The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can oil or MSM make a horse hot? HELP

I put my OTTB on olive oil to put some weight on, which it has, but he seems to be getting hotter and hotter, I mean REALLY spooky and a PITA to say the least.

Nothing has changed except the olive oil (well I added MSM fairly recently too come to think of it). I feed a low starch feed, and not much of it, as well as beet pulp (no molasses) and flax seed.

Seriously What The Heck, he used to be quite normal, now we can't get around the arena without a spin or a bolt. I'm about ready to throw the towel in.
    Last edited by Cruiser12; Oct. 5, 2012 at 01:11 PM. Reason: added "MSM: to the title

How recently did this start happening? Has the weather changed at all lately?
    Some horses that are normal in summer turned into wild yahoos in the fall/winter.

Additional calories of any sort can ramp a horse up, but oil is usually a fairly safe bet.

How thin was he? It is possible with a thin horse that you just see their true character once they're not starving...

has your riding schedule changed? Are you riding him less now, as opposed to when he was acting more sane?

I have read on this forum some horses becoming spooky on MSM. Try a search.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

my horse is a basket case on MSM.

My mare became a nut job on oil of any kind. Took her off of it and I saw a huge improvement.

Yes. I've had a few horses get hot, silly, spooky on oil. I don't use it anymore for that reason. I use boiled or extruded barley, flax seed, sunflower seeds and lots of quality hay to put weight on.

Thank you all. I don't think it is the weather, I am in the south and we have had some cooler days, but still mostly warm, and there is no consistency, sometimes he is better when it's cooler, sometimes he is worse.

He wasn't bone thin, just Off The Track thin and he looks good now, so I am going to take him off both the MSM and oil to see if he will screw his head back on straight. He eats well and gets tons of hay and we still have good grass in the pasture, so hopefully he will maintain his weight.

Cross your fingers for us please. He's a sweet, sweet boy normally and I would like to get that horse back!

Since he's OTT, has he been treated for ulcers at all?
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

take off both msm and oil for a while and then reintroduce one at a time to see which one is the culprit.

HA! that recently happened with our somewhat elderly event horse ( 18) who never really showed any kind of naughty behavior at all! In our case, the only thing that had changed was that he was being fed alfalfa for weight gain and energy! We had to take him off alfalfa. He returned to normal.

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    Since he's OTT, has he been treated for ulcers at all?
    Yes he was, and he has never shown signs of ulcers since I have had him. I did a search on MSM and it seems that it certainly does cause spookiness and hotness in some horses.
    So I am taking him off BOTH oil and MSM and will reintroduce oil after a while, unless he maintains his weight and then I won't bother. he eats like a horse (pardon the pun) so maybe he can maintain his weight, and screw the joint supplements of any kind for a while!!

I have a trail master, cocky, brave QH gelding who becomes an absolute quivering mess on MSM.

I hadn't had him on it for years, but recently started my mare on it and started tossing some in his dish just for the sake of it. Poor dude. It took a few weeks for it to hit his system, but I walked out one windy day to just find him shaky, miserable, and scared. I was incredibly concerned until I was making up his dinner and reached for the MSM and it all clicked. Worst owner ever!

Took him off it and within a few days he was back his normal, lovely, calm and confident self.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Additional calories of any sort can ramp a horse up, but oil is usually a fairly safe bet.

How thin was he? It is possible with a thin horse that you just see their true character once they're not starving...
    This is what I was thinking too...he could just be feeling a lot better now then when you first got him.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    my horse is a basket case on MSM.
    This happens to one of mine, too. His personality does a 180 and he's a nightmare to be around on MSM.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    I have a trail master, cocky, brave QH gelding who becomes an absolute quivering mess on MSM.

I hadn't had him on it for years, but recently started my mare on it and started tossing some in his dish just for the sake of it. Poor dude. It took a few weeks for it to hit his system, but I walked out one windy day to just find him shaky, miserable, and scared. I was incredibly concerned until I was making up his dinner and reached for the MSM and it all clicked. Worst owner ever!

Took him off it and within a few days he was back his normal, lovely, calm and confident self.
    Wow! I certainly hope that it is indeed the MSM that is causing this issue and that he hasn't just turned into a basket case... by the sound of many of these posts, I think that we can blame it on the MSM.... we will see next week. I'm leaving for vacation tomorrow morning and praying that I will come back to my happy horse in a week.

I have one that got spooky and goofy on MSM. I even rechallenged her (stopped it for a month then put her back on it). Yep, it was the MSM.

My current horse has no problems with it but some do.

My normally bombproof mule became very spooky and reactive when on MSM. I took him off it and he returned to normal.

I've never had a problem feeding MSM to any other equines though.

I had the same issues using MSM on my younger OTTB. Tried it due to some skin issues since it worked wonders on my other OTTB. It turned my normally mellow boy into a jigging, spooking mess. Doesn't bother anyone else in the barn at all.

Parker returned to his normal cheerful self within a few days after taking him off the MSM.
    ~ A true friend knows all there is to know about you and still likes you. -E. Hubbard