The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Vanishing Chestnuts and Ergots: Puzzle solved.

For some time, I have not needed to groom the chestnuts or ergots on my horses. Odd cause one of mine has very fast growing and hard to peel ergots - like hooks under his feathers. And it caught my eye cause I noticed little scabs on the now very thin chestnuts of my other horse.

Worrisome.

Wondered what the heck he was doing to them. Then I figured it out. All I can say is the horrible proof of cause is in the treatment as since the treatment there is no more scabbing and the chestnuts and ergots are growing gloriously again. OMG, for sure it must have annoyed the heck out of my boys. And the problems we could have had - I can't bare to think of the possibilities.

Though there is no film at eleven so to speak I am absolutely positive the problem was "nutrition" related. Just not the nutrition of my horses.

Drum roll please: Here is the cure for the vanishing chestnut/ergot(s):

http://www.pestmall.com/shops/www.pe...it-station.jpg

Probably should have used an alter - you think?
    from sunridge1:Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.it is going to be good until the last drop!Eleneswell, the open trail begged to be used. D Taylor

Yikes! You'd think one of the horses would have squished one of the culprits at some point. How could they have just stood there... !!

Wow that's interesting and super disgusting

Ewww ewww ewww!! And ewwww!
    "Imma snap youuuu! - with a shout out to Wildlifer

Well, one of Bird4416's horses chews his own off!!! While the farrier has his hoof on the stand, the horse will lean over and chew on the chestnuts until they're gone. Ew!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Wait, are you saying mice were EATING their chestnuts and ergots?!
    Quarry Rat

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

I've encountered this at two barns. Corona (the ointment, not the beer) applied to the chestnuts works. Mice must not like it. A barn cat also did wonders. It was only the horses in one area at the barn and the two obnoxious kicking and pacing ones weren't affected.

If you do a search on the BB you'll find posts on this but it's probably long enough ago that you'll need to use google.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    Well, one of Bird4416's horses chews his own off!!! While the farrier has his hoof on the stand, the horse will lean over and chew on the chestnuts until they're gone. Ew!
    Well, he's got no nails to bite.......And OP, I can't believe a horse would stand still long enough for a mouse to chew his chestnuts..........

Guessing the horse does not even notice the mouse chewing on its chestnuts.

I'm not sure why, but I think I'm going to be sick... That's just...sick! OMG I wonder if that's what happens to MY horse's chestnuts?! Gaaahhhh
    Quarry Rat

Quote Originally Posted by CFFarm View Post
    Well, he's got no nails to bite.......And OP, I can't believe a horse would stand still long enough for a mouse to chew his chestnuts..........
    I think they do it when the horses are lying down. Trust me, it's hard to mistake the little teeth marks. I'm not sure it's all mice. I have also heard it attributed to rats. One horse I rode at a different barn got the the heels of his hooves gnawed on. It looked sort of like he'd overreached, but not quite.
    The Evil Chem Prof

LOL... I knew as soon as I read the title of your post exactly what was happening to them. There have been threads on COTH over the years about such things. I second (or third) the EWWWW.
    Small ??? When I click on your link, all i get is a picture of what appears to be some sort of rodent trap? .
    "You can't blame other people. You can't always say what happened wasn't my fault, and you know what? Even if you have an excuse, shut up. "Bruce Davidson Sr.

The Evil Chem Prof

I knew I would not be alone in this. LOL

N E V E R seen anything like it!

These rodents never messed with the poo and can not get to the grain (metal barrels). No kittys - but plenty of snakes. I was not over run with them by any stretch. Funny thing is have been at barns where they would scurry all about and never encountered vanishing chestnuts! My guess is this group got attracted to them for some reason and kept going back for more.

I hope I have wiped this group off the face of the earth.

I agree they must be sleeping when this happens.

As to what class of rodent - they are not teeny tiny nor are they big bruisers. The bodies I have disposed of (4 so far) are grey and a max of 6 inches in length (including bulging genitalia).

And yes - there were telltale bite marks when I got in close to look. It was the scab that caught my attention.

UGH. The realization was awful.
    from sunridge1:Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.it is going to be good until the last drop!Eleneswell, the open trail begged to be used. D Taylor

Oh - forgot to add the picture is of a bait station. The poison bars are placed in on a stiff wire that prevents it from either falling out or being carried out. When the box is loaded then screwed shut there is little risk of the dogs getting into it but the rodents can easily get in and enjoy their last supper.

I had never heard or seen of such a thing!

You learn something new everyday.
    APPSOLUTE CHOCKLATE - Photo by Kathy Colman

I've seen this on the heels of horses before in damp weather. Puzzling at the time. Makes perfect sense now.

Related story: I once knew a school horse who lived in a rat infested barn, despite the owner's best efforts. We kept finding dead, squashed rats in his stall, outside the door, floating in his feed buckets. One night, as kids, we camped out in front of his stall, bundled well to prevent any direct rat contact. Rat entered stall, horse grabbed it BY THE TAIL and swung it in circles a few times, releasing it. Thump, into the stall wall. Dazed the rat fell to the ground practically motionless. Horse then proceeded to stomp rat to finish him off.

Horse was SO territorial in his stall, us kids felt like we took our life in our hands to retrieve him for lessons. Apparently his desire to be alone extended to the rodent population as well .

Loved that horse.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    My elderly and otherwise vice-free horse started doing that a few months ago, too. Not sure how he suddenly got the notion, but thankfully he eventually lost interest. Icky!
    --o0o--

OMG! GROSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I'm even more disgusted that I have mice in my barn...

I caught 2 on a glue trap the other day...a larger one and a tiny one. Hopefully if any other family remains they will soon find themselves stuck to a glue trap as well.

Disclaimer: I too hate to use the glue traps, but the little @#)$*! won't even attempt to eat my bait on the snap traps, and I don't want to poison because we have cats that eat dead mice. And, if its a matter of mice vs. no mice in my barn, I'll do what I have to do to get rid of the nasty things!
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."