The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Training Level Freestyles

In looking at the link for USEF rule changes passed on Sept. 17, DR129.1 shows Training Level Freestyles are now included.

http://prc.usef.org/reports/USEFSear...ter=DR&year=12

No test sheet is listed on the USDF site yet (not a surprise), but this may be a good thing to help boost entries somewhat.

Thanks for posting this information! I'm excited about it as I have been creating training level freestyles for schooling shows for the last couple of years. For these shows we have used the USPC training freestyle guidelines, so I wonder if the USDF guidelines will be the same/similar. It will be a great way to encourage more participation from the broad base of lower level riders. I know that given my time to devote to my "hobby" and the challenges of riding a slightly downhill built Paint horse I expect to spend a couple of years at Training level, and this will just give me another test option.

Default Can it be so?

It's looks like a correction to me - First Level crossed out and Training Level handwritten it. Is That allowed?

It's not handwritten, it's bold italic, which means it's a change. Since Training Level Freestyles were not allowed before, now it looks like they will be.

That is good news! I've seen them at schooling shows and Pony Club events, so glad to hear USEF will now allow them. Freestyles are fun, and a chance to show off our creative side. My guess on required moves - 20 meter trot and canter circles, free walk, and stretchy circle. Maybe scores on some transitions (trot to canter)?

One nice thing - it would be quite easy to convert a Training Level freestyle to a First Level freestyle, so as you move up a level, you don't give up all your musical editing!

Here is the link to the test on the USDF site.
    Under the 2011 MFS tests is a new line in red for the Training level test, effective Dec. 1, 2012

http://www.usdf.org/downloads/form/i...TypePass=Tests

Your link didn't work, so I searched again and found it. (I had looked where the forms are listed for competition management, which hasn't been updated.)

http://www.usdf.org/docs/tests/dress...letraining.pdf

Thanks for finding and posting!

How long can they be? I feel sorry for the judges honestly having to watch TL freestyles LOL unless they are shorter than the test is!
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

It says on the test - Max Time 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by NOMIOMI1 View Post
    How long can they be? I feel sorry for the judges honestly having to watch TL freestyles LOL unless they are shorter than the test is!
    Do you also feel sorry for the judges having to watch intro and training level tests?

The bulk of the riders in our GMO are intro and training level riders. We all have to start somewhere, and some of us, due to time and money constraints stay there longer than others. I would think it would be an interesting change to the day to have some freestyles.

Yes to a degree LOL

Can you imagine?

And yes Ive done a bit of TL but a freestyle? Really? LOL

You shouldnt WANT to stay long enough to perfect a freestyle and I dont buy this aqha/arab/walkaloosa cant do first and some of second.

I like the idea of having training level freestyles. Right now I'm showing training level and schooling first. By the time I'm ready to do a decent first level freestyle at a show, I'd have to be doing First-3 which means I'd be schooling 2nd at that point. That's not going to happen for at least a year, maybe more. Until this new announcement, I was thinking I'd have to wait a really long time before doing freestyles, but not so anymore.

That's exciting news
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

You shouldnt WANT to stay long enough to perfect a freestyle and I dont buy this aqha/arab/walkaloosa cant do first and some of second.
    Well, yes, I'd like to show first at some point, and I have no doubt that my little Paint will be able to hold his own against any aqha/arab/walkaloosa at that level some day.

But I only ride at most 3x a week during the school year, and he needs a lot of work to get a more uphill balance, especially at the canter. So this was our first year at training level, and we'll be staying here next year, too. A training level freestyle will just give me another option. I like that the test offers some options for more difficulty. I'll be happy to add 15m trots to my freestyle pattern; not sure yet if I'll be ready for that at the canter.

Actually, I'm already doing a training freestyle this year for fun at our Patrick Dempsey Center for Cancer Hope and Healing fundraiser show. In costume no less. I'll probably just polish it up for next year's shows.

I understand that we should aspire to move up, and I'm sure we all do. I'm just realistic about my horse and my time constraints, and love having the options of a music ride.

I think the above comment is very shaming.

All I know is that at any level, including training, my imagination and sense of my horse wants to move and be creative at the level we are showing at.

I am very musical, and any music I listen to I spend time imagining a free style for it. Creating and practicing a freestyle is very intuitive and puts me in a lovely connection with my horse with whome I have practiced so many ridgid and prescribed movements. I think it is important to at least try free style at every level to learn and to sense the movement of you and the horse together.

Its like taking ballet.

You can go to class and go through the regimin three times a week and really learn the muscle movements. Damn. If I hadn't learned "frappe", I couldn't do a 'double kick' on my horse today!!. so, good for you. then some of those classes will include "floor" where you learn to put those movements together with prescribed steps.

One day, you are going to want to dance a bit. You will want to take at lease 3.5 minutes of music and create a coreographed segment of dance based on what you have learned to date. This is basic, and required, and part of the learning process for dancing ballet, whether or not you ever go out on stage. Your dance teacher, however, should have a small presentation every year and one year you will put this together and dance it.

What is the difference? At training, you will show off your 20 meter circle very straight, very baalanced, very even. You will show your transitions, your, contact, your horse's particiaption in this basic presntation to show he is ready for 1st. I might dance showing basic movement showing I am getting ready to go "en pointe". Dancing, riding, with the freedom of a bit of creativity blended with my foundational skills is nothing to sneer at, and essential to help me understand how to turn the corner to my next level.
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/

Agree.

I actually enjoy watching TL tests because so many different breeds and sizes of horses are involved. The movements offer an interesting way to compare their ways of going, etc. But how many ways can you mix up 20m circles, a loop and w/free walk/t/stretchy trot/c? Might be fun to ride, but not so much to watch.

I don't find anything "shaming" about that comment, AK. You're free to be creative all you want, at any level you want. It doesn't mean I have to want to watch you.

PS -- No snob factor here. I'm a TL rider here. And likely to remain one for the foreseeable future.

AK :You should be schooling more than TL at home if you are showing IMO. If you wait then you can begin a level higher or two freestyle early at home so that way when you debut at that level you are 2 years in on that freestyle?

That is a great idea for any ammy to be overprepared once they get there, not attempting to make the TL area a place to stay and defeat new comers time and time again because you have that freestyle.

My own horses are not fancy but can learn the requirements same as a fancy horse and I think time is wasted training and schooling a freestyle in TL when you should be thinking about time and training on lateral, lengthenings, walk canter transitions.

I dont think it is good to encourage an ammy to stay in place meant for introducing the horse to obedience. How is professional TL horses going to help the sport?

Default I rode one 30 years ago

When they were first being done. We had a show, and it was probably recognized. There were two riders, my friend and myself. There were no other riders, and I don't believe there were any limitations on it. Hilda Guerney was the judge. I rode to a part of Beethovens 9th symphony, and Doris rode to 'The Voice' by The Moody Blues. She won. Whenever I hear that song, I always think of that show.
    It was at Hunter's Vale in Johnson Co Kansas in the 80's. They were baling hay in the field RIGHT next to the ring. [Different owner of the field of course.] It sucked if you were riding when the balers went by!
    Another killer of threads

Seriously, if I could think of one thing more boring than watching training level tests, it would be training level freestyles.