The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I think it is obvious that you might sell the horse to someone else, I don't think you need inform #1 of that news. I think it would come across more as "pushy" versus being a "courtesy."

OP, I think your Buyer #1 is "stupid/crazy like a fox." The woman is in the biz herself so she knows the lay of the land. It's also clear that she knows how to take care of herself. She wants terms, a long lease/trial-- things that protect her interests pretty well.

I think she can guess that the horse is still for sale, but your being patient with her gives her the impression that no one else is biting. The ball appears to be in her court.

I think the best policy is to honest and direct. Not merely "FYI, the horse is still being advertised," but "Yo, heads up! An actual person has shown a serious interest." The ball really is in your court because you do have two potential buyers. No need to lie or skirt the issue right now.

People can change their minds at the drop of a hat-- sometimes for non-flakey reasons like Buyer #1's yearling not selling. So be diplomatic with all until you have your money in hand and OTTB sent off to the best home you could find him now.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Here's what I emailed her:

Dear X,

I'm sorry we haven't been able to get together for you to see XXX, and wanted to be clear that he is still being advertising for sale. I didn't want there to be hard feelings if someone comes out and tries him and falls in love! I do have a buyer who is willing to do a full purchase, so if she makes an offer, I have to move forward with selling him. If they are not a good match, and he doesn't sell, I'd love to revisit the idea of doing a lease to own option with you. Thanks for understanding. I know that horse shopping can be a difficult ordeal, and I wish you the best of luck in finding a great horse!

Thanks,
    X

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    I'm sorry, but this just sounds SO funny.

I didn't want to offend her by comparing my goats to her horse. Just trying to show how many flaky people out there just love to take up your time with email with no intention to buy. How should I have worded it Does it make me seem strange

Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    Here's what I emailed her:

Dear X,

I'm sorry we haven't been able to get together for you to see XXX, and wanted to be clear that he is still being advertising for sale. I didn't want there to be hard feelings if someone comes out and tries him and falls in love! I do have a buyer who is willing to do a full purchase, so if she makes an offer, I have to move forward with selling him. If they are not a good match, and he doesn't sell, I'd love to revisit the idea of doing a lease to own option with you. Thanks for understanding. I know that horse shopping can be a difficult ordeal, and I wish you the best of luck in finding a great horse!

Thanks,
    X

Very well done!

Pa-eternally laboring in the infinite creative and sustentative work of the universe

I had pretty much the same experience as Saddleup, nationwide ads brought me a lot of out of town potential buyers, ...frustrated with all the *stuff*... I put an ad on CL,
    and sold the horse to a lady a mile away within the week!

Sales this past year sold locally more -- and quicker. I dont think people buying horses for under 5k have the funds to travel as they once did -- the money is needed to buy a good horse.

Try advertising locally -- contact your local trainers, pony club, hunt club -- by word of mouth spread the news -- and of course, rule of thumb in sales.... first money sells the horse.

Just to offer one bit of advice -- push for the appointment, that will tell you how serious a buyer actually is. If a good minute video, snaps of conformation cant entice that appt, then move on.
    IN GOD WE TRUST
    OTTB's ready to show/event/jumpers. Track ponies for perfect trail partners.
    http://www.horseville.com/php/search...=1&ssid=057680

Buyer No. 1 isn't a buyer if she's wanting to lease the horse with an option to buy. Informing Buyer No. 1 that you have another Buyer coming to look at the horse is absolutley umnesessary. You don't owe this lady a thing. If she can come up with the cash great, if not, the horse is still for sale. It's completely unnecessary to contact Buyer No. 1 to remind her that horsie is for sale. She already knows that.

If Buyer No. 2 makes an offer, I would seriously consider it since your budget for feeding the horse seems to be stressed.

Quote Originally Posted by candyappy View Post
    I didn't want to offend her by comparing my goats to her horse. Just trying to show how many flaky people out there just love to take up your time with email with no intention to buy. How should I have worded it Does it make me seem strange
    Not offended at all, I had lots of amusing mental images of little goats bubble wrapped and climbing into cardboard boxes and packing peanuts.

And an update..Buyer #1 answered and was super polite and understanding...and not at all sad. Kind of confirms the thought that she wasn't that serious, she just said Oh sure, that's fine, I'm super busy right now anyways.....

