The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Document, document, report, report.

Unless this is a troll, the OP has a unique opportunity to do something about these horrible businesses. Since you're in it, seize it.

Quote Originally Posted by SAcres View Post
    If AC won't interfere, go to a local news outlet with the claim "AC thinks this is ok". Ooh good idea!

Although the suggestion of going to PETA was joking, it might not be a terrible idea.
    or HSUS.

Quote Originally Posted by sunridge1 View Post
    Record, create a log, report and keep trying. Most of these places do not have a kennel license. I don't know about CA. In my state your dogs must be licensed or you must have a kennel license. Both require rabies vaccination reports. If she is selling to Pet Stores without a kennel license she is in violation of Federal law (USDA). They can and will get her on that if it can be proven. ugh puppy mills the worst thing ever.
    Yep . The person must have a license to have that many dogs and to sell them. Even out in the boonies of NorCal, such a large scale business has to be licensed. AC will know the exact rules for that city/county. If no license, problem! If licensed, your documentation showing living conditions, age of weaning, indiscriminate breeding, lack of veterinary attention, etc is a problem.

OP, you may be able to help. Hopefully the $hit storm is so public and $$$ will prevent these people from ever doing it again.

Quote Originally Posted by RacetrackReject View Post
    I hate PETA as much as you guys do, but I was just saying that whenever the non-crazy animal rights groups cannot do anything because the standards of food, shelter, and water are met, you might have to bring out the crazy.
    Exactly.

I hate PETA as much as you guys do, but I was just saying that whenever the non-crazy animal rights groups cannot do anything because the standards of food, shelter, and water are met, you might have to bring out the crazy.
    nah, they tend to turn on the sane people...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

If licensed, your documentation showing living conditions, age of weaning, indiscriminate breeding, lack of veterinary attention, etc is a problem.
    um actually most nasty puppy mills are fully licensed by USDA and pass their inspections quite easily.
    Of course, if this PARTICULAR one hasn't bothered to get a license, that's one way to go after them.

What do you expect PETA to do? come and kill all of the dogs in a "rescue" swoop?

PETA is great at getting attention. Let them do what they do best...make a fuss.

Yes. I wasn't really joking. PETA sucks, but as someone else pointed out, they are very good at making noise.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post

What do you expect PETA to do? come and kill all of the dogs in a "rescue" swoop?

Sad to say, but sometimes death is the kinder alternatives.

But the PETA fleas, I don't want to get near at any cost...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    There's always PETA.
    Now you see, in an instance like this, sometimes you have to use the tools available to you. If you can't get a response from other channels, then by all means contact PETA and HSUS.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Document with photos, video, and written reports. Call animal control. Failure to give vaccines (especially rabies) and failure to provide veterinary care is illegal.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

Oh, screw calling authorities. Video, pictures, and take it to the tv news stations. That will get it fixed quickly. Where in CA is this? I can't imagine it's so far away from anything that it won't get a bunch of people pissed off and all over it.

Tell me where it is. I'll go there.

Does she sell to pet stores? Shes in violation with PIJAC right now, as much as I hate them, they could be on your side if needed.

I don't know where they sell. I just remember the first day, she was saying that she sells the puppies and people have to come to her, because she has to meet them and she won't ship the dogs, like that's too stressful for these precious pups that are living in cages covered in filth. My mind was blown.

She doesn't seem to be selling too many dogs.

I also have no idea about rabies, I assume they have their shots, since animal control goes out there and rates them an A. I'm sure they check that kind of thing. THey probably only go out once a year and make an appt first, etc. So, you know, not exactly useful. The rating says it was giving last May.

I know when they were showing how to clean, they were like, this has to be clean per animal control rules. So I don't know if they spot check or what. I can take a look at the sign and see if it says what agency it is.

Last weekend was my first and only weekend there (I told them I can't do Sundays anymore), so they were getting the dogs ready for the puppy parties. THey also do reptiles. The get them all cleaned up and smelling nice before they go, even using some kind of scented stuff, it wasn't air freshener and it wasn't perfume, but something you could buy at say, the 99cent store that smells nice. Maybe it was one of those spray car fresheners, not sure. But hey, how about keep them clean in the first place and then you don't have to spray them before they go out. I think that was more for the reptiles though, but not sure.

I'm anxious to see if anything has been done with the dog that got hurt or if she's still laying there in a cage with a hurt leg.

Oh, speaking of reptiles. They get crappy old veggies from the local supermarkets to feed to the turtles. Last week I was there Tues and Thurs. Tues, there was no food for the turtles, it was all gone. And these are those big turtles, not little ones. Well, there's a couple little ones. Anyway, Tues, no food. The turtles were looking at me every time they saw me, but nothing I can do. I don't know if they need to eat every day or not, and I start early, so I didn't know if anybody was going to get food. There wasn't any when I left. When I went back Thurs, they still had no food. But by the end of the day, there was a box there, it's nasty stuff. Like a few hours before rotten. THat's what they eat.

