The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bretton Woods vs Chagall

Was hoping for feedback on the offspring of these two half brothers. I must admit, I did try to breed to Bretton Woods in 2011, and after seeing his foals....just on video now....I am happy, my mare did not get pregnant. Am I missing something?

Chagall of the other hand, looks like he is producing nicely. Any feed back on Chagall (Jazz/De Niro/Romancier) foals ? Realize it was his first breeding season. I saw Chagall go at the Oldenburg Hengste Korung and he was tight/nervous and did present himself well..... but will not hold that against him. I know one of his front legs turns out substantially but does he pass this on? Feel free to PM.
    Nancy Holowesko
    www.crosiadorefarm.com
    Breeders of GOV Horses for Dressage

HI Nancy, I will pass your note on to Scot Tolman. He has been following Chagall since he was 2. Thanks for the Bretton Woods remarks. I wasted a breeding season trying to breed Suzi's mare to him.

Thanks for the heads up, Judy.

Nancy,

I bought 10 doses of Chagall last year. I've used four doses on three different mares with no pregnancies so far. Of course, given my unusual lack of success with frozen this breeding season, that may not be an indication of much. Chagall's foal report just came out, so you can find it on the KWPN site. His is the best of last year's dressage stallions. He probably needs to be bred to a bigger mare. I haven't read Bretton Woods's foal report, but from the ones I've seen, I'd say he throws a longer, slower hind leg and a less consistent type than Chagall foals. That being said, I've seen a couple that are outrageously good, too. Having seen in the flesh the DeNiro mare who is dam to both stallions, I have to say that Chagall is a much more consistent type himself. He has her balance and good conformation. She also turns out slightly in the front--left, I think. She could have a little longer front leg, but she's a lovely mare who did a super riding test.

Hope this is helpful info.

Scot

Thanks Scott. Judy Yancey had shared pictures of the dam and she looked older style but quite impressive. Think she had a black colt by Totilas at her side last year too (-: Quite a mare.

I have a mare in foal to Voice for next year but also wanted to investigate Chagall as he too has the D x R cross (Deniro/Romancier vs DeNiro/Rohdiamant) combined with/used over Dutch mare lines. I prefer Chagall's type/movement over his half brother BW

The Voice frozen was good. Guess I might wait on trying the Chagall frozen for awhile.
    Nancy Holowesko
    www.crosiadorefarm.com

I wouldn't call Chagall's dam old fashioned, Nancy. She's more modern in type, just could use a slightly longer front leg. She's had two Totilas foals, one colt that's being raised as a stallion prospect and a filly this year.

Voice is definitely on my list and has been.

When I say "older style" it is in no way a negative comment. Unfortunately "older style" includes mares with shorter front legs in "our" registry (-: But I have not seen this particular mare so I will have to take you lead.

My best producing mares would not be categorized as "modern" in type. But I only judge them on how they produce... and so far the not so "modern" are out-classing the "modern" most of the time. But this is a topic most likely worthy of a separate discussion.
    Nancy Holowesko
    www.crosiadorefarm.com