The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Stall systems--WWYD?

So I wanted actual stall systems for the barn (you know the bars, nice doors etc, as opposed to my last barn where I just put up boards and went with no bars and lived with stall chains and hinged half doors)...

I called company for a quote this past January, wanting their price, plus an estimate on shipping just to get a number to plan around. Got it, fine, let sales rep know clearly that I wasn't in any way ready to place an order and that I WOULD BE IN TOUCH WHEN I WAS READY. Sales rep repeatedly called my house, emailed etc every few weeks to "follow up". I answered...barn is being built part time by my husband and I, we have two little kids...I WILL CONTACT YOU when I am ready, please don't call me, my home number is also my husband's office number, he's getting annoyed. This went on for MONTHS. Finally last month DH gives me clearance, once concrete is poured, we have space to put stall stuff in barn until we get them together, you can order then. OK, contacted sales rep (oh how I was looking for another company at this point as he had annoyed me enough to drive me away, BUT..I liked the product). Asked for new estimate as I knew things had changed, yes, price was up, as expected. Again he pushed, when can we place the order, I explain I need to wait until concrete is in, but wanted to ask about turnaround time for orders in case there was a 4 week wait on them. Nope they can come pretty quick. Ok, so me to sales rep...my concrete date is OCT 5, I don't want stalls here until after that as I have nowhere to put them. He says, call me, lets do the paperwork (this is last week). I do, he says lets put the order in, I ask, ok, and have them sent week of Oct 8, he says, sure, as soon as the order goes in, I"ll get the number of the freight company we use and you can call them and make the arrangements yourself for your delivery date, oh and yes, we'll specify to put it on a short truck. Ok, give him credit card number. And wait for that phone number, and suddenly I have to pester him to get in touch. which he finally does at close of business monday. And so Tues morning I call freight company to find out they are delivering the very next day. I beg for time, they can only hold it a day as they have no warehouse, but will let it sit on the dock for a day. So yesterday Oct 4, it shows up on a full size tractor trailer. We had to drive the pickup out to the road and block the road while we loaded, which was fine. Then I got to unload it all and stack it all OUTSIDE in the weather, because at 7am today, I have a crew pouring concrete and no way to put it in the barn.

Several things:
    -the freight company was great, showed up EXACTLY when they said they would, driver was nice and helpful, and I SO appreciate their limited flexibility. I don't care so much that it was a full size truck, it was ok in the end, just a small inconvenience, and what great speedy service and ease of communication.
    --stall fronts look great, every thing was there down to the last screw as far as I can tell and quality looks just as expected, I"m happy there.
    -this company can certainly deliver their product in a timely manner, I can vouch for that!

But I would really like to choke the sales rep, first for pestering the CRAP out of me for months, then for misleading me, in what I can only guess was an effort to meet a sales quota for the month of September. My husband was pretty much demanding that we refuse the order yesterday, send it all back and have the company eat the freight costs. Now he's going on about "if there is any issue with it being outside until next week"...(get real they are for a BARN), really he's just put out by the dozens of phone calls over the months, and now this inconvenience. So he wants me to call up the sales rep and read him the riot act, I think the better thing is to calmly call the company and let them know they need to rein the guy in, because had I not already set the support posts as I needed them for their stall system, I was actually an inch from going with someone else, they very very nearly lost a decent sale here. And I have a headache from the b*tching and moaning at home.

I would definitely call the company and ask to speak to the manager of the bozo that you dealt with. I would explain everything, and let them know that you're not pleased AT ALL wtih the way things were handled from the beginning, and explain it all the way until the end. That's very annoying.

Maybe they'll refund some money for the hassle.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

WWYD?

Probably nothing. Fact is, if these are metal stall frames they were probably stored outside at the Mfg. before they were sent to you.

The schedule was off a bit but in the end did it really cause you that much pain and suffering? Worth possibly getting someone fired?

Certainly would not complain in this case just because you think you might get some $ back.
    Last edited by pds; Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:10 AM.

I'd do nothing.

You got the products. If they are on spec and without warranty issue then be glad they are a couple of days early vice several weeks late.

Or, put another way, you have a First World Problem. Be happy.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Yeah, see, with my temperament, I would just do nothing. I'm just getting some harassment at home. Pain and suffering? Yeah, coming from DH really, with luck he'll be so happy with today's concrete, he will quickly get over his issue (and with no more irritating phone calls that should help)

I would happily leave it at not calling, but telling every horse person I knew that thought about using the company, sure go ahead, but don't speak to xxxx, or you'll never be rid of him. I kid you not, guy was worse than a car salesman.

Quote Originally Posted by pds View Post
    WWYD?

