The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ft. Knox area?

We're going to be moving to the area in Feb. and I'd like to be able to keep Willow on base if at all possible. DH is working in Louisville and we've found a house in Brandenburg.

What does the horsey scene look like in that area? Any other good boarding barns that are reasonably priced? Has anybody kept horses on the base? I've asked around a little bit on FB and done google searches and the set up looks reasonable, but my concern is that nobody lives there to manage the barn.

TIA!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

That's a long commute for DH depending on where he works in Louisville.

There are boarding barns off base with BO's onsite.
    Once you get here, you could check them out.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

He'll be working at the Armed Forces Recruiting Center in the mall. Mapquest tells me about 30 minutes from the house but that doesn't factor in traffic.

I guess I was just trying to get a feel for the area. I love the DIY of the barn on base, I'd just like somebody around for the settling in period.
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"

Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    He'll be working at the Armed Forces Recruiting Center in the mall. Mapquest tells me about 30 minutes from the house but that doesn't factor in traffic.

I guess I was just trying to get a feel for the area. I love the DIY of the barn on base, I'd just like somebody around for the settling in period.
    Depends on which mall, LOL.
    If it's off south Dixie Hwy, that's about 30 minutes.
    And traffic can be awful, it's nick named Dixie Dieway for a reason, lol.

However, I like Dixie Hwy. It's easy peasy if you know how to drive in traffic.

I don't recall how many stalls they have, but there always seemed someone to be around.
    The MP dogs were close to the barn, last time I visited, so there are people nearby.

If you can, I would probably opt for housing on base to start with and then decide if and where you want to rent a house off base.
    You may even find a property with enough acreage to keep your horse at home.

The 2006 National Cavalry Competition was held at Ft. Knox. It was my first visit there. The Post facilities were pretty good overall. The stables were, to put it charitably, "rough." We were set up in a park area, next to the airfield. The "temporary" facilities there were even "rougher."

I've not been back since then, so I don't know what the stables are like now. KY has an extensive equine industry infrastructure. I'm sure there are multiple levels of choice available for equine boarding and care.

Good luck in your new assignment.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

The Jefferson Mall is what he told me.

I'm not sure if we have the option to live on base, since he's a recruiter I'm sure we'd be put on a waiting list. We've found the perfect house, anyways, about 15 min from base.

We're thinking about taking a long weekend to fly down and check things out, if he can get the leave time.

Dixie Dieway.... *gulp*... lol

I actually live about 10 minutes from the Jeff Mall.

My brother was at Fort Knox for an assignment for about 3 weeks. So he drove up and visited a few times while he was here. Took him about 40 minutes or so in decent traffic.

Don't really know any barns in the B-burg area. I feel that everything around me is pretty "rough" so I board a bit further east.

Jefferson Mall to Ft. Knox is about a 30 minute drive.

So he'd be taking Dixie "Dieway" and then Gene Snyder ( which we call Gene "Slider" in the winter).

I am letting you know what us locals call certain highways. Don't let it scare you off. We say it laughingly.

Snow removal in Jefferson County is incredible because we have a huge UPS hub.

Brandenburg is a lovely rural area, as is the stretch between there and Fort Knox.

Ottercreek Park (just outside of Ft. Knox) recently re-opened and they have some lovely horse trails.

Jefferson Memorial Forest is not too far and in the summertime it is perfect for trail rides as the temps in the woods are easily 20 degrees lower. Trailer parking and picknick areas included.

Another close one is Iriquois Park. The trail is only 3 miles, but they have a huge outdoor arena at the trailhead you can use.
    The Jefferson County Mounted Police keep their horses in a barn there.

There are a lot of trailride options in the area, as well as indoor arenas you pay a fee to use.

Ft. Knox only has a small outdoor arena.

Some years ago I had my horses east of Ft. Knox and was able to ride on their fire break. Awesome, awesome. But pssssst. Don't tell anyone.

My horses were literally bomb proofed.

I know you and your DH will enjoy the area and all the horsie stuff to do.

I just visited a friend last month that keeps three horses there. The barns themselves were "closed" on Sept 1st and the horses now have to live in their paddocks with run-ins. It is self-care and I'm very sad to see the condition the stabling and area have become from lack of funds.

Quote Originally Posted by Hattie View Post
    I just visited a friend last month that keeps three horses there. The barns themselves were "closed" on Sept 1st and the horses now have to live in their paddocks with run-ins. It is self-care and I'm very sad to see the condition the stabling and area have become from lack of funds.
    Army MWR has been getting out of the equine business for the past few years. The stables at Ft. Riley gave way to a new Commissary/Exchange complex. Ft. Benning recently sold off their stock (IIRC) and either are or soon will be closing. Very few Posts or Bases or Stations have stables anymore.

Of course the golf courses are quite well maintained, thank you very much.

G.

A friend of mine who had her horse stabled on base, later on found a boarding facility off base going towards Brandenburg. With indoor.

Once settled in, it shouldn't be too difficult to find other options.

That really stinks that it's going downhill. I see why it was only $55/month. Willow does well outside, but only in a large-ish group. I can't see her doing well in that situation by herself. It's not below her to take out a fence or two.

There are so many options in the area that it's almost overwhelming. Naturally, I don't mind going around visiting multiple barns .

Thank you so much, everybody, for the info!

We're from Northern VT, so I'm not too worried about snow. It's good to know about his commute though. It looks like Ft. Knox is the opposite way of Louisville, so if the on post barn isn't going to be an option for us, perhaps it would be better to look in between those two points.