There's also a huge mice factory in one of the rooms. That's to feed the reptiles.

These people are so cheap, for the newspaper to put down in the dogs' cages, they keep begging people that work there to bring in papers. The other day they ran out and they were too lazy/cheap to go to the store and buy a few. I put down paper towels, which was more expensive, but had to do something.

Quote Originally Posted by Bicoastal View Post
    Unless this is a troll, the OP has a unique opportunity to do something about these horrible businesses. Since you're in it, seize it.
    Why are you so hostile? First you copy the original post "just in case" then drag in the "troll" word.

OP, I was in a similar position once years ago. The place was selling dogs and cats for research back when you could sell pound puppies for this purpose. It was horrible and an awful position to be in as I felt at least I could pay attention to the dogs and keep them clean while I was there. They were in an old barn, on the second floor. No windows so when you left the "dog room" the lights went out and they were in the pitch black.

Once, one of the dogs nipped at me, I offhandedly mentioned it to the supervisor and she immediately went, got the dog and euthanized it. She stuck it in the chest freezer because they were still worth something dead. I was not sure whether to be horrified or relieved that for that particular dog it was over. These were pound dogs, most had likely been pets at one time.

It was indescribably awful. I finally quit and the guy went out of business a few years after. I had nightmares for a long time. All those dogs in the pitch black with the mean supervisor woman who could decide on a whim to kill them...But he was operating within the confines of the law and I seem to recall that no one could get him shut down (found out later.) He finally went out as labs started buying purpose bred dogs for research.

They will not do a thing with these dogs besides euthanize them. How is that going to help. I cannot believe that animal control gives an A rating to anyone or puts dogs in stacked kennels in filth. They likely never saw that part of the "facility", and I do not think it is legal in most places to have dogs in standing kennels in dirty conditions no matter how many or how few there are. Document that in particular and turn it over to animal control. First ask them if there is such a thing as an A rating from AC, I tend to doubt it as I have never heard of Animal Control rating kennels. The state veterinarian might be interested too, especially with the dirty conditions, the dog fight that caused a severe injury to a dog, no vet care, and the vaccination records of at least those dogs. Report that, be specific and record those conditions in that back kennel via a video. Then go to the state vet office.
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

OP. There is no use telling us all about these conditions. Tip off the local news station and follow up with them until they cover it. We cannot do anything and it sounds like animal control won't do anything. Don't let these animals continue to suffer.

Unhappy Made me so sad...

...I had to give my former puppymill-walking-uterus a big hug. My Mimi--a very petite Chihuahua--spent 6 years pushing out puppies in just such a place until the State of Missouri closed that particular doggie abattoir down. We adopted her from our local shelter last summer, and because I'm a cat person, she immediately attached to ME.

I cringed when you said the dogs were routinely grabbed by the scruff--this could explain why Mimi never allows anyone close enough to pet her unless she's told to 'sit'. This dog went in tight circles constantly when put on the floor for weeks--couldn't go up steps, didn't understand the concept of anything but a 2' by 3' cage, apparently. She still refuses to eat her food from a bowl, and watching her run laps to and from the waterdish was upsetting. Just this summer she came to understand that she could RUN across the entire back yard--cutest thing I've ever seen, too.

Obviously some things about puppymills are constant.

My heart aches for the OP and the situation she is in. I know I couldn't do it, but if I COULD, I'd do all that was in my power to keep their environment clean, and push where possible for even the smallest improvements for the wee beasties. Like a separate shed for moms with puppies. A 'playtime' for the dogs. Something in every cage for 'enrichment' of their environment.

It would be a sure way of being taken for granted by the owners if you offered extra (unpaid) time to make it happen, however.

So many heartbreakers in life.

I agree with the video and picture suggestion. Make sure you have dates on the video and pictures, too, because then if it takes a while for anyone to pay attention, you have proof of consistent lack of care. And have copies to give out, so you never lose your evidence. Be careful to not get fired - I don't think there are whistleblower protections for private employees, except for Enron-level disasters - and follow the law, obviously. It's probably worthwhile to keep your name off the public reports if you can, especially if you need the money from this job.

I wouldn't bring PETA or HSUS in for the simple fact that, while they'll get you publicity, they'll also get publicity and more money for their animal rights work. If going to the authorities with videos doesn't work, then take the copies of your videos and proof of your reports to the media on the condition of anonymity.

Once again, you want to keep your job if possible (from what you said in the OP) and, if you think mentioning the bad conditions to your boss could help the animals without hurting you, that's probably the most effective way. After all, if it works, you get to keep your job AND help the animals!

bump

That video is sad.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Such a sad video and my dog was visible upset by whatever those puppies were barking.