The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default I'm working at a puppy mill. LONG ADDED VIDEO

Probably nothing actionable. I mean, they're all healthy. The dog with the hurt leg is better now. It's just sad. Anyway, here it is.

http://youtu.be/WcNulHrl9xY

I needed a little extra cash, so I answered an ad on craigslist for kennel cleaner. I like animals and have dealt with all kinds of pets, so I answered and got hired.

It's a puppy mill. Everybody is kept in cages, nobody goes out, well, they go out on weekends for parties, because they also have a side 'puppy party' business. Other than that, they don't leave.

Some dogs have indoor/outdoor runs, but there's a whole room full of dogs stacked in cages in the 'puppy room'. This is where the dogs go after they've been bred and start to look fat. It's filthy. It's cleaned once a day, and other than that, they're pretty much left alone. Some dogs are neat, but other ones destroy it and make it filthy 5 mins after it's cleaned. Obviously they need some other kind of place to stay, but they're stuck in the cage with the filth. They stay in there for a while, there's one with 4 doxie puppies and mom and it's just crowded at this point. Some are just fluffy dogs and get 'stuff' stuck on them. Eventually the owners will clean or shave the dogs.

It's noisy, horrible, smelly, nobody keeps track of anything like breeding dates and stuff. One puppy died already because the mom was so stressed she couldn't take it. I asked them if this was her first litter and they said they didn't know. I don't know where they got her or how they wouldn't know that.

Yesterday I had to break up a dog fight. THey're all small dogs, so it wasn't hard to do. One dog was bit in the leg really bad, so I went and told the owner. I put the dog that was bit in a separate cage. Owner came out and looked and cleaned up the blood. Brought a towel for the dog to sleep on and a piece of american cheese. No pain meds, dog was shaking and in extreme pain. Leg was extremely swollen and dog wouldn't put any weight on it. No vet, etc.

Also yesterday, a hyper jack russell in the puppy room has three cute puppies. But I guess once they are 4 or 5 weeks old, she 'starts beating them up'. So yesterday while we were looking at the dog with the hurt leg, this dog gets out. The owner grabbed the dog, put her in one of the indoor/outdoor kennels. Then puts a male dog in with her so she can get pregnant again already! Then I think, no wonder she's so messed up and she beats up her puppies if she's just being bred back to back like that! Plus no attention and never gets out and you know how how those dogs need to move around.

The dogs are so desperate for any kind of affection or attention.

Now here's the thing. THey all have food, water, and shelter. So I don't think animal control would do anything, in fact, they have an A rating from animal control!! So I don't think reporting them would even do any good.

So I go in and pay as much attention as I can to the dogs and puppies. THey're used to being grabbed by the neck, and they cower when you go to pet them, because they think they're going to be grabbed. It's so sad....

I don't know if I"m just venting or asking for advice, I really don't know what to do here. I feel like if I go, at least they get some attention.

It's really, really sad. I could not treat an animal like that. They are so desperate, and now that they know me, they're all excited when they see me and the unconditional love that dogs are known for just comes through. I haven't owned a dog since I was a kid. THey're really amazing and to see them locked up and treated like this... ugh.
    Last edited by pal-o-mino; Oct. 9, 2012 at 06:27 PM.

Default Take photos

Quote Originally Posted by pal-o-mino View Post
    I needed a little extra cash, so I answered an ad on craigslist for kennel cleaner. I like animals and have dealt with all kinds of pets, so I answered and got hired.

It's a puppy mill. Everybody is kept in cages, nobody goes out, well, they go out on weekends for parties, because they also have a side 'puppy party' business. Other than that, they don't leave.

Some dogs have indoor/outdoor runs, but there's a whole room full of dogs stacked in cages in the 'puppy room'. This is where the dogs go after they've been bred and start to look fat. It's filthy. It's cleaned once a day, and other than that, they're pretty much left alone. Some dogs are neat, but other ones destroy it and make it filthy 5 mins after it's cleaned. Obviously they need some other kind of place to stay, but they're stuck in the cage with the filth. They stay in there for a while, there's one with 4 doxie puppies and mom and it's just crowded at this point. Some are just fluffy dogs and get 'stuff' stuck on them. Eventually the owners will clean or shave the dogs.

It's noisy, horrible, smelly, nobody keeps track of anything like breeding dates and stuff. One puppy died already because the mom was so stressed she couldn't take it. I asked them if this was her first litter and they said they didn't know. I don't know where they got her or how they wouldn't know that.

Yesterday I had to break up a dog fight. THey're all small dogs, so it wasn't hard to do. One dog was bit in the leg really bad, so I went and told the owner. I put the dog that was bit in a separate cage. Owner came out and looked and cleaned up the blood. Brought a towel for the dog to sleep on and a piece of american cheese. No pain meds, dog was shaking and in extreme pain. Leg was extremely swollen and dog wouldn't put any weight on it. No vet, etc.

Also yesterday, a hyper jack russell in the puppy room has three cute puppies. But I guess once they are 4 or 5 weeks old, she 'starts beating them up'. So yesterday while we were looking at the dog with the hurt leg, this dog gets out. The owner grabbed the dog, put her in one of the indoor/outdoor kennels. Then puts a male dog in with her so she can get pregnant again already! Then I think, no wonder she's so messed up and she beats up her puppies if she's just being bred back to back like that! Plus no attention and never gets out and you know how how those dogs need to move around.

