The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

I think the news story lies in the fact that it's probably completely legal. I was in a situation like this years ago where I knew of a neighbor that was hoarding dogs, Great Pyrenees and Aussies. At that time she only had about 12 dogs, none of them fixed, none of the penned, and a litter of puppies that at three months old had never set foot outside the house. The animal control officer that came out told me she couldn't do anything b/c food and water were apparent.

Eight years later there were over 60 of the dogs seized, all inbreed, overbred, mixed bred... some were placed, some were not. According to one of the neighbors the livestock officers had started shooting the dogs on sight on the ranches nearby b/c the more GP of them were hunting and killing the neighbors cows.

As far as I know, that AC officer never followed up once in all those years.

There's still a story, OP... but be careful of yourself. I also had to be careful in my case and when you know the law isn't going to back you up it can be scary.

Do they have a lot of visitors to their kennel? You could always let someone else here make the calls to get the word out while you keep working there, and then act totally surprised when the authorities or news crew or whatever shows up. Then they probably won't retaliate against you cause they won't think it was you. Then when they get shut down or go out of business just quietly slip off into the sunset.

That may be overly optimistic but ugh. Those poor dogs.
    Last edited by shiningwizard255; Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:46 PM. Reason: to elaborate.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

Noooo visitors. And I'm the new one.it would be pretty obvious who did it.

so youre just going to do nothing?

I would just hand the video over to the news and let 'em at it. Who CARES if you get fired? Ooooooohh. You'd lose your job at the puppy mill. Hopefully a bunch of people will storm the place, take those poor dogs out of the cages, and spay and neuter them. If you give me the name, I'm sure I can find someone down there to get after them.

Like I said, I don't care about getting fired. These people know where I LIVE. I have animals too. Not in those conditions, but I don't want any revenge situations going on.

I am contacting the county officials about it, but I'm pretty sure it's a dead end. If they have a kennel license, it's legal. I could try and turn the video over to TV. Anyway, I won't be there much longer, so I'm going ot wait until I leave. In the meantime, I will pursue it with the officials.

OP, I dont blame you for not outing them. You are in a tough spot and they could take it out on you or your property if thier dogs got siezed or they lost their rating. Horrible situation and good luck.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Quote Originally Posted by FLeventer View Post
    OP, I dont blame you for not outing them. You are in a tough spot and they could take it out on you or your property if thier dogs got siezed or they lost their rating. Horrible situation and good luck.
    OP I don't blame you either. It's a lousy situation.

The authorities are not going to do anything and neither is the media. If they have a kennel license then they are probably not doing anything wrong.

They look to generally have clean cages (maybe the video was shot before daily cleaning), they are not filthy and crammed too many to a cage, each cage has 2 for the most part so they have a buddy. They have plenty of food and water.

Yeah, these people suck but the video was nothing like I pictured. It is sad to see a bunch of friendly puppies looking for attention and sucks that these people are indiscriminately breeding and the puppies are probably not getting the best of vet care but it is not as horrible as it sounded.

I have sadly seen much worse.

I have never heard of animal control giving a breeder a rating?? I'd check the authenticity of that certificate! The dog with the injured leg not receiving treatment has to be a violation on it's own....at the very least fairly to provide adequate care as to prevent suffering. You can make a report and remain anonymous, no need to provide video.
    I am an animal control officer(not in CA) and there are many times my hands are tied in what I can do. Even more frustrating is when you actually do something and then the courts return the animals to the hell they were in and drop the charges. So sometimes while it may seem like A/C is doing nothing, they are watching and waiting for the right opportunity to make a case with the best possible outcome. There are laws and procedures we have to follow, nothing sucks worse then loosing a case on a technicality.
    Have you checked into the breeder laws(both state and county)? Where I work I can visit a licensed breeders home at ANY time, no notice other then the knock on the front door. They have to keep strict records and those must be made available for inspection as well. Do a little research on your own, educate yourself on your local and state animal laws.
    As for PETA....all they do is call animal control...unless it's newsworthy. We get animals from PETA on a fairly regular basis that were surrendered by the owner. I will not take an animal from them without previous owner info. Because when I call the owner to make sure the animal was surrendered and once they are aware we have their dog they are furious. Nine times out of ten the reason they called PETA was to keep the dog out of the shelter and hopefully avoid euthanasia. All things they were promised wouldn't happen when they signed the dog over to PETA initially.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboymom View Post
    I think the news story lies in the fact that it's probably completely legal.
    I have seen a puppy mill just like this one in southern California – Only they were back yard breeding horses as well (auction rejects and draft crosses – oh and magical butterfly farting hairy horses).

Dogs kept in cages – bred and bred – but they were healthy, and fed, kennels cleaned – breeder license in place. I think it is a horrible life for a dog, but there was nothing illegal about it.
    APPSOLUTE CHOCKLATE - Photo by Kathy Colman