The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Somewhere in the rain there will always be an abandoned dog that prevents you from being happy

This is typical of one of those doggy shows that extoll the virtues of the dog OVER and value of mankind.

This is an example of the foothold animal rights individuals have.

Do NOT call me a dog. I do not deserve such a high qualification as
    I am ONLY a human being

Sadly people fawn all over these internet shows and actually agree.

I am all FOR dogs but without me...they would starve ...

I board dogs for people who are able to make that choice...if it was left up to their dog..he would not be able to look me up in the yellow pages, nor would he know he needed to.

This "stuff" is now projected onto horses, cows, pigs, chickens.

It is not mean they need to be treated with cruelty. FAR FROM IT...as that would make them less serviceable or edible

But they are NOT MY equivalent.

I do not believe in a world dominated by animals without people...have you ever noticed, these self serving individuals never include THEMSELVES in that equation...just "others"...like you or me

This is akin to the environmental movement where ONLY the qualified environmentalist should be allowed to hike in the mountains as only they are able to have no impact camping.

Mother nature does seem to even things out...such as the grizzly bears dining on that couple who thought the bears respected them and they could trust them. Turns out the bears looked at the pup tent as a hot dog bun with the "dogs" inside...gruesome tape listening to them scream as they were eaten ALIVE...but those FACTS escape the rara's and their condo dwelling buddies