The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dog hit by car and stuck under fender...

This has been all over the news here lately...a small poodle mix was hit by a car, got stuck under the fender and was taken for a ride for 11 miles, over the border into RI. Apparently, the driver did not realize the dog was there and called police when he stopped and saw the dog. An earlier article said the driver thought he'd hit something, looked, saw nothing (because dog was stuck under the front of the car), thought he'd imagined it and drove on. Dog was relatively unscathed, considering, concussion and a bladder injury. Owner eventually identified dog and got it back.

OK, lucky dog!

BUT, this is bugging me...the owner now says the the dog escaped by digging under his fence, which the dog has done before. The dog has lots of "fans", locally, because of all the news coverage. The owner is asking the "fans" to make donations to the RI Animal Control facility to pay the dog's vet bills, which were fronted by AC when owner was still unidentified. Ugh...why doesn't the owner pay the vet bills? It was his fault.

http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/2012...uPN/story.html

Yeah, I saw this too. Lucky, cute little doggie. Agree was totally owner's fault. Bury the fence very deep. And pay your own vet bills.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Hopefully those donations to AC will cover more than her vet bills. Owner needs to pay bills, then tell folks wishing to lose some money to donate to XYZ.

Quotes from him:
    “My kids are going to walk her,” he said.

He also plans to set up a dog run using a long leash and clothesline so that Suzie can dig all she wants without escaping the yard.

Head meet desk.

The poor driver! Can you imagine how horrible you would feel? It really wasn't their fault, but I bet they feel awful about it. I'm impressed the dog survived!
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

Oh, yeah, the poor driver must be losing sleep over this...they cared enough to stop when they thought they'd hit something and to call authorities when they realized what had happened, some people would probably just peel the dog off, clean the blood off their bumper, and go on their way. That's one of my big fears...that someone's loose dog will run in front of my car in such a way that I can't stop in time.

And, yes, big smack to the owner. He, apparently, didn't learn a thing. What about if, you have a problem dog, you don't let it outside unsupervised?

We have a problem with a next door neighbor, she has two little "Pomapoo" designer mutts. She has a fenced backyard and a dog door and they come and go when they please, meaning they are outside while she's not home on a regular basis, barking their fool heads off. I work out of the home four days a week and just shut the windows, turn on a fan and ignore them when I am home and neighbor is not. But, another neighbor is majorly distressed about it, as she is home all day with small children. The "noisy" neighbor complained to me about the complaining neighbor and I told her that the solution was not to leave her barking dogs out unsupervised and to shut the dog door and keep them in when she wasn't home. Apparently, she can't do that "...because they aren't housetrained to hold it and will pee and poop all over the house". ARGHHHHHH!!!! I told her that was her problem to deal with, but she didn't understand why that was.

How about...for both the "car dog"'s owner and my selfish neighbor, that they get off their lazy butts, walk their dogs and house train and stop messing up the lives of other people (let alone the dogs) with their poor dog management. I'm not young, and very busy, if I couldn't get up and take my two mid-sized herding mutts outside for sufficient elimination opportunities and exercise myself, I wouldn't have them.

I know why so many rescues insist on fenced yards, because there are too many people out there like this. We do not have a fence yard because 1) it would be really tough to fence this property efficiently and 2) we don't NEED one, the dogs are under human supervision, or contained safely in the house, at all times.

I saw that and it aggrevated me too.

One of my facebook peeps was upset and angry the other night b/c someone hit her dog and didn't stop-the dog died. She was lashing out at the driver and I know she was upset but I was thinking "why was she in the road in the first place?..."

Glad the pup survived the grill ride, poor thing.