The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default WIHS -- staying on a budget

A friend and I plan to go to DC to see the Puissance and Grand Prix at WIHS the 26 - 28. Anyone know of places to stay on a budget?

Or, any DC area COTHers with a spare soft spot to sleep care to make a few extra bucks and gain the gratitude of two easy going twenty-somethings?

We are VERY excited...maybe we'll meet some of you there!
    "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." - Tesio

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Nowhere near a metro station or the venue is going to be budget-friendly. Can I assume you are driving up? If so, that means you can stay along I-95 in budget-friendly territory and then use the Franconia-Springfield station which is at the end of the system and right off of I-95.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

We're actually planning to take Amtrak from Durham to Union Station.
    "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." - Tesio

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Yeah, that's gonna require you to stay in DC near the venue. That is not going to be budget-friendly in any way whatsoever as you will not only have to stay in DC where lodging prices are very high but also budget for taxi fare, DC food, and whatever else might come up.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

You check to see if there are any reasonably priced hotels ALexandria, VA, you could take the metro from there to the Verizon Center. As Lex says prices are going to be high near Verizon Center; or you could try some Hotels in Rosslyn. DO NOT book any cheap hotels in DC as they would most likely not be in a great area. Old Town Alex is quite charming-

in DC you could try the Crown Hamilton Hotel (hotels.com $169.00 per night / or check for Hotels in the Foggy Bottom area of DC..

HOtels.com has the Bethesda Doubletree hilton for $89 per night -obviously some special -it's at 8120 Wisconsin Avenue - call them ‎855-239-9478‎ to see how far it is from the metro - assuming you want to take metro to the show (sometimes - it would be on the Redline so allow for about 45min - to 1 hour to get to Verizon Center - stop would be Chinatown/Galleryplace.)

Quote Originally Posted by gottagrey View Post
    HOtels.com has the Bethesda Doubletree hilton for $89 per night -obviously some special -it's at 8120 Wisconsin Avenue - call them ‎855-239-9478‎ to see how far it is from the metro - assuming you want to take metro to the show (sometimes - it would be on the Redline so allow for about 45min - to 1 hour to get to Verizon Center - stop would be Chinatown/Galleryplace.)
    IIRC Doubletree in Bethesda is around a half mile walk from the Bethesda metro station and that's a fine area to walk in. So not too bad and that price is a freaking steal for this area (the crappy Days Inn in Van Ness - a few stops in on the same Metro line - will run you over $150/night). The Bethesda station is on the same line as the Verizon center so getting there would be easy.

I've had really great luck with Priceline, but more in Philly than DC. You could give that a try, though. I wound up staying at a 4* in downtown Philly for about $60.

I live in Old Town and it's quite lovely - if you're a 20something and you want a nice place to have a drink after the show, it's a nice neighborhood for that.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    I've had really great luck with Priceline, but more in Philly than DC. You could give that a try, though. I wound up staying at a 4* in downtown Philly for about $60.
    Second Priceline. I had did a last-minute "Name Your Own Price" for $50 in D.C. and ended up in the Hilton in Old Town Alexandria.

That Bethesda deal sounds like a good one. You would be fine walking around Bethesda at night. Also Bethesda, Gallery Place (where the Verizon Center is), and Union Station are all on the red line. It should be about 45 minutes US -> Bethesda and Bethesda -> Gallery Place.

The only thing is Metro has been shutting down different lines in different places every weekend for the last... eternity. I don't see a schedule posted yet for the rest of the month. Does anyone have any better information? They post releases like this a few days in advance: http://wmata.com/about_metro/news/Pr...ReleaseID=5343

If it's just single tracking you need to add about 20-30 min to your trip, but if it says there is a replacement shuttle bus service, they are basically lying.

If you decide to try Priceline, you'll want to be in Northwest. I looked at their map. #8, 9, and 14 would be ok. Or one of the suburbs like Bethesda, Arlington, or Alexandria.

Also I am SO EXCITED for WIHS. I have been going for more years that I care to admit. Let's just say since I was 10
    Last edited by BonneAmmie; Oct. 5, 2012 at 05:45 PM. Reason: edited to add suburbs

You might also try some of the smaller boutique places -- Morrison House, Tabard Inn, etc. Not cheap but cheap for downtown DC!

