The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Quote Originally Posted by netg View Post
    I actually prefer the posting trot being allowed at first, because I think many horses aren't ready for you to sit working gaits until after they develop collected gaits just for the strength of their topline.
    I agree, but I'm sure you noticed that I suggested it was better *rider* preparation for the next level. I think a lot of people aren't really working on their sitting UNTIL they get to second - instead of incorporating it into the work at first when the horse is ready.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Sitting the trot is the easiest part of 2nd IMO LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post
    I agree, but I'm sure you noticed that I suggested it was better *rider* preparation for the next level. I think a lot of people aren't really working on their sitting UNTIL they get to second - instead of incorporating it into the work at first when the horse is ready.
    I agree with that! But I am of the mindset, at least at the lower levels - may as well make it easy for you on an average day at home before trying to show it... which doesn't mean you'll do well in a show environment, but at least performing what's required won't be the stressful part of it.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Quote Originally Posted by snow horse View Post

If you horse can do clean successful 2's, it's generally accepted that they can learn the 1's. It's the overall high level of collection (piaffe, passage, pirouettes included here) and full extension requirements that are often the tipping points between a sound I1 horse and an unsound GP horse.

I think this is totally wrong. Horses get hung up at the upper levels due to inability to do 1s or piaffe or passage. Assuming they are strong enough to perform the GP work, those are the three most common hang ups. Many, many horses do just fine with 2s, but 1s are almost like a whole new gait. Just as the power to do the passage, or the ability to sit and NOT move forward in the piaffe can be the end of the road, so too is the concept of 1s.

If you go to a CDI and watch the rides, those three things are where you most see something lacking at the GP. The pirouettes are introduced at 4th level, the collection is pretty established by 4th/PSG. It is the ultimate collected moves, the transitions between those moves, and the "new gait" of the 1s that keeps so many talented horses out of the GP.

I think the big "barriers" are 2nd level, PSG if the horse struggles with changes, then I-2 and GP.

My hunter could do 2's but I never asked for 1s and he was pretty far from being a GP horse--but he could do changes and stay light, correct, straight and balanced even in sequence--I suspect if he'd had more dressage centered training he might have been able to produce a line of ones--but maybe not GP quality

My current guy is not at a level where we actually need Changes yet but I did play with them a bit earlier this season just to be sure we had something to work with later as I know this can be a bit of a deal breaker for some. Occasionally I play with them--but they are not our focus at this time.

In some ways I think we waited too long with our other guy to put the changes on him and was just confirmed at Third Level earlier this year (3-3).