Thanks for the waste of my time, lady. Oh well, comes with horse selling.

Buyer #2 sounds good still but is now concerned about a previous injury he's had. Hopefully it won't scare her off...it was a very minor leg injury that happened over 8 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    Buyer #2 sounds good still but is now concerned about a previous injury he's had. Hopefully it won't scare her off...it was a very minor leg injury that happened over 8 years ago.
    I just bought a horse with a prior leg injury. I was nervous about it at at first... but the seller was super open about it and that made me feel more confident. I felt she was very honest in telling me about it in the first place, so that made me feel more at ease. She was also very open to a PPE and shared all his past vet records with me.

Quote Originally Posted by nikelodeon79 View Post
    I just bought a horse with a prior leg injury. I was nervous about it at at first... but the seller was super open about it and that made me feel more confident. I felt she was very honest in telling me about it in the first place, so that made me feel more at ease. She was also very open to a PPE and shared all his past vet records with me.
    Hoping this will be my luck, too. He popped a splint while he was racing, but since then (and I told her all this) I've NEVER had a problem with his legs...evented, jumped, did endurance riding. The only lameness issues I've had have been tender soles. She told me she might come look at him anyways, she just wanted to think about it. The waiting is killing me. I'm not a patient person

Ru Roh sounds like a tire kicker to a degree to me.

Wanted him but now not over a splint? Splints are not a big deal ...
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

Quote Originally Posted by Nootka View Post
    Ru Roh sounds like a tire kicker to a degree to me.

Wanted him but now not over a splint? Splints are not a big deal ...
    That's what I thought....but I didn't want to be rude and pushy and tell her that. I just made it very clear that he's never had a bad day with his legs since.

She asked if the price was negotiable, I said yes. She asked for video and more pics, loved what she saw. Asked about medical history/any current issues, I told her. That's when she got hesitant.

Give Buyer #2 some time. I don't think she's just a "tire kicker" - just diligent. Frankly, I'd be too. Keep in mind that there are far far too many sellers out there who aren't exactly honest. And she doesn't know you from Adam as you equally don't know her. Like all horse buyers, she pretty much just has to take your word on everything & wants as much info as she can get to make a decision as to whether a visit is worth her (& your) while. Nothing wrong with that.

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

As someone who just got shafted for a $700 vet check on a horse deal gone bad, you'd think I'd side with "Buyer" #1. Not so. Buyer 2 is your only actual buyer, so you did right telling Tire Kicker #1 that she wasn't first in line any more. Hoping like crazy that Buyer #2 actually is, and that your pony has a great new home.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    As someone who just got shafted for a $700 vet check on a horse deal gone bad, you'd think I'd side with "Buyer" #1. Not so. Buyer 2 is your only actual buyer, so you did right telling Tire Kicker #1 that she wasn't first in line any more. Hoping like crazy that Buyer #2 actually is, and that your pony has a great new home.
    Thanks, me too!!!

Ok, we have a buyer #3!!! And she ACTUALLY came out to SEE the horse! Who'da thought?

She loveslovesloves him, wants to take him this weekend to a local barn to school some jumps and let her student (who will be the actual buyer) ride him. She said if they like him, they might go straight to their barn
    I don't need to go with, do I?

I'm not worried about them running off with my horse, I know their trainers, I know the people at the barn they're taking him too. I just wasn't sure if sellers typically go or not? I figured they would probably appreciate having him away from me so there's less pressure, they can feel a little more comfortable playing around on him, etc. Should I just say something like "Let me know how he does" or "Call me if you have any questions" to clarify that I'm not going? We never really said in the conversation.

Woohoo! Fingers crossed!

It comes down to: Don't go if you don't care what happens to him.

From poor riding to unfair treatment of him if he doesn't load as nicely as they want on first try, overfacing him with jumps... A variety of things you SHOULD care about if you want to sell him in the case they don't buy him....

So, yes, you should be there.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

I would want to be there. Just because its still my horse, and I want to be there in case there are any issues. And I'd want to see exactly how the potential buyer rides him.

You wouldn't let them ride without you on your own property, why would you let them take him off somewhere, even if you trust them?

I would not allow that. Too many potential issues including liability. They can come to your place to try him. Why do sellers allow so many trial rides? It's not try until you buy or the free ride corral. A couple showings and they should know.