The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default GastroEase by Perfect Products?

Has anyone used GastroEase to help keep ulcers at bay on tummy-sensitive horses? My TB is very ulcer (or at least ulcer syndrome, he has not been scoped) prone and I've tried a few other daily supplements and nothing seems to help right now except UlcerGard, which even on sale, gets pricey. It looks good from the website info...

(as an aside, I am discussing with my vet as well. He is seen regularly and has a very careful, vet approved diet but is currently on limited exercise and turn-out due to injury)

Thanks in advance!
    Becky
    Becky & Red
    In Loving Memory of Gabriel, 1998-2005 and Raalph, 1977-2013

Amazing Product ! It allowed my mare to return to her sweet disposition and ready to get back to work very soon. It's very affordable compared to the other options out there. Well, I would surely recommend it.
    Manuka Honey a nature's gift !

Can you provide a link to the product?
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

http://perfectproductseq.com/gastroease-horse-care

Hope the link works, my phone sometimes doesn't copy links properly

I had been looking at it too, never tried it though.

Interesting. I too am curious about people's experience. I was going to put my mare on NeighLox this winter, but this product seems like it is a better product, and cheaper.

Kind of a "kitchen sink" product with just about every "gut" ingredient anyone can think of all tossed in there together.

I *sincerely* doubt they can fit all of these "vital" ingredients into a one-ounce daily serving without each ingredient being present in microscopic quantities that are highly unlikely to be sufficient to make any impact whatsoever.

No matter how you slice it, an ounce is about 30 grams. By the time you stuff 100 ingredients into a one-ounce serving, you're not getting much of anything!
    Click here before you buy.

And there is the voice of scientific common sense! I was waiting for you to chime in. Is there a specific "gut health" supplement that you do think makes a difference? Like, when you have a horse that lifestyle management isn't enough to keep ulcer free? Other than omeprazole.

My opinions on supplements in general are fairly well elucidated.

I'm not really one for piddling around, adding things because "it can't hurt", and meddling with this or that nutrition-wise. I prefer to go with "tincture of nothing" unless there is a specific problem, then if something is actually wrong to treat with whatever has the best possible evidence of safety and efficacy, and when all's well again, go back to just the basics.

I've just never been convinced that "supplementing" is a requirement, given the fact that nutritional deficiencies are pretty darn rare if a reasonable feeding program is in place, and I don't delude myself that all of these so-called nutraceuticals do anything meaningful. Other than generate monstrous profits for their manufacturers.

That said, if I really and truly had a horse with *documented, repeated, refractory* ulcers in spite of a truly optimal management program (or one that was the best I could offer) I would probably go with something extremely simple and humble like a plain old antacid with meals and before riding.
    Click here before you buy.