The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Loving all this confirmation on the MSM- can't wait to get home from vacation (ok I CAN wait) but I can't wait to see if he is "cured"

I haven't even read the replies, but my mare goes BONKERS on MSM. Tried it twice, 6 years apart, and bonkers both times.

I just have to say, I think this thread also confirmed by beliefs.

I have a 6 year old OTTB and last March she had a minor injury inflicted to her RH hock and I decided to put her off for a month to be safe. She was in at night, turned out in a smaller paddock during the day so she couldn't get too crazy. I always put her on oil during the winter months (I never see any personality change with oil) and she was just coming off the oil and I decided to give her MSM as I read great reviews about it and it's positive effect on the joints.

Well after about a week she was AWFUL. My SWEET horse, who never acted "mare-ish," never tried to walk faster than the human, never bolted, bit, etc. was so terrible to be around. I came to the barn about twice every day to take her out of her pen, walk her around, graze her etc. to keep her from being bored. Maybe it was the lack of riding, maybe it was being in a paddock alone...but since she's experienced fewer rides and no partner before, it all points to the MSM. In that month, it was the only time my horse has ever bit me, kicked me, rammed someone (by poor boyfriend) into the gate and then right over him, bolted with the BO and swung her head around so hard she hit him square in the head. I mean it was BAD.

No more MSM...no more evil mare.

Quote Originally Posted by HorsePlayyy View Post
    I just have to say, I think this thread also confirmed by beliefs.

I have a 6 year old OTTB and last March she had a minor injury inflicted to her RH hock and I decided to put her off for a month to be safe. She was in at night, turned out in a smaller paddock during the day so she couldn't get too crazy. I always put her on oil during the winter months (I never see any personality change with oil) and she was just coming off the oil and I decided to give her MSM as I read great reviews about it and it's positive effect on the joints.

Well after about a week she was AWFUL. My SWEET horse, who never acted "mare-ish," never tried to walk faster than the human, never bolted, bit, etc. was so terrible to be around. I came to the barn about twice every day to take her out of her pen, walk her around, graze her etc. to keep her from being bored. Maybe it was the lack of riding, maybe it was being in a paddock alone...but since she's experienced fewer rides and no partner before, it all points to the MSM. In that month, it was the only time my horse has ever bit me, kicked me, rammed someone (by poor boyfriend) into the gate and then right over him, bolted with the BO and swung her head around so hard she hit him square in the head. I mean it was BAD.

No more MSM...no more evil mare.
    Wow! That is NO good! Glad your mare is back to normal!

Quote Originally Posted by jm2 View Post
    I haven't even read the replies, but my mare goes BONKERS on MSM. Tried it twice, 6 years apart, and bonkers both times.

Thank you for sharing, all these replies make me much more hopeful!