The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Riding in Horry County/Myrtle Beach, SC

I just received news this morning that the bf got his dream job as a paid fire fighter in Horry County starting 10/22. Sad news for me but exciting for him. While I wouldn't be joining him so soon, I was curious what the riding scene is like in the event we decided to move in together in the future.

I don't have a horse to board and am a very experienced rider in my mid 20's who has been a working student for a few professionals.

Thanks everyone
    Last edited by tua37516; Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:25 PM.

Do you mean SC not MD?

Yes, South Carolina.

*bump*

anyone have any advice?

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

Depends on what level you are looking for. Not much AA type activity but I know a couple of good folks in the area
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

I wish Myrtle was in MD! No idea what the horse scene is like but I love the area.

Hehe I certainly wish it was in MD too! I don't have a big showing budget so no AA would be fine with me, but here in Chester County, PA I am spoiled with a pretty competitive local show circuit.

I don't necessarily need to show either but I would be looking for knowledgeable horse folks who appreciate a good flatworm foundation… I love a good trail ride but aspire to greater things

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

lol...flatworm....i think there is medication for that:-D
    Justintime Farm and Red Gate Stables would be my starting points
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Quote Originally Posted by mroades View Post
    I lived in MB for 4 years. Boarded at Red Gate. Wonderful people. Would definitely recommend! There are not a lot of options down in that area for horses, and certainly not for H/J folk. But the family at Red Gate are good horse people and try (successfully) to do it right.

There's not a lot around there. You will be in shock (I am now back in Zone 2 myself). The closest SCHOOLING show series was a minimum of 2-3 hours away, don't think that has changed much in the last 10 years, but I could be wrong.

Edited to add: I was almost exactly in your shoes when I moved to MB, except bf & I were moving together. The opportunities to do training rides, etc just to keep riding, are not in abundance if they are even available. Certainly not like up in our area. I ended up buying an OTTB from up here and shipping it down so I had something to ride. Board rates are WAY cheaper though....good luck! Some of the best years of my life occured in MB.

Thanks to you both for the advice!

I'm not going anywhere fast since I have a very good job at a medical company up here and he had only two weeks' notice of his start date. Thinking maybe next year... but it good to know that there are opportunities out there even if they are limited!

May be a similiar situation for me TB--might be time to get one of my own then if board is so reasonable

I highly suggest feeling it out first. The idea is novel, until you live there. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but I went back for the first time in 10 years last year. And while at first it was like "going home", after about 4 days, I was over it.

Very touristy (obviously) and opportunities really are limited. Summer is a BEAR. I don't know how the new traffic patterns help or hurt the area in the summer, but when i was there, what was a 15 min commute in the winter, could turn into an hour plus in the summer. Fall and spring are BEAUTIFUL

I hope it works out for you! It's entirely different. Most of the "transplants" that are not retirees, move on.

I still loved my time down there. I miss it greatly. But I would never move back...until I'm ready to retire, then maybe.

PM huntjumpSC. She's been around that part of SC for ages and is one of the nicest COTHers I've ever met.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

TB--I agree with you. I live in horse country now, so the beach has never been my idea of the ideal place to live (you don't ride hunters on the beach lol) but I will give it a few visits and check it out.

I'm in absolutely no rush to go anywhere, I am renewing my lease here in horse country PA this year but who knows what will happen with the bf. Maybe he will miss me terribly and will try to twist my arm into moving south next year . The only downside to riding up here is that as a fairly experienced amateur I can catch many rides but absolutely cannot afford boarding/showing. The upside to the south is I could afford board on a greenie for myself to bring along.

Thanks again for satisfying my curiosity everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by mroades View Post
    I second both of these The trainers at both facilities are super nice people and attend / put on some nice clinics with well known professionals. If you are looking for top-notch, AA, full service care with grooms then you might not find it in Myrtle Beach. However I can vouch for the two listed above that their horses are well cared for and the trainers are good people. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.
    Footnote
    Miss Money Penny
    Fuerst Class
    Monroe

As always I am super appreciative of everyone's thoughtful advice and offers to PM with any questions

I probably won't get started on that process until he is down there for a while and settled. I wouldn't even consider going until next year... I have a pretty great apartment job, & riding opportunities up here!

My online friend Madison Brown lives in S.C snd rides at redgate.

https://www.facebook.com/madisonkimberly?fref=ts

The owner of redgate.

https://www.facebook.com/heryeal1114?fref=ts