The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Fly Predators not hatching?

Finally after 3 years the fly predators seem to be doing a really good job but out the last three batches only one has hatched. I can't be the only person who lives in a hot climate and the bags sit in the mailbox for some time. The company has been great about replacing them but I was wondering if anyone else is having those problems with hatching?

I haven't had any trouble with mine, but I have them delivered to my office address just so they don't sit somewhere in the heat.
    Homeopathy claims water can cure you since it once held medicine. That's like saying you can get sustenance from an empty plate because it once held food.

What brand are you using. I use Arbico and have not had any problems. Mine have been known to sit in the mailbox and they just hatch in the bag. They are still alive and I am sure they are happy when I let them out!

My mail is delivered around 11am most days and my predators sit out there until we get home from work. They have been known to sit on our porch for a couple of days too, since randomly the mailman decides to toss them on the front porch (and entry we do not use). Never had a problem with them.

I'm using Arbico also.

I use Spalding.

I use Spalding but mine have all been hatching. Mine have to sit in the mailbox all day, too, and they were fine all summer.

I use Spalding as well. Never had an issue with any of them hatching.
    Homeopathy claims water can cure you since it once held medicine. That's like saying you can get sustenance from an empty plate because it once held food.

Quote Originally Posted by CFFarm View Post
    Finally after 3 years the fly predators seem to be doing a really good job but out the last three batches only one has hatched. I can't be the only person who lives in a hot climate and the bags sit in the mailbox for some time. The company has been great about replacing them but I was wondering if anyone else is having those problems with hatching?
    Once you remove them from your mailbox & bring them inside, do you wait a few days to see if hatching commences?

One time it took almost a week for them to hatch when I kept them in the house where there was a more stable temperature.

I use Spalding, and I have never had a problem with them hatching. In the instructions it says to put out when you can see them in the package. Most times when I have gotten them it takes several days before they start hatching.

Another Spalding customer and haven't had a problem. Mine too sometimes
    set in the mailbox for a half day. Leave them on the kitchen counter until
    they hatch.

I used to have Arbico and once one package just didn't emerge after several weeks.
    I got the next package and the previous one had no bugs in it yet.
    They were not very nice about it, acted like I was lying to get some free or something.

I went with Spalding after that and now for several years and have never had them not come out, eventually.
    Some times it takes as long as it takes, but they do come out.
    Once it took over a week, I think.

Now, someone said Arbico is the main grower and all others that sell them get them from them.
    I don't know if that is right and if so, well, it is moot question then where anyone buys them, if the are all from the same source.

This has happened to me once or twice in the 4 years I've been using fly predators. Arbico has been great about sending a replacement package! Occasionally I find they take a good 4-5 days to hatch.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    Once you remove them from your mailbox & bring them inside, do you wait a few days to see if hatching commences?
    Waited and checked over 2 weeks....and nothing.