is I would be super careful of your bag and not put it on the back of your chair if you go out to eat around there. There can be pickpockets in the area.

Definitely Priceline it! I got a 4 star hotel right next to the Metro on New Years Eve last year for $109 on Priceline!

A bit of a longer metro ride but lots of cheaper priced name brand hotels in Springfield.
    Appy Trails,
    Kathy & Cadet
    member TROT www.trot-md.org, Mt Airy Saddle Pals https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mount...70438446334624 & Free State Appaloosa Horse Club freestateaphc.org

So jealous that you're going to be in town for WIHS!! I was on the junior committee the past 2 years, and it's an amazing show. It's so much fun to see the horses in the city. I think the vendors are pretty good-not a huge selection because the concourse is not exactly made for a large number of vendors to come in, but you can find some AMAZING things.
    I like mares. They remind me of myself: stubborn know it alls who only acknowledge you if you have food.
    Hannah B. Nana: 50% horse, 50% hippo
    Fiona: can't decide between jumpers or napping

The area around Verizon Center is a hot area - there are plenty of great restaurants - Rosa Mexicano is also quite popular in addition to others mentioned -I think's it's a bit pricey though... and agree skip the food vendors at Verizon - not many are open anyway - and though I said Rosa Mexicano was pricey you won't need to go to an ATM for a beer or soda like Verizon...

I was going to point out that there's a youth hostel within walking distance, which would certainly be cheap, but the Marriot is a much better option! You can eat both cheaply and well around there - Nando's is a good suggestion, and Proof across the street used to have good happy hour deals. If you like museums, the Portrait Gallery and the Building Museum are close by and free (or $5 for some exhibits at the Building Museum). WIHS is really special, I'm glad it stayed in DC. I know some people argue it's hard on the horses, but my horse was quieter and happier there than any traditional showground. I guess she's a city girl at heart.

I'm going to hijack this thread since it's already about WIHS on a budget...

Does anybody know whether they'll be doing a Groupon again for WIHS this year? Last year it came out the Thursday before the week of the show. So I was hoping to see one today.

I'll keep watching my email (ie, refreshing incessantly) but I was wondering whether anyone with a contact at the show and/or Groupon who knows for sure that they are/aren't going to do it again?

BonneAmmie, you and I are doing the same thing. I have been watching for a groupon too, and I think I'm about ready to admit there might not be one and just suck it up and pay for the full price tix.... sigh. If anyone has seen a discount like groupon or livingsocial, let us know!!