The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Weatherbeeta v Rambo Blankets

My horse wears a 75 in the weatherbeeta orican freestyle. What would he wear in the Rambo Original w/ leg arches? I know weatherbeetas run big but do the Rambo's?

I don't use Weatherbeeta blankets so I can't compare sizes, but I've found Rambos run pretty true to size. If you measure a 75, get a 75. I have a horse that is a 76 in most blankets, and the 75 fits him perfectly, if not very slightly on the short side.

My weatherbeetas are all perhaps 10 years old at this point, but my mare that wears a 75 in Rambo wears a 78 in weatherbeeta.

This is interesting. My guy has worn Weatherbeeta's Orican for years. 78 was too big so got him 75's which he has worn for the past few years. They fit him okay but did rub a bit. Decided to get the Rambo Original w/ leg arches the end of last season on clearance (sheet and medium weight). Of course I didn't try them on figuring they would fit since most people have said that they were about the same (both brands fitting a bit big). Tried them on tonight. Well.... When he puts his head down, his bum is showing! Not horribly but he will definitely get a breeze! His WB didn't do that. And it seems a little tight at the base of his neck then too.

Thankfully I got them from SmartPak so can return w/o issue. Guess I need to go a size up though they aren't on clearance now so will have to pay the difference. Will go out and measure him tomorrow per the Horsewear chart (mid chest up to base of tail minus 4") and see what I get. Way back when, I measured him mid chest and straight across. Maybe that's the difference.

He's an Appendix. About 16.2 or so. Narrow chest but large shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    My weatherbeetas are all perhaps 10 years old at this point, but my mare that wears a 75 in Rambo wears a 78 in weatherbeeta.
    Somewhere in the last 8-13 years, weatherbeeta started oversizing their blankets. The first sheet I ever bought my horse (nearly 14 years ago) was a 78", fit perfectly. The next WB 78" sheet I got for my mare obviously ran a size bigger (almost 8 yrs ago.) I bought several Freestyle WB's and they were big as well.
    Now I would say, 75 in WB = 75 in Amigo/Rhino and I'd assume Rambo. I'm afraid now, as I think I bought the same clearance Rambo as LSM1212 and I don't think I tried it on the horse, just assumed it would fit.

WB's fit my mare very well. She is not hard on clothing so they last a long time and I've never tried the Rambo's as the WB's are cheaper. I do use a Bossy's Bib with all my blankets to never any rubs.

Susan

Quote Originally Posted by OTTBs View Post
    Somewhere in the last 8-13 years, weatherbeeta started oversizing their blankets. The first sheet I ever bought my horse (nearly 14 years ago) was a 78", fit perfectly. The next WB 78" sheet I got for my mare obviously ran a size bigger (almost 8 yrs ago.) I bought several Freestyle WB's and they were big as well.
    Now I would say, 75 in WB = 75 in Amigo/Rhino and I'd assume Rambo. I'm afraid now, as I think I bought the same clearance Rambo as LSM1212 and I don't think I tried it on the horse, just assumed it would fit.
    I think you are right. When I bought him, the blanket he had was a 78. But when I bought a WB of the same size it was too big. So got the 75. So figured that was the case with Rambo since everyone seems to say they run big too.

Here is the chart per SmartPak:
    http://www.smartpakequine.com/Produc...ctClassId=8714

The measurement is the same as the WB (75 = 6'3"). But it just seems to be a bit short in the rear and snug in the front. I guess it's the cut? His WB did come down and back further near his shoulder so maybe that's why the 75 fit better in the WB since it slid back a little. Didnt cover his withers as much. Where the Rambo is more fitted in the shoulders and a little higher up.

Any case, I will be sending the 75's back and getting the 78's. I think the extra 3 inches will make it fit better.

Thanks everyone! Just sucks. Wish I had known as I could have ordered the bigger size. Oh well..

Weatherbeetas w/Freestyle do run quite large; I always order a size smaller than what my horse normally wears. I find that the Rambos run just slightly on the small side, but I still order my horses' normal size.

I have one weatherbeeta for my big guy, and it is probably a size bigger than its labled.

For rambos, I usually have to go up 1-2 sizes from what the horse measures.

I think there are a zillion different WB models so I don't know how much help this will be. Somerset can just get into an 84 orican-- just. He's also just getting into an 84 Rambo. 84 Amigo is much nicer/roomier. He really is best in an 87 Rambo. Hope that's somewhat a help!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I've got several Horsewares & Weatherbeetas for the same horse. A 78" in Horseware = a 75" in Weatherbeeta. Hope this helps.
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

Quote Originally Posted by retrofit View Post
    I've got several Horsewares & Weatherbeetas for the same horse. A 78" in Horseware = a 75" in Weatherbeeta. Hope this helps.
    This is exactly what I needed. Went to the barn this morning (yay for having a day off work) and my BO was there and had an Amigo/Rhino (can't remember which one) that was a 78. So we put it on my boy. Fit him well so he's definitely a 78 in the Horsewear. So that's what I ordered and will be returning the 75's.

Thanks everyone! Hope one size up is all I'll need. Don't want to do the returning thing again!