The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Total Hip Replacements and Jumping

I just received a pretty life-changing diagnosis; I have avascular necrosis of both of my femoral heads (stage 1 on the left and 2A on the right) from high dose IV steroids and years of chemotherapy. I turned 25 last week. I am going to need two total hip replacements in the nearish future. Could be 6 months, could be up to 10 years. I could potentially have it done as soon as November, but I have to go for a bone marrow biopsy next week to see if the blood disorder I have is the malignant form (a whole other story). If that's the case, I need to have a stem cell and bone marrow transplant first and the hips second. If it's the non malignant form, I have the choice between doing the hips right away or waiting provided I can stand the pain.

All that being said, who has experience with riding after total joint replacements. I've had a total reconstruction before (left foot/ankle) and that was a b!tch to say the least, but I went back to riding at the same level within 6 months. Replacements, as I understand it, are a bit different. I know the physical recovery time is shorter, but what is my riding going to be like in the long-term? These won't be the only set of artificial joints I'll need, either. I'll have to have the hips done again in the next 15-20 years and there's a good chance I'll develop AVN in my knees and ankles as well. I've always suspected I'd be bionic by the time I turned 50, I guess I'm just getting two and a half decades worth of a head start

So those of you with replacement experience, how long until you were back in the saddle? How much have you had to modify your riding, especially jumping? I have a HARD jumping hunter I do in the modified A/Os and was intending to start back in the regular A/Os this winter, a much flatter jumping eq. horse/practice horse for the A/Os and I've been on the hunt for a low A/O jumper since I retired my Ch/Ad horse. I'm really wondering if this is at all realistic for me anymore. Sigh.
    Last edited by Punkie; Mar. 11, 2013 at 01:07 AM.
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

no experience, but i want to say, i feel so bad for you!!! i pray that your surgeries go well and that you do not need a bone marrow transplant.
    i am only slightly bionic in that i have a big ole titanium rod hammered down my shin bone from a broken ankle. its not too bad, except it gives me shin splints when i try to put my heels down farther. my heels have become way to loose and the more i work on them, i get a big nasty shin splint.
    please take care and i wish you the best!

No advice here either. Just jingles that everything goes well for you and that you're back riding quickly!

no idea for riding, but my mom just had both of her hips replaced and basically, you always have to be pretty careful about um...spreading your legs apart. Making sure you do the initial physical therapy religiously and keeping the muscles and everything else in that area strong and fit definitely helps. However, I imagine with riding you would have to be really careful about riding horses that are particularly wide as I've heard popping the hip out of that joint is painful as all heck (my FIL did it while sitting on the toilet. EEPs!).

One of the perks of getting them both replaced (besides the obvious pain relief from having bone grinding on bone constantly) is that it made her slightly taller. Brightside?

Anyway, definitely sending jingles your way too. Sounds like you've got some serious health issues to deal with right now, which is never fun.

I had one hip replaced in 2008. I am quite a bit older than you, but I jump and show. I am more cautious than before the surgery, but I don't let it stop me from much. I have jumped 4' on my horse since and done 3'6" courses. He is somewhat green and I do the training on him myself.

I fell off over a jump in 2010. Something caught my horse's eye and we came down in the middle. I had enough time to twist around and land on my other side. Other than a bruised ego, I was fine.

I am better off when I ride as far as stiffness. If you are in pain, you will be amazed at the lack of pain afterwards. I didn't ride for 3 months after my surgery per my doctor's orders, but once I started riding, I came back pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Won For Fun View Post
    I had one hip replaced in 2008. I am quite a bit older than you, but I jump and show. I am more cautious than before the surgery, but I don't let it stop me from much. I have jumped 4' on my horse since and done 3'6" courses. He is somewhat green and I do the training on him myself.

I fell off over a jump in 2010. Something caught my horse's eye and we came down in the middle. I had enough time to twist around and land on my other side. Other than a bruised ego, I was fine.

I am better off when I ride as far as stiffness. If you are in pain, you will be amazed at the lack of pain afterwards. I didn't ride for 3 months after my surgery per my doctor's orders, but once I started riding, I came back pretty quickly.
    That is really encouraging!! Do you know which artificial joint they went with?
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

I had a hip replacement in 2010, best thing I ever did. Prior to surgery, the pain was intense and I wasn't able to ride comfortably.
    Surgery went well and I was on the horse eight weeks later. I wasn't able to do much until three months post op.
    You should be completely healed in a year. I ride everyday, jump and have even fallen off, without a problem.
    My new hip is so much better then the old one, it's great to be pain free!

Check out Bone Smart, a great place for info.

http://bonesmart.org/

You may want to think about an anterior approach hip replacement. They leave the muscle intact so there's less occurance of dislocation. However there are other dangers involved, like severing your femoral artery during surgery, but it may be worth the risk. The recovery time is significantly less. Like you'll be up and walking that day. Just something to ask your doc about
    What I lack in preparedness I make up for in enthusiasm

Quote Originally Posted by Anteup View Post
    You may want to think about an anterior approach hip replacement. They leave the muscle intact so there's less occurance of dislocation. However there are other dangers involved, like severing your femoral artery during surgery, but it may be worth the risk. The recovery time is significantly less. Like you'll be up and walking that day. Just something to ask your doc about
    I've never had a hip or anything replaced but that sounds... dangerous.

My grandmother has had both hips and both knees replaced (and one hip replaced twice!) and has always gotten around great (she was pretty young when she had the first hip replaced).

Best of luck to you and jingles for your health!
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

Had right hip joint replaced about 4 years ago, was 50, had always been tough on myself, rode, ran marathons, worked 12 hour days as pharmacist and was back working after 2 months and riding after 3 months. Ride young big babies, have come off several times on my right side but have so far never had a problem. Gave up the running because I wanted to be able to ride and work with my babies a long, long time. My surgeon said my left hip would give out way before the replacement and am starting to get some signs of this now, but so far it has been wonderful. Before could ride for hours but when I got off, could not lead my own horse without a cane.

I have had both hips replaced. Riding afterward was no problem. Go to the Equestrians with Disabilities forum. There is plenty of information there.

I have had both the posterior and the anterior approach. There is a world of difference in the recovery time and pain level. Anterior is light years better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not all ortho surgeons have been trained to do anterior. Search until you find one that does. I was lucky. My surgeon pioneered the approach and goes all over the country teaching other docs how to do it.

GOOD LUCK!!!! I'm sorry you have to deal with this.