The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How much would you pay?? -also looking for boarding in central PA

Long story trying to keep short.

My horse was getting noooooo turn out and he has bad arthritis. A "friend" had her own place.. She said bring him here $150 for field board will feed grain and bring in if its really bad weather. Just help when hay is delivered to pay my half and help feed/clean now and then. Keep in mind I watched their house 5 dogs, clean stalls, turn out, rode their horses for a week while they were on vacation for FREE.

Well for my sanity I want to move to the place down the road where my friends are. I made the mistake of mentioning how their rate of $285 (they have 100+acres of trails, two rings, indoor, full care) is reasonible.. Now my "friend" is wanting to up charge me.

She starting bringing in my horse more and feeding him more grain and telling me is costing her more then what I am paying.

I never asked for any of that. He needs his supplements and they have the habbit of tossing grain on the ground with 2 other horses which all end up swapping feed.

OK quiestion is - until I can get over to my friends place (they are booked) How much would I need to get down and go over a flat rate with her. Maybe $150 isn't enough but she doesnt consitently take care of my horses needs, not to metion countless times I picked up extra feed and help ride her horses etc. Since shes making it seem like I'm cheaping her money - I want to sit down and have her right up an agreement till I can find a place ot move.

How much would you pay for MOSTLY pasture board w. 2x grain and some hay?? IDK why shes been bringing him in - weather is fine (I think she just wants to say he's costing her money) and she tells me he gets unlimited hay but they only bought 50 bales (in march) and just NOW are getting more delivered...uh theres 5 horses unlimited hay my butt!

Sorry about the rant!! If anyone knows any temp places I could move that be sweet!!

The problem is, it doesn't really matter what is reasonable or acceptable to charge for board in your area. If your BO wants to raise board, she can, and you can either pay it or leave. Unless you have something specific in your contract, you can't do a thing. Even if you do have something in your contract, is it really worth the battle?

Check your contract for how much turnout is included in board, and remind your BO of that. Also remind her that you didn't ask for extra grain or extra stall time for your horse, so you won't be paying for it. Discuss a flat fee, monthly board rate, and stick to it. IMO $150 sounds low unless you are buying hay. I'd be offering $200.

You need to get things in writing, and quickly. You also need to move as this friendship sounds like it is going south fast.

And as for how much is reasonable? I charge $475 for mostly pasture board, two feedings and hay. I am full. Consider yourself very lucky to be in the $150/$200 price range. (And as SAcres says, it doesn't matter what you or anyone else thinks is reasonable -- the BO can charge whatever she wants. (Obviously, if it is too high then no one will board with her, but she still gets to set the rates at whatever she thinks makes sense for her).

You've got it good. I pay $150 per month, per horse for 100% self-care. The owners don't bring in/out, nor feed.... nothing. And we even help around the farm doing our own fence repair, gate hanging, stall improvements, etc.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

yeah we dont have a contract it was a more of a - hey were friends right? Come board your horse here just pay $150 to cover grain and pay for your hay.

Well now it turn into a mess.. Not to mention how many times I've picked up extra bags of feed for the month because they were "short" on money.

I told her if she just spoke up I would pay more.. shes just being fishy telling me that my horse goes thru soooo much grain and all this bedding when hes suppose to be out on pasture board.

I'd love to hand her all my receipts from the feed store and write up a bill for all the times I've cleaned stalls while they were away etc.

Yeah, without a contract (even between friends), things often go south because there's just to much left in the air.

I have a firm contract with the property owner, so we all know where we stand.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

SAcres nailed it on the head. It's her place, she can charge what she wants. If you don't like it, you can try to negotiate with her, but if she won't budge then you leave.

I too was going to say $200/mo. I pay $150/mo to essentially rent a stall for a month. No turnout (that's $25 extra), I buy all hay/grain/shavings, and I do all the care. And I'm in a cheap area. Where I used to live, it probably would be more like $250-300.

Just move him before it gets worse.

The problem is, it doesn't really matter what is reasonable or acceptable to charge for board in your area. If your BO wants to raise board, she can, and you can either pay it or leave.
    exactly.

She starting bringing in my horse more and feeding him more grain and telling me is costing her more then what I am paying.

I never asked for any of that. He needs his supplements and they have the habbit of tossing grain on the ground with 2 other horses which all end up swapping feed.
    This is confusing . If she is bringing your horse in for graining, offer to supply your own grain so she can subtract that variable. If it's a freefor all in the field , then how does anyone know what your horse is eating and why even bother with supplements???.

Sounds like she is bringing in your horse to make sure he gets his supplements - which you say he needs- since separate feeding is not included in field board. So, yes, I can see why she wants to charge more. Field board means different things for different people and does not necssarilly include separation for grain and supplement feeding.

Honestly, without a contract you're screwed. Your BO can essentially do whatever she wants, and you have to deal with it or leave. You dont have a leg to stand on as far as the "but I didn't ask for this" arguement goes.

You could possibly salvage this by sitting down with your BO and discussing a contract, board rate, and what board will include. Assuming your BO is a reasonable person anyway.

Otherwise, leave. Sooner rather than later. It will only get harder to deal with.

OP - Pretty silly of you to mention the price of the other place to her. You used no discretion and expected her to be happy and friendly about a thoughtless slight.

And gratitude is the attitude. Free for the giving.

Quote Originally Posted by Camstock View Post
    OP - Pretty silly of you to mention the price of the other place to her. You used no discretion and expected her to be happy and friendly about a thoughtless slight.

And gratitude is the attitude. Free for the giving.
    The other place has 2 rings and an indoor and full care.
    Friend's place was supposed to be field board with graining. I am guessing since she did not mention rings and indoors that friend's place does not have these amenities.

If full care with facilities runs $285 in the area then $150 for field board with grain/hay is probably about right.

Stating that the local full care place with different amenities is priced reasonably is not a slight. It just a statement about the pricing of that facility.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

yes big difference in both places

"friends place" - 5 acres between 5 horses, small riding ring, no trials. this week my "stall" was rented out for two weeks. I paid for $200 this month so he can come inside for the cold rain. Not right. I can't count the countless times I've helped feed,clean, barn sit, help her son get over his fears on the trails "her backyard" and helped ride her 3 yr old.

Place down the rd- I think like a couple dozen acres, indoor 2 rings, tons of trails, excellent care with the feed, unlimited quality hay, etc. Wound't have to be constantly bickered on how much feed my horse eats, or that "we are low on mony can u pick up 2 extra bags of feed for us on ur way over"...$285

Its becoming aheadache and since the other place is full I am most liking finding someting different at the end of the month.

I found my horse several times in a dry lot paddock with very bleached out hay and nothing to munch on but dirt. While her horses were all out in the pastures.

Make sure you do your homework well before moving your horse. I recall this is the second place in a row that has not ended well for you.

Without knowing the exact details of the facility and your area it is impossible to say what a fair boarding price is. However, I can't imagine $150 covering your horse's share of mortgage on facility, taxes, insurance, maintenance, labor, electricity, water, etc., plus feed, hay and bedding.

A lot of people get into boarding without evaluating their costs and then later come to the unpleasant realization that they are subsidizing other people's horses both financially in addition to experiencing the many headaches associated with sharing their facility with other people.

I'm guessing that your friend feels like she has done you a big favor in keeping your horse for you at such a reasonable cost and feels like you have not appreciated it.

I'm also going to guess that the most reasonable course of action for you is probably to be gracious about paying a little more in board and try to show a little appreciation to smooth things over until you can move your horse to the other place.

The best boarding arrangement I've ever had ran me first $85/month when there was no ring whatsoever, then $125 once the outdoor ring was put in - a beautiful, huge, fenced ring with great, regularly dragged footing . An acquaintance had a few horses she kept "at home" and boarded my horse. My monthly board covered grassy field board with great picked and bedded run-ins, free-choice hay when the grass died, grain 2x/daily, and the insurance she had to obtain to have me there. And she had 100 acres of woods and trails! The only negative was this place was a 50 minute drive into the middle of no-where. Going board in the area for stalls/indoor arena/tack room/etc. was $400-600.

So when you ask "how much would you pay", I paid $125 (no additional labor) for something maybe a little better. And no, I'm not making this up. Yes, I was extremely lucky to meet her in the first place and have her take my horse!

Quote Originally Posted by nativehiro View Post

I found my horse several times in a dry lot paddock with very bleached out hay and nothing to munch on but dirt. While her horses were all out in the pastures.
    So your horse is either getting punished for your transgressions, being used as a bargaining chip to extort money from you or is just plain getting bad care. Either way, not being cared for well/adequately. Move!!!

I think $150 when you have to pay for your own hay and grain is not that great. Hay costs a LOT here. It sounds like the $285 is a better deal for you.

I would move to the place with a clear contract of what you get for your money and tell your friend it's cheaper there because you do't have to pay for hay or do any of the work.

Until you can get to the new place, explain to your friend that you will pay $285 as long as your horse gets unlimited hay that they pay for and that they do all of the work, or that gets deducted from the monthly cost (say $10 an hour?) If you fed/cleaned say five hours a week, that would be $200 off, right?

Quote Originally Posted by JanWeber View Post
    Just move him before it gets worse.
    And you loose a friend..

I have a few horses on pasture board, including one oldster. The elderly horse gets more feed so he gets a feed bag... works out great. The other two are younger, get much less and finish quickly - I can stand there and keep them separated to their own dishes. Then I go do something else while the old man munches away - he eats really slowly. I come back 10 - 15 minutes later and remove the feed bag. The others were curious about what he had at first but now they are used to it and just go to eating hay while he finishes. Anyways, thought that might help with your horse getting his supplements/feed without having to bring him up. Course, you have to remember to remove it. They can drink with it on but obviously can't eat anything else.

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.h...b-899d0797ecca
    www.hogbackhillfarm.com