I'm happy to be around such a horsey area. I always get along better with those folks. Not to mention the huge amount of stuff to do with DD. It will be fun to get out of the sticks for a year or two.

Start looking at Louisville Craigslist in the farm and garden section for boarding.

Don't get frustrated at the Louisville or east end barns running at $ 450 and up.

Out your way should be much more reasonable.

Selfcare can be had for $ 100+ a month - you buy all hay, feed and bedding.

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    Army MWR has been getting out of the equine business for the past few years. The stables at Ft. Riley gave way to a new Commissary/Exchange complex. Ft. Benning recently sold off their stock (IIRC) and either are or soon will be closing. Very few Posts or Bases or Stations have stables anymore.

Of course the golf courses are quite well maintained, thank you very much.

G.
    That stinks. Doesn't the army still house a ceremonial horse group from Ft. Riley? I hope that htey don't do away with Ft. Leavenworth's stables & arena, but with their hunt, maybe they won't.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Yay!!! I read your blog and totally love it! My hubby is ETSing soon and we're moving back to Lexington hopefully at the beginning of January. I have a friend who rides at Stone Place in Lville and loves it, but I'm not as familiar with the area as I am with Lex. Good luck!!!!

Unrelated question: how are you moving, and are you paying out of pocket for your horse?
    send some of their smart literate deer who can read road signs up here since ours are just run of the mill dumb ones who get splatted all over creation because they won't stay in the woods

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Mom View Post
    That stinks. Doesn't the army still house a ceremonial horse group from Ft. Riley? I hope that htey don't do away with Ft. Leavenworth's stables & arena, but with their hunt, maybe they won't.
    Ft. Riley, along with Forts Irwin, Huachuca, Carson, Hood, and Sill have ceremonial units (some are Active Duty, some are mixed with Reservists, Retirees, Veterans, and volunteers as members). The Marines have their Mounted Color Guard at Barstow. ALL are in serious danger if the the promised January auto-cuts come to pass.

We looked at Levenworth as an NCC site. It was not selected in this go-round (we're going to Colorado Springs next year to be hosted by Ft. Carson). For any individual post a lot depends on the commitment of the Commanding General to the horse detachments and equine activities in general. There is a rumor that new stables will be built at Riley; given the trend I'll believe it when I see it.

I hate to see the facilities go but I guess it's just a reflection of the broader equine world where contraction has been the norm for several years. Economics are certainly part of it, but so is culture. When many of us grew up in the '50s and '60s "oaters" were common fare on TV and in the movies. Aside from the occasional offering like "Seabiscuit" when was the last time you saw a regular, successful entertainment offering based upon an equine theme? Many of these early offerings were dreadful in terms of horsemanship and husbandry; the very few that show up today are even worse. There is no cultural impetus for a kid to look at the equestrian art as a focus for them. While there are a few who take it up their name is certainly not "Legion."

G.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Mom View Post
    Since 9/11 there is no more fox hunting on base or leaving from base at Fort Leavenworth. The hunt country is to the west of town and elsewhere.

often between a rock and hard place in Ky

I live in E-town just south of Ft. Knox, but I board my horse in Louisville. I can warn you who to stay clear of in E-town, but I don't know about much in the Brandenburg area. The stable on post is really not much or very good, not sure how often openings come available. I know a little barn near my friend in Rineyville just opened up and they have a smallish indoor. Not sure about cost or if they have any openings but I can ask. I think you'll like the area though. Brandenburg/E-town/Radcliff area is big but not too big and we are close enough to Louisville and Lexington to enjoy the major horsey events.
    ___._/> I don't suffer from insanity.. I enjoy every
    ____/ minute of it! Member stick horse art lovers
    ';;;;;;; clique
    //__\\<-- Don't feed the llama!

I'm so excited about the area! I have four barns on my radar right now...

Wild Rose Equestrain Center
    Misty Meadow Farm
    Bluegrass Stables
    and Blue Creek Farm

We still have five months, but I figure that it can't hurt to start putting feelers out now. I like to have things done.

Thanks Candle! I'm glad you like the blog! It's a fun hobby!

We're having the gov. move us, but hauling the essentials in a trailer (our bed/DD's crib/some clothes) behind the truck. DH will follow with DD and the cats. Dog and I ride wild and free . He'll have to stop with DD since the gov won't let him drive more than x hours a day since they pay his milage (and he doesn't know how to drive a truck/trailer). We're hoping to have a horse trailer by then, and once we get the house settled, I'll be driving back to pick up Willow and bring her to her new home. If we don't have a trailer, we'll just hire a commercial shipper. All her expenses will have to be paid out of our pocket though. I feel a bit sorry for the shipper that would have to deal with her. She's 'expressive'.

Quote Originally Posted by horse-loverz View Post
    I live in E-town just south of Ft. Knox, but I board my horse in Louisville. I can warn you who to stay clear of in E-town, but I don't know about much in the Brandenburg area. The stable on post is really not much or very good, not sure how often openings come available. I know a little barn near my friend in Rineyville just opened up and they have a smallish indoor. Not sure about cost or if they have any openings but I can ask. I think you'll like the area though. Brandenburg/E-town/Radcliff area is big but not too big and we are close enough to Louisville and Lexington to enjoy the major horsey events.
    That would be AWESOME! I'd really appreciate it if you don't mind asking?