The dogs are so desperate for any kind of affection or attention.

Now here's the thing. THey all have food, water, and shelter. So I don't think animal control would do anything, in fact, they have an A rating from animal control!! So I don't think reporting them would even do any good.

So I go in and pay as much attention as I can to the dogs and puppies. THey're used to being grabbed by the neck, and they cower when you go to pet them, because they think they're going to be grabbed. It's so sad....

I don't know if I"m just venting or asking for advice, I really don't know what to do here. I feel like if I go, at least they get some attention.

It's really, really sad. I could not treat an animal like that. They are so desperate, and now that they know me, they're all excited when they see me and the unconditional love that dogs are known for just comes through. I haven't owned a dog since I was a kid. THey're really amazing and to see them locked up and treated like this... ugh.
    Saving it just in case. Take photos of the conditions then report to AC. Report to USDA, too. What state is this in? By what means do they sell & advertise?

Yes, take pictures and report. Video if you can.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

I thought about taking pics. They're in California. Not sure how or where they sell and advertise, but the owner did say she won't ship dogs, and if anybody wants a dog, they have to come to her place so she can meet them. She won't let one of 'her dogs' go to just anybody, of course. Anything would be better than where they are now. I have no idea where she shows the dogs to potential buyers. Maybe out in the front. She sure can't bring them in the back there.

It's really weird, because they act like they really love the dogs and then keep them like this.

Video might be easier. I will give it a try. I'm not back there until next Tues.

"loving the dogs to death' is par for the course. I'd have a real hard time continuing to work there, because all my effort would be going towards enabling the millers business. I am afraid you are correct thinking that AC won't do much but do it anyway, and good luck.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Wow.

Nothing like a hording puppy mill....
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

It is hard. I keep thinking I should quit. But then they're going to get somebody else, they're not going to go out of business if I'm not there. I feel like at least I can do something if I'm there. If I walk away, I can't do anything. Not that I can do much if I am there, but at the very least take care of them for a day.

I would think California would have the strictest laws about something like this. I would try to get photos and video and go to your local animal control and see if there's anything they can do.

There's always PETA.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    There's always PETA.
    Although this is really, really not a funny situation.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

How about a local news outlet?

Definitely take pictures/video to AC. If AC won't interfere, go to a local news outlet with the claim "AC thinks this is ok".

Although the suggestion of going to PETA was joking, it might not be a terrible idea. They do have a lot of people in the organization and can make things happen. Obviously that is a last resort situation as PETA is full of idiots, but you do what you have to do.

Something has to be done. Work there quietly, TRY to improve what you can, all the while taking photos and video. You'll have a case, and hopefully you will me making these animals lives better.

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    There's always PETA.

I know that was probably said as a joke, but seriously, they may be what it takes to rescue these dogs.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

you're right that most of what you describe isn't overtly illegal, but failure to provide vet care, such as for the dog with the injured leg, is. Another avenue- rabies shots. If they have such lax records about breeding, what do you want to bet they don't have good proof all the dogs have been vaccinated against rabies? authorities really don't like that. Especially if they take dogs out to expose the public in their "puppy parties".
    Local licensing laws about commercial kennels are another avenue to explore.

Otherwise, perhaps ruin the business? video of the horrors to the local media, or at least up on youtube? you'll probably have to plan to cut and run after collecting the images before you get fired, though.

If any dog has bit you (regardless of there was drawn blood), you can go to animal control and ask for a bite report. They will need to follow up with the owner on current rabies vaccines - if they dont have them, that can be an "in" for further investigation.

Just say NO to PETA! You can't call them in when you think it suits or you are supporting EVERYTHING they stand for and believe.

Are they selling AKC registered puppies? *IF* they are not keeping accurate records -- and it certainly sounds like they are not! -- yet selling the puppies as registered or registerable, you can report them to the AKC. The AKC can do an on-site inspection, matching dogs to records, and fine them or yank the owners' AKC privileges if they are not in compliance.

Sure, the owners can simply switch to one of the pay-to-register-any-mutt registries, but, the puppies will be less likely to bring in as much cash.

Whatever you do, STAY AWAY FROM PETA!!!!!
    Horse & Dog Designs: Clothing, Pendants, Water Bottles, Totes, Phone Cases, ETC:
    WoofNWhinny*
    NEW: Schnauzers, Boxers, Western, & Polo Ponies

Horsey Humor, Ponies, Barn Safety & More.

Record, create a log, report and keep trying. Most of these places do not have a kennel license. I don't know about CA. In my state your dogs must be licensed or you must have a kennel license. Both require rabies vaccination reports. If she is selling to Pet Stores without a kennel license she is in violation of Federal law (USDA). They can and will get her on that if it can be proven. ugh puppy mills the worst thing ever.

I hate PETA as much as you guys do, but I was just saying that whenever the non-crazy animal rights groups cannot do anything because the standards of food, shelter, and water are met, you might have to bring out the crazy.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :