The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default New Rider Tests Posted

The USEF has posted the new Rider Tests for Training, First and Second Levels, to be used starting in December.

Tests and a description of purpose are in the member-login section of the USEF website.

Anybody see them yet? Comments? (Besides the fact that the links are to the wrong level tests.)

So are these just for kicks? Required to move up levels? I glanced through them--the 2nd level test trot work is challenging IMHO, but definitely will serve the stated purpose. I'd LOVE to see these accurately scored and then used as qualifiers to advance levels. It might reduce the number of folks on horses who can't sit the trot riding PSG on schoolmasters happily collecting their 55%s...
    From now on, ponyfixer, i'll include foot note references.

Can someone post a link please?
    I went to the USEF site and can't find what the OP is talking about
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

The tests are changing again next year? I didn't realize this.

I like the rider tests generally. The question is if the equitations STANDARDS will be kept. Perhaps they will be used to have a 'medal class' as well (which existed until the 70s).
    I.D.E.A. yoda

Here is a link to the Second Level Rider Test. If you want to see Training and First, just change the name in the link:

https://www.usef.org/documents/disciplines/dressage/tests/2013SecondLevelRiderTest.pdf

I don't see this as a Rider test. It is basically the same as a Second Level test, because each and every movement is based on 'effect of the aids'; how the horse responds. The success of the test ride is dependent on how easy and well trained the horse is. A rider taking this test on an old fei schoolmaster will likely do better than a rider on a truly just ready for 2nd level horse.

I at the Training Level test where 'elastic' contact is a requirement. That is an overused (and misunderstood by many) term in dressage, and I believe that a horse has to be through and straight in order for the contact to be truly 'elastic'.

I think it looks fun! It's almost a degree of difficulty that would equate to a 2nd level test 4
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Default smurf's reply

Perhaps this is a way to offer a 4th test at each level, since they cut back to 3 tests per (lower) level in the last revision. I can tell you that for all that we have not mastered them, I am getting a bit bored with the TL tests after only a few shows. The TL Rider Test seems a bit more challenging than T3, and something I'd want to get good scores on before showing at First Level.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

This is a way to judge RIDER only (note the general impressions are ONLY rider) w/o looking at the gaits/etc. That said the gaits/impulsion/submission really show all that.

And training level horses are only required to 'accept the bit', not be 'on the bit', so they cannot really be 'through' per se.

And NOTE that there are .1 to .9 can be added...ie 7.3/6.2 (so how are the word translations of that???? )
    I.D.E.A. yoda

Quote Originally Posted by mimiwenk View Post
    The tests are changing again next year? I didn't realize this.
    The regular dressage tests aren't changing, they are just adding Rider Tests.

Are these going to be required before moving up the levels?

Can someone explain what "rider tests" are, and where /why they would be ridden.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I'm excited and i think they look like a fun new challenge and a great way to get additional feedback on how I can improve. I'll totally do them once my horse is show-ready!

cool!

http://www.usef.org/documents/ruleChanges/209-12.pdf
    http://www.usef.org/documents/ruleChanges/210-12.pdf
    http://www.usef.org/documents/ruleChanges/213-12.pdf

And while we are at it...check out the OTHER proposed rule changes....

Protective Head Gear - REQUIRED:
    http://www.usef.org/documents/ruleChanges/098-12.pdf

These are all proposed rule changes and will not be voted on until the 2013 Annual Meeting held in January.
    Heather
    Green Cove Springs, FL

Quote Originally Posted by rprincess73 View Post
    http://www.usef.org/documents/ruleChanges/209-12.pdf
    http://www.usef.org/documents/ruleChanges/210-12.pdf
    http://www.usef.org/documents/ruleChanges/213-12.pdf

And while we are at it...check out the OTHER proposed rule changes....

Protective Head Gear - REQUIRED:
    http://www.usef.org/documents/ruleChanges/098-12.pdf

These are all proposed rule changes and will not be voted on until the 2013 Annual Meeting held in January.
    Thanks.

But WHY are they not listed on the rule change page?
    http://www.usef.org/_IFrames/RuleBoo...spx?chapter=DR
    only lists 098 and 154.

How did YOU find them?

By the way, 098, about helmets at the upper level, was submitted by an indvidual, so I don't think it is very likely to pass without Dressage Committee endorsement.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Default First step

Looks like this will be the first step in implementing success in the rider test before allowing someone to move up.
    Theresa

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    Thanks.

But WHY are they not listed on the rule change page?

How did YOU find them?
    I first found the Rule Change page...and then noticed that they weren't there - so did a search from the USEF site, putting Proposed Rule Changes in the search engine and a whole lot of everything popped up. There are probably more...I didn't have time to go through each one.

As for them not being on the Rule Change Page - with the tests already published - this must have been a rule change request this past year. The Proposed Rule Change pdf's that I found show a date of 8/28/2012 and are asking for the documentation to be updated (i.e. collective marks, reason, etc.). I'll need to go through the search results tonight more thoroughly and see if I can find the proposed rule change for the actual tests.
    Heather
    Green Cove Springs, FL

Thanks
    Janet

Quote Originally Posted by ToN Farm View Post
    I don't see this as a Rider test. It is basically the same as a Second Level test, because each and every movement is based on 'effect of the aids'; how the horse responds. The success of the test ride is dependent on how easy and well trained the horse is. A rider taking this test on an old fei schoolmaster will likely do better than a rider on a truly just ready for 2nd level horse.
    That is true of ANY "rider" (aka "equitation") class.

In the Medal/Macly classes, it is the rider being judged, but you do not have much chance of placing well in a big class unless your horse is VERY experienced at 3'6" h/j courses.
    Janet