Probably nothing. Fact is, if these are metal stall frames they were probably stored outside at the Mfg. before they were sent to you.

The schedule was off a bit but in the end did it really cause you that much pain and suffering? Worth possibly getting someone fired?

Certainly would not complain in this case just because you think you might get some $ back.

This.

Perhaps the company is really hurting for orders. If times were great, perhaps they wouldn't be so ready to ship what you wanted exactly when you wanted it. I'd hate to be someone selling barn kits in this economy.

Since you like the product-- and you'll like this barn far longer than you'll remember the PITA of getting it there-- I suggest you take a breath and make a gratitude list (that you get to do this project, that you don't have to be a salesperson, that the stuff got to your place more or less ok and when you needed it, etc.)

Oh and by the way, if you are starting to keep your horses at home, this won't be the last time you run into less than stellar customer service. You'll have a lot of people you do business with and you'll never be an enormous, priority #1 account of theirs. Learn to roll with the punches and make those gratitude lists for the minor annoyances. I think it will help you enjoy your home farm much more.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

what would I do?

Next time, take the pictures to your local welder.
    Have him/her make the framework, the slap some boards in there.

And give the sales rep the Hawaiian Peace sign as farewell.

I see nothing wrong with sending the company a note describing this sales person's unprofessionally pushiness. When asked to stop calling he should have listened.

No, this is not a huge deal but the company needs to know if their sales people are giving them a bad reputation.

The constant phone calls to get the sale would not bother me - its what all sales professionals are taught to do. Its called pressure tactic. Some are better at it than others, and manage to apply the correct amount of pressure in the correct way. But all sales people are expected to keep a list of contacts and continue contacting them as long as there is a remote possibilty of making a sale.

The delivery screwup, however, would definitely generate a phone call to the company. It might be a first world problem, but if a client tells you they can't take a delivery until after a specifice date, they usually have a good reason for it. This is a customer service issue that should definitely be addressed.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Trevelyan96 View Post
    The delivery screwup, however, would definitely generate a phone call to the company. It might be a first world problem, but if a client tells you they can't take a delivery until after a specifice date, they usually have a good reason for it. This is a customer service issue that should definitely be addressed.
    I agree completely. Annoying as it is to have them ship before your concrete is ready, just imagine if you were say, in the hospital or out of town, or for some reason the route from the road to the barn was completely inaccesible at that time. I'd definitely be making a phone call to the higher ups to let them know I was displeased. Maybe not read them the riot act, but I wouldn't keep my mouth shut.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

Were I in your shoes, I would either call a higher up or write a letter. But I would begin by explaining that you really liked the product and appreciated that they could get you the product so quickly when you were ready to order. Only after talking about *that* would I mention that "hey, there were just a couple things about the process that I found difficult (or unpleasant, or whatever) and I just wanted to share them with you, as I'm sure you'd like to improve your sales flow."

Calling up just to bitch won't get you anywhere--they'll just tune you out. But if you tell them that you're a HAPPY customer, but were frustrated or off put by the sales guys tactics and false promises, and hey...you just want to help them make THEIR business better, you are faaaaaar more likely to get a sympathetic ear.

Can you PM me the name of the co? Think I know...I had contacted a co years ago and they STILL call once in a while "to follow up", even after I told them multiple times that we welded our own. Sounds familiar.

If this was an interstate shipment, you could have refused acceptance of the goods as the shipment arrived before the prearranged contracted delievry date. At that point the shipper is responsible for storage of the shipment until the contact date arrives... see section (b)

Here is the Regulations current to Aug 30, 2012

Subpart F - Transportation of shipments

§ 375.607What must I do if I am able to tender a shipment for final delivery more than 24 hours before a specified date?

(a) You may ask the individual shipper to accept an early delivery date. If the individual shipper does not concur with your request or the individual shipper does not request an early delivery date, you may, at your discretion, place a shipment in storage under your own account and at your own expense in a warehouse located near the destination of the shipment. If you place the shipment in storage, you must comply with paragraph (b) of this section. You may comply with paragraph (c) of this section, at your discretion.

(b) You must immediately notify the individual shipper of the name and address of the warehouse where you place the shipment. You must make and keep a record of your notification as a part of your shipment records. You have responsibility for the shipment under the terms and conditions of the bill of lading. You are responsible for the charges for redelivery, handling, and storage until you make final delivery.(c) You may limit your responsibility under paragraph (b) of this section up to the agreed delivery date or the first day of the period of time of delivery as specified in the bill of lading.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...px?reg=375.607

They provided you with a product that you enjoy and is of high quality, which means they are a legitimate company. I would think they would welcome constructive criticism concerning their rep (especially considering it almost cost them the sale) as well as their subsequent delivery debacle. I have no problem offering my experience and opinions to a company. The sales rep wasn't your cup of tea and as a customer you should voice your dissatisfaction. The delivery date was a big deal to you and you almost refused delivery - again, something they may need to know for the future as another customer may actually refuse delivery for similar reasons. I simply detest poor customer service.

So, let's see, the first time around with this salesguy he was pushy and did not listen to your direct instructions. You rewarded this behavior with an order, and you're surprised that he is still pushy and doesn't listen to your direct instructions? I mean, sure, he's a schmuck, but you can't have expected anything more than that.

You can complain, but I am sure these guys are fully aware that stall fronts are a one-time purchase for most barn owners. Therefore they say whatever they need to say to get the sale, and the long-term relationship doesn't matter a whole heck of a lot.
    About the only thing you can do is to use word-of-mouth to help other buyers avoid them.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I would probably call or write (most company websites include a contact email address for service issues) stating calmly that although you like the product, you were seriously inconvenience by the company's failure to meet the agreed upon delivery date. You can add that you nearly had to refuse the shipment, although since that actually didn't happen, they may not care. However, generally I find that saying something like, "The stalls themselves are really quite nice, and had it not been for the poor delivery situation, we would have been pleased to recommend your firm to others. However, I'm afraid that given the company's failure to honor the agreed upon delivery dates, we would have to say that we'd caution others from doing business with you."

That should get their attention.

Oh, and in the future if you want to discourage/eliminate a sales person's persistent "follow up" calls, simply tell them firmly that you will place an order when you are ready, and if they call again before that time, you will take your business elsewhere.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

As long as they didn't over charge you I would let it go. Many salesman are pushy. He might work on commission and there probably aren't a ton of orders being placed.

WWYD? I would have the stalls my husband did for me. Heavy, thick plywood 4 feet up then hog panels up 4 more feet. Horses never seemed to mind and it sure was cheaper.

I'd definitely write a letter saying how pissed off I was. The problem is that the sales person may actually be losing them business by being so pushy or screwing up orders. If you were a business owner wouldn't you want to know how bad your customer service was - I would for sure! There are ways to write it. If you don't want some sort of outcome but want to give them the feedback so they know what is going on, then you can write it in an appropriate tone.

I would NOT write a letter; because the most effective thing is to have a 2 way conversation w/ the owner / president / ceo. I WOULD write down notes for myself detailing the feedback I wanted to give -- starting w/ and emphasizing the positives about the product - why you chose it over other options and what you are most pleased about now that you have it; and then the constructive criticism about the overly aggressive follow up; then the valid complaint about the delivery date -- because that could have been a disaster for you & / or cost the company the sale AND return shipping. As it is, it left a bad taste in your mouth about a good product. You need to honestly share that the frustration was great enough that you and your husband came very close to refusing delivery and sending it back; which would have been a "lose-lose" proposition for you and the company.

Then call and ask to speak with the president or owner of the company -- you'll most likely get their secretary / admin, and that person can set up a time for you to speak to them briefly by phone. If you are asked what this is in reference to, just say you received your order, and you had some things that you'd like to discuss with the owner". I can promise you that in this economy especially, they want any feedback that can improve customer happiness. Just be sure to give the feedback as a sincere attempt to provide the feedback that you would want to receive if you were the company owner. They have a great product, but the sales process has some flaws. It would definitely be worse for you if it was a crappy product sold by a wonderful sales guy! But, the sales guy needs some coaching in how to stay in contact without pissing off perspective clients -- in his desperation to close the deal, he's actually hurting the company and his own commission income.

And, as for the delivery issue -- the company may not pay the sales commission until delivery is accepted by the client which may have had the unintended consequence of encouraging this early delivery stuff; which is unacceptable. As the owner I would want to figure out how to develop a sales force that was incentivized to build long term relationships and a referral network.

The owner wants you to be in this forum telling us about the great stalls you highly recommend, and the sales guy, bless his heart, wants you to be telling everyone how great he is

Anyway, my feeling is that the sales guy probably isn't a horrible employee -- the horrible employee is the one not doing any follow up; but at this point, the company actually made the sale IN SPITE OF the sales person / process; and the owner / CEO needs to know that; so they can fix it.

By speaking to the head of the company directly; you are giving him the opportunity to make such a great impression on you that you come right back here to tell us how much better you feel and that you now have no hesitation about recommending the company -- especially since you know it's owned / run by such a great person.

The best way to create devoted, outspoken clients is to eff something up and then make it right.
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

Quote Originally Posted by ldaziens View Post
    I would NOT write a letter; .................
    So why wouldn't you write a letter? A letter does not have to be critical or accusing, it can be objective with constructive criticism.