The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Where to find a good single pony?

to do Combined Driving with? None of the obvious sale sites seem to have anything.

I volunteer at the KY Classic CDE every year, this one included, and I while I find all the big warmblood horses very spectacular, I probably need to begin with a pony.

Are all the good ones sold by word of mouth? Now, I don't want to go to Germany and compete, I'd stay in my neck of the woods, and would be years away in terms of the sheer time it would take to compete at Advanced.

But, the more I watch, the older I get, the more I think this might be a direction I'm looking to go. I had a lovely Haffie that drove, and I worked with Standardbreds for decades, so, I do drive. I also ride/train dressage, so I would think that would help. I got to spend time during the WEG behind David Saunders as they and the Morgans stayed at our farm for the month prior.

I foxhunt my current horse, but I want to "compete" and the more I watch, the more I think "I could do that" (perhaps not a figure 8 with one hand)

Where would you start? Gayla is close in terms of lessons.

Start at Gayla and get acquainted with Sterling. Let him know what you want and he may know of something somewhere. There is a nice welsh cross mare in Ocala for sale. I will message you the ad. Do not think she has done much in the way of CD, but she might be able to do so.

This is in a post a while ago.... awesome looking pony!

I was browsing Dreamhorse for ponies today ( have granddaughter that's getting interested) and came across this :http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse...rse_id=1816438
    Please Mods, not advertising here. I know the Strain Family are horsedealers, and after googling this pony was surprised that she would have ended up there. She was imported, driven in preliminary level events, trained by Larry Poulin and even had her own blog. Something must be amiss. i don't know anything about driving, but this seems really out there. Anybody?
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

Default thank you

this will start me in the right direction.

I second Gayla and Sterling. You have a great resource there you should use it. And that ad that CDE Driver brought back up on the New Forest Pony Mare!?! If you have the room, I would go and get her. She would be super.
    Last edited by MunchingonHay; Nov. 13, 2012 at 06:22 PM. Reason: spelling

Default Well the staff at Gayla seems to have changed a lot... so now what

Any other suggestions in the Ohio/KY/IN area?

Don't worry about the size of the equine. Look for sensible, solid and fun. With your experience and a good mentor you should be able to bring along a horse or pony yourself.

What about looking at a nice standardbred? With some dressage training you should be able to get a very nice horse to learn and compete with.

Christa

Sterling is still in the area in KY. Search Team Sterling or just Sterling Graburn on FB and it should pop up...if not, PM me and I can give you his number.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndyrgal View Post
    Any other suggestions in the Ohio/KY/IN area?