The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

The Great White North, where we get taxed out the wazoo

Red face Spur Mark- Getting it to Heal?

So I rode my TB yesterday- had a really good ride, wore my spurs I have used on him for ages. I also wore my old half chaps- haven't used them in a while. I figure what happened was my left spur ( I wear hammerheads) was up higher than normal and when I got off I was beyond horrified that I had put a spur mark on him.
    He moves off my leg pretty well, was a very good boy, didn't ride him for a super long time- maybe 30 minutes? Anyways I am hoping someone can make some suggestions as to how to get this to heal quickly.
    I am aware this is bad, and won't be riding him with spurs anytime very soon. I am looking for suggestions to speed the healing process. I know he is thin haired and is also shedding which can make this more likely to happen. I will also be super aware of spur placement as well.

I use papaw cream. Keeps the skin soft so the hair grows through easy.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Body Glide. The major culprit in my case was the binding at the bottom of the half chaps. You don't want the skin too soft of you'll keep removing the skin.
    The Evil Chem Prof

My old horse would get rubs from LEGS if he had a little bit of extra hair growth on him. I clipped him about 5 times one winter to keep rubs like that from happening. Wondering if that's the case here...that time of year.

Any type of anti-chaffing product will work. I used to use Chammois Butter (similar to Body Glide). You can also put a beach towel under the saddle, along his sides, to help keep the marks away (you see this a lot at the FEI levels in dressage and eventing, as spur marks are a big deal...even when you just have a particularly sensitive horse).

When you do ride him, until its healed, you'll want to protect it. There are those modified nifty saddle pads for that(here.) Since this is a one time thing though, you could use one of those giant square band aids - it'll keep it from being irritated by your leg.
    Last edited by laughATTACK; Oct. 5, 2012 at 08:08 AM.

I did this once, I was so angry at myself. I was putting a big square of duct tape over it for each ride and tucking a handtowel or standing wrap into the saddle pad/girth as a buffer until it healed over. Then I tried spraying at with Alumnashield. The horse didn't hugely care for that sensation but it helped and that's what finally got it to close up.

I put myself on time out from spurs.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by laughATTACK View Post
    When you do ride him, until its healed, you'll want to protect it. There are those modified nifty saddle pads for that(here.) Since this is a one time thing though, you could use one of those giant square band aids - it'll keep it from being irritated by your leg.
    Neat product, I had not seen that. I think Beval has one too, but it's got MUCH less coverage.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I cannot ride my mare with spurs when she is shedding.

I use spurs during winter and summer and leave no marks ever. Fall and spring...not so sure.

I bought a pair of spurs with a 'ball' that rolls if I really need my spurs. Roller ball spurs

It works well enough.

Calm Coat. I spray it on before rides too to prevent spur rubs if the horse has sensitive skin. Love that stuff. Smells great too

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    My old horse would get rubs from LEGS if he had a little bit of extra hair growth on him.
    Yep - My appy is a roan - and right now she has two big areas of dark hair on her sides - where my heels go! Its not raw or irritated in any way, but the hair is rubbed a bit, and it becomes obvious when her winter (fluffy) coat comes in.

I expect a high trace clip (which she will be getting soon) should take care of the problem.

The Great White North, where we get taxed out the wazoo

Thanks guys, they look a lot better today, I am just going to lunge him for a few days. I also appreciate not getying a lecture sbout my leg, my horse, my riding or training. The absolute worst part is Im riding said beast in the local George the Almighty Morris Clinic next weekend.
    God help me...

I totally feel you here. My TB gets rubs from everything, and has product-sensitive skin, so I've used cocoa butter and coconut oil (straight up, the cocoa butter comes in sticks for use on people skin, and the coconut oil comes from the grocery store. get the stuff that's pure and doesn't have anything else added to it) to prevent friction, and use either rounded knob spurs or roller balls. Keep in mind, though, that the roller ball spurs will rip out hair on a horse with a long coat. The hairs get caught in the rolly part (I'm sure there's a proper name for it, I just don't know it) and are plucked out. Lots of good suggestions in this thread!

Another thing to remember is to keep your spurs super clean, your boots super clean, and the side of your horse super clean. Dirt anywhere is going to give you more friction and more irritation, and will keep the rubs from healing and can cause rubs in the first place (on paper-skinned horses).

Good luck at your clinic!

What color is your horse?

If it is not completely healed/hair haven't grown back enough, you could cover it with someShow Touch Up (obviously don't put this on an open wound...)

Test it a bit before to make you do it properly.

If it is not healed properly before the clinic, you could always put on really really small spurs like those round tom thumb

or admit to GM that your horse is really sensitive while shedding, that yes your legs aren't that stable and you did hurt your horse but are trying your best not to repeat the offense! (And that you won't be shy to use the whip right behind your leg if needed!)

Good luck to the clinic.

Personnally, if it isn't healed and you think having spurs on could damage your horse's side even more, I wouldn't ride with spurs and would go talk to GM for his opinion.
    Last edited by alibi_18; Oct. 6, 2012 at 01:21 AM. Reason: GOOD LUCK AT THE CLINIC!!! I WISH I COULD DO A GM CLINIC

I am having the same issue on a horse I just bought- I dont wear spurs but my right leg is weak from a past injury- i cant feel it onthe horse and it doe smove around. My new grey guy has a rub- I got a few looks when I wrapped my legs in cotton wraps but it worked! I said I was bringing the "leg warmer" 70's look back!!
    RIP Triple Take (aka Indiana )

Default Our vet suggested and it works

Take smz's crush makes paste , i mix a little tea tree and destin with cruushed smz and on -- wahla
    I raced as a Doctor Jumped as a King
    Just remember me as Tobias
    5/6/2000 - 12/25/2011

Make up a really good story for the GM clinic.Something about you let your friend who is terminally ill have her dying wish to ride your horse ,and how she was too weak to use her leg effectively without the spurs.Not your fault at all.

There is nothing to be ashamed of a spur rub, especially in winter coat season. Some horses just get them easier than others. I don't even wear spurs and my tb has hair missing on one side simply because of friction. It happens.

Friends of mine have had very good luck putting a thin beach towel under the saddle/saddle pad during shedding season. It can look a little funny, but prevents the rub and it is easy.