The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Floating Ads??

Am I the only one experiencing these popup/floating ads for John Deere, nearly every time I change pages?

Would love to know if this is going to be a regular thing. I love COTH, I love that it's free, and don't mind that half my screen is taken up by scrolling, flipping ads and green bars on the sides. Not at all.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

There is a thread in "help".

These ads SUCK!!!!

Nope, you are not alone, and it popped up as soon as I opened your thread.

It makes me feel violated.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Firefox with Adblocker Plus, fanboy's list and easylist. No ads, anywhere, on any site.

Why do people put up with ads when they don't have to?
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Firefox. Adblock Plus. No ads.

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    Firefox with Adblocker Plus, fanboy's list and easylist. No ads, anywhere, on any site.

My life is fairly ad-free. I don't really do a ton of surfing aside from COTH, facebook and my local craigslist.
    I don't really want to download a bunch of add on's and junk just to block the sneaky floating ad that gets past my popup blocker.

If this is COTH's idea of new advertising, I may have to change my ways.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    When the ads are not intrusive, I will leave them on to support the site I'm viewing.

But I don't put up with intrusive advertising. I blocked COTH when they started allowing ads with sound. Probably a good thing, as it sounds like they are just continuing to go downhill in their advertising choices.

It's a shame, because I caught some sales I didn't know about otherwise and clicked through on a few companies I wouldn't have heard of otherwise.

But my support of a site does not go to being badgered, so no more for me.

Another one that came up today, was an ad for a Dodge truck.

I already have one of those.

But yes, annoying.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post
    My life is fairly ad-free. I don't really do a ton of surfing aside from COTH, facebook and my local craigslist.
    I don't really want to download a bunch of add on's and junk just to block the sneaky floating ad that gets past my popup blocker.

If this is COTH's idea of new advertising, I may have to change my ways.
    Yeah, that's how I feel too.

However, I have found the [X] and my life is now better

Still don't like what the ads do to the screen font though.

Well, look folks, its a free site, I think we should learn to live with minor annoyances. As a matter of fact, the more "hits" the ads get the more likely it is the companies will want to advertise here. (At least, that's what I read somewhere). So click away and support COTH!

Found it:
    http://www.slate.com/articles/techno..._browsing.html
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

*Shrug* Suit yourself.

Enjoy the random floating, blinking, beeping advertisements to your heart's content.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Most ads like these have an "X" that you can click on to get rid of the ad. No so with the ones now popping up on COTH, at least not that I can see.. That annoys me to no end!

What browser are you using to see these? I spent perhaps an hour in IE tonight to try to see what all the fuss was about and got nothing other than the usual side bar ads.

I'm on Chrome and I saw it once. I was looking for the little "X" and couldn't find it.

I really don't mind ads and will randomly will click on ads if I like the website.. that said, I do like to close out of the ads that are in my way!

Quote Originally Posted by pds View Post
    Most ads like these have an "X" that you can click on to get rid of the ad. No so with the ones now popping up on COTH, at least not that I can see.. That annoys me to no end!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat_Renee View Post
    I'm on Chrome and I saw it once. I was looking for the little "X" and couldn't find it.

I really don't mind ads and will randomly will click on ads if I like the website.. that said, I do like to close out of the ads that are in my way!
    On Chrome, the X tends to blend in with other text on the side bar. I'm okay with the ad popping up once, but not every time I click on a new thread. However, I do want to support COTH and will click on the side bar ads, but I must admit the pop up one on the bottom is annoying.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

I'm installing the adblock plus.

I feel like others that I see some ads I actually *want* to see. But this is ridiculous.

We have horrible slow "country internet" here and an old computer because it's still faster than our web. This old computer also has a small screen - and the ads make it nearly impossible to use the site at all.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

There are big letters saying CLOSE and an X on the top right that closes the ad. If you can't see it it's over a black background, scroll down. That said, they ARE annoying.

Yes, very very annoying. FYI to the Advertisers I will NOT be buying your product or going to your page if I have to click it off the page more than once. I have gone to websites from COTH but wouldn't for the pushy ones.

Ah. There is it. Opened up the board in Chrome and the Dodge Ram ad popped right up.

FWIW, no problems at all in IE (saw all the side bar ads) or (as mentioned before) in Firefox with ad blocker.