The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Now THIS is Dancing With the Stars!

"No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

What is it about Friesians that brings out the Fakakta in people?

My husband still wants one "some day." However besides the grooming issues...I'm not thrilled about the idea of a Friesian convincing my husband to dress in tights and flowing capes.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post

My husband still wants one "some day." However besides the grooming issues...I'm not thrilled about the idea of a Friesian convincing my husband to dress in tights and flowing capes.
    LOL!!

Roach the mane and feathers, urge to dress up is gone!

It's for a show I bet, fuzzy beasties draw the crowds!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post

Yep, it's the hair.
    My 85 year old mother, who has never owned a horse in her life, would love to own a Friesian. She thinks they are the most beautiful horses in the world. She loves all that hair! I tell her, "For someone who never owned a horse, you sure don't start cheap!" She just laughs.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Quote Originally Posted by Chief2 View Post
    Yep, it's the hair.
    My 85 year old mother, who has never owned a horse in her life, would love to own a Friesian. She thinks they are the most beautiful horses in the world. She loves all that hair! I tell her, "For someone who never owned a horse, you sure don't start cheap!" She just laughs.
    Hahaha, I love that! I've decided that when I'm a little old lady and I can't actually get myself up into the saddle anymore that I'm going to buy a super furry Cob or a Friesian because I'll have an excuse to spend aaaaaaall day at the barn brushing

Quote Originally Posted by RedmondDressage View Post
    Hahaha, I love that! I've decided that when I'm a little old lady and I can't actually get myself up into the saddle anymore that I'm going to buy a super furry Cob or a Friesian because I'll have an excuse to spend aaaaaaall day at the barn brushing
    a cute Fell Pony like the Queen has.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I did not see any fairy dust in that picture.

Default Thank you Mike!

Hello Mike! My name is Sandra Beaulieu, I am the woman riding the Friesian in the photo that you posted. I just wanted to say thank you for admiring our skills. My best friend Lydia is an incredible rider and dancer, she has competed to Grand Prix and performs as a tribal bellydancer. I am a full time dressage professional (USDF Bronze & Silver Medalist as well as a USDF "L" Graduate) but my greatest passion in life is taking the difficult art of dressage and creating something beautiful that anyone can enjoy. I love my Friesian gelding, he inspires me every day! Please keep an eye out for more photos and you can see some videos on my website www.sandrabeaulieu.com. Thanks again! Have a great day!

Hi Sandra!

I like the attitude of taking it to something that everyone can enjoy! We all (I include myself) tend to get uptight about "this is what dressage is" when in reality, helping expose the masses to dressage, particularly dressage done well, in ways which make it easier for them to enjoy is a huge plus.

That said - we have a Friesian cross, and even with her mane short and feathers clipped she still has an air about her (and enough tail for 5 horses!) that she gets the same kind of oohs and aahs. Hilarious as I'd say she got the lesser talents from both sides of her breeding rather than the best...
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Hi Sandra! Thanks for checking in! How about telling us more about what you and your friend are doing in that remarkable photo?
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier