The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Non Samber lines WB stallion, Europe or USA

After being unsuccesful in breeding my mare I purchased a lovely buckskin pinto RPSI filly. She will be coming home in a few weeks and now we are looking into a breeding to one of the lovely mares from the farm I purchased my baby at. However everything WB she has that offers colour along with talent is Samber. I would love to breed something with no Samber to have in our program. I cant wait to hear what you come up with! (She has some lovely TB mares that are approved Oldenburg and RPSI that throw colour so that is what we will most likely go with, all we need is a stallion! Thanks everyone!
    Throw your heart over first....then jump after it!

What is the criteria other than color? Hunter, jumper? You can always go with a KKB double dilute TB if that counts.

This might be a better thread for the breeding forum.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Upper level eventing/jumpers, so I need the warmblood movement and jump but the added lightness of the TB. I dont mind using TB at all but not on both sides.

I did post on the breeding forum but many times people that hobby breed are not regulars on that page.

I cannot think of an upper level eventing stallion that has color. Which, maybe speaks to breeding priorities

None of the yeller TB types that I can think of have done much in the way of jumping competitively or producing offspring at the highest levels.

I think an interesting place to look is Trak blood as that's a closed book and there's a fair amount of sabino there and no Samber. Is the mare you're using pinto? That might be a way to go.

Spectrum is the only stallion that I can think of off the top of my head that seems like he might suit...

http://www.silverwoodfarm.com/spectrum.html

If upper level is your goal, I think color ought to be WAY low on your list instead of seemingly at the top?
    ~Veronica

Thank you I will look in to it. I already have horses running upper level so I am aware of the talent that is needed for a horse to compete at that level. I also am a believer that the US can produce sport horses of high enough quality it is just a matter of putting the effort in to the research. There are a fair amount of horses with colour competing from intro through 4* which means there is a market. I happen to enjoy seeing a splash of colour in the sea of bays. By doing research and trying to find out what QUALITY stallions are out there with colour I am hoping to be able to create THAT horse. There are not many Thoroughbred stallions competing at advanced or higher....that is not because they are TB's...it is because they are stallions. There simply are not that many stallions that compete upper level. I am looking for the added bonus of colour...it is by no means the only thing I am breeding for.

Quote Originally Posted by wicked1 View Post
    Thank you I will look in to it. I already have horses running upper level so I am aware of the talent that is needed for a horse to compete at that level. I also am a believer that the US can produce sport horses of high enough quality it is just a matter of putting the effort in to the research. There are a fair amount of horses with colour competing from intro through 4* which means there is a market. I happen to enjoy seeing a splash of colour in the sea of bays. By doing research and trying to find out what QUALITY stallions are out there with colour I am hoping to be able to create THAT horse. There are not many Thoroughbred stallions competing at advanced or higher....that is not because they are TB's...it is because they are stallions. There simply are not that many stallions that compete upper level. I am looking for the added bonus of colour...it is by no means the only thing I am breeding for.
    Well, you didn't share any of the other things you were looking for (mare's pedigree, mare's conformation, personality, discipline until I asked, etc.) which makes your query seemed purely color focused.
    ~Veronica

I assumed people would just throw names at me and I would do the research. I didnt want to bother people with mare details because more often then not you get biased opinions based on what people think of your mare on paper with out having met/worked with her. Just looking for stallion names. Thanks!

My mare is by Spectrum who is by Rainbow and doesn't appear to have Samber in his bloodlines. He is 16 now but I have now idea whether he is breeding anymore. My mare is a nice mover and loves to jump but is a plain bay but her mother was a Bay Thoroughbred. She is very brave and my trainer would love to event her, I'm not brave enough for that so that's not going to be her path. She is a very nice all around horse, nice enough to do lower level hunters(has pretty good jumping form), jumpers(can turn on a dime), dressage(she has shown first and is currently schooling up to 3rd level movements) or eventing(she is brave). Is she going to nationals level in any of those - nope but that's not why I bought her.

Gave you some ideas on the Sporthorse forum....we have several with Samber pretty far back so might be Ok to cross on your mare...
    Pallidio Blu CF- Palladio x Rainbow so Samber further back...
    Currently at the 70 day test we have Painted CF-
    Palladio x premium Gonzo I mare so great new lines in pinto color...and the crazy fabulous Palladio jump and brain as well!!!
    :-)
    Andrea Clibborn-Anderson
    www.crestlinefarm.com
    Home of Pinto Dutch Warmblood Palladio