The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Black horse trailer--would you buy it or pass?

I am considering buying a two horse straight load bumper pull trailer. It's in good condition from what I can tell from the ad. What's stopping me from going out to look at it is that it has been freshly painted black inside and out. It does have an interior light.

My horse does not have much experince loading. I was thinking a white trailer would stay cooler in the summer, plus be less cave-like when it came time to load.

WWYD?

Black....inside? How bizarre. My trailer is black on the outside, with a light colored roof, and I have no problems with it. But black on the inside? I imagine that might make loading difficult.

If it looks like a good deal otherwise, I'd go look at it, but consider the cost to repaint the inside at least if you're looking to buy.

Default I had one that was Coca Cola can red...

Inside and out. Unless it was parked in the sun and your horse was on it, it wasn't that much different. Whether or not the roof is insulated makes a difference, windows/doors, etc make a difference.

Everything I owned at the time loaded on it just fine.

The best part about the red trailer????

I had a green truck.

Very easy to find at the KHP no matter how many trailers were there.

And, no one ever stole anything out of it. It did look as if the owner might go all redneck.....

Weird. I'd sand it, rent a sprayer and repaint it. Would take some time but it isn't too hard to do. As it is newly painted I might wonder though if they were trying to cover up some rust?

We heard a horse kicking and banging in a trailer at a show. When we ran up to it, the trailer was sealed up with back doors closed. The horse came out dripping wet with sweat -- and trailer was all black.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Ours is sort of an urky beige on the outside, and matte black on the inside. Everybody loads fine. At some point I'd like to repaint mine just to maintain it - and I sort of like 2ndyrgal's "unique" paint job as opposed to "gorgeous but you can't tell it apart in a crowd".

Color isn't a deal breaker for me.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I believe the roof is insulated and there are windows. The gal who owns it is a barrel racer and all of her gear is pink and black. She just repainted the trailer match, then went out and bought a different horse. He's too big for it.

There isn't a breakaway cable for an emergency brake. I was told that it isn't standard for a two-horse because it could cause the trailer to flip. Not sure what to make of that...does your 2 horse have an emergency brake cable?

Thank you for all of the replies...I like the green/red combo--that would make it easy to find!

They told you the breakaway cable is NOT standard? It can cause the trailer to FLIP? Now THATS some comical s..t there...LOL

BREAKAWAYS are MANDATORY...not options!!!

Sounds to me like you should turn and walk away from this one...They are definately hiding something.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Default Baloney - my 2H BP had a breakaway!

Agree - no trailer brake is not a Good Thing.
    If by any chance your hitch lets go, you want the trailer brake to engage ASAP to slow and stop the trailer.

If they are fudging about that detail, what are the chances they "forgot" to mention something else.
    Like that paint job covering up rust...

IIWM, I'd look for another trailer.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

I would be concerned that fresh paint is to cover up rust or repairs. I would take someone that knows about such things with you if you decide to look.

I would not buy black but I live in Georgia and even moving down the road the trailer can get hot.

Quote Originally Posted by HoofaSchmigetty View Post
    They told you the breakaway cable is NOT standard? It can cause the trailer to FLIP? Now THATS some comical s..t there...LOL

Sounds to me like you should turn and walk away from this one...They are definately hiding something.
    Yup...

Quote Originally Posted by Luseride View Post
    I would be concerned that fresh paint is to cover up rust or repairs. I would take someone that knows about such things with you if you decide to look.

I would not buy black but I live in Georgia and even moving down the road the trailer can get hot.
    ^^^^This^^^^

That is the first thing I thought of. Black paint covers it all, and if it leaches rust then it will be hidden.

Yes, need a break away box.

You want a horse trailer at a good price, but never sacrifice safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    We heard a horse kicking and banging in a trailer at a show. When we ran up to it, the trailer was sealed up with back doors closed. The horse came out dripping wet with sweat -- and trailer was all black.
    Or he was sweaty because he was stressed and nervous and that was why he was kicking. Being totally closed up probably didn't help either. Likely a totally white trailer would have been only a few degrees cooler in that same situation.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

OP- I would have a good trailer mechanic look at the trailer.
    You can repaint the roof top a light color and the inside bright white after you get it. You can always do it yourself with some spray cans. It might not look great but who is going to see the inside or the roof anyway. Just sand lightly, tap off anything that you don't want to get oversprayed and go to town.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Well, my one experience with a dark trailer (dark green) with small windows .... and my perfect loader into a bucking bronco and we're still working on trailer manners since that day. Maybe it wasn't because it was dark (there was another horse already on that my mare didn't know), but she had loaded onto a 4 horse loaded with strange horses just a couple weeks before this incident.... But she got on, backed off, got half way on, backed off....up the ramp, back off...and that was it....flipped out.

Maybe it just smelled bad? But I wondered if she just couldn't see into it very well and it scared her. I bought a white trailer and we're still working out the kinks of "trailers = scary"....

Given the brake issue, and possible oven in the summer...I'd pass.

My trailer is black with a white top. Interior is black. It has semi-stock sides - i.e., no windows but solid walls up to about three feet (???) and then open sides. I can't describe it but here's a pic: http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...=trailer21.jpg

I don't have trouble with heat but it's not enclosed so that might be the difference. It is black inside, btw.

When we lived in Africa most cars had roofs painted white like your trailer.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Quote Originally Posted by HoofaSchmigetty View Post

RUN!

This person is riding around w/o a breakaway endangering her horses AND all the other drivers on the road.

And then she's trying to make up a load of bologna about not needing a breakaway.

FWIW - I have a dark red 2 horse bumper pull; and it is way too hot for MS Gulf Coast. I so wish I had gotten a WHITE Stock Combo w/ insulated roof for my climate. So for me, aside from the whole rust issue -- the black on black would be a deal breaker unless the price covered the cost of new, professional paint job.
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

The breakaway comment is bizarre! My 2h is dark red with an unpainted roof and white paint on the inside. It stays nice and cool - it's aluminum. I had a dark gray (inside and out) steel trailer and it was hot hot hot even with the windows and vents open.
    You are what you dare.

Paint is easy to fix. I would pass because of the lack of break away cable. That seems like a serious safety issue.