You might also look into Ballston -- there are a ton of hotels very close to the metro station (orange line) as well as lots of restaurants. If you don't mind going a little farther out, there are a couple of hotels really close to the Dunn Loring metro (orange line) stop as well. Those would be considerably cheaper than anything closer in. Agree that if there's track work you would definitely want to spend more and be closer.
    According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.

I know you'd be looking at at least $200 a night for the Morrison House. Probably similar or more for the Tabard Inn.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

Sorry I meant Morrison-Clark.

Last time I was in town (in the spring) Morrison Clark was around $120, Tabard $180 for a small room with shared bathroom. Still decent DC prices if she wants to stay downtown and they are both pretty cool places. They are usually full, though.

Outside town will be cheaper of course but you have to factor in transportation and hassle factor. There is a Days Inn on Conn. that can be reasonable but I don't love that area and no cute factor at all.

Just checked Morrison Clark and you can get a queen for 109 tomorrow.

Bethesda would be a great place to stay and the Double Tree is very nice. It's definitely under 45 minutes from Bethesda to Gallery Place, I would say 25 minutes, 30 max with no delays. Union Station is probably 45 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by brooksbaby View Post
    Bethesda would be a great place to stay and the Double Tree is very nice. It's definitely under 45 minutes from Bethesda to Gallery Place, I would say 25 minutes, 30 max with no delays. Union Station is probably 45 minutes.
    Agreed. Nice hotel, caters to the business travelers staying there, decent food options within walking distance and not far to Twinbrook metro. Very safe to walk. I used to work right around the corner.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Quote Originally Posted by BonneAmmie View Post

The only thing is Metro has been shutting down different lines in different places every weekend for the last... eternity. I don't see a schedule posted yet for the rest of the month. Does anyone have any better information? They post releases like this a few days in advance: http://wmata.com/about_metro/news/Pr...ReleaseID=5343
    They've been working on the other side of the red line lately, not the Bethesda side. But it's Metro so that's likely to change any time someone sneezes.

Be sure to check wmata.com before you rely on getting to WIHS (or anywhere in DC) on the Metro while you're in town. You don't want to unknowingly get stuck somewhere.

Thanks to everyone for your helpful suggestions! Turns out that my friend's dad travels quite a bit and he has racked up some hotel points. We REALLY lucked out and will be staying here:

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...-metro-center/

Two nights at $100 per person, total. Can't beat that with a stick, especially with how close it is to the Verizon center!

Excellent! I always fear for some out-of-towners who get these great deals on one of the internet hotel sites -the ads might say 1 mile to Capitol Hill but that one mile can put a person in a great area to not such a great area.
    Have fun - that area by DC is booming so you'll have lots to choose from in terms of dining and bar scenes... shoot you can probably eat at a good restaurant for the same price as a hot dog, fries & soda at Verizon...

Quote Originally Posted by gottagrey View Post
    Have fun - that area by DC is booming so you'll have lots to choose from in terms of dining and bar scenes... shoot you can probably eat at a good restaurant for the same price as a hot dog, fries & soda at Verizon...
    But if you're planning to eat out in the area, since you're there on a weekend, make reservations early! Definitely want reservations at Legal Seafood or Jaleo (both of which are great, especially the sangria at Jaleo), faster and quicker check out Austin Grill (which usually has happy hour pricing on margaritas and appetizers, which can be a good pre-evening-show option) or the lobster roll place a little further towards the courts on E St.

You're in a great place for walking to a lot of stuff besides the horse show, too!

Quote Originally Posted by JenEM View Post
    But if you're planning to eat out in the area, since you're there on a weekend, make reservations early! Definitely want reservations at Legal Seafood or Jaleo (both of which are great, especially the sangria at Jaleo), faster and quicker check out Austin Grill (which usually has happy hour pricing on margaritas and appetizers, which can be a good pre-evening-show option) or the lobster roll place a little further towards the courts on E St.
    I'm always underwhelmed by Jaleo. I'd skip that and hit Rosa Mexicano (literally on the corner across from Verizon center) for some pomegranate margaritas. It is pricey, but every meal we have there has been great.

Also, Matchbox is supposed to have great pizza and beer. Haven't been yet, but my coworkers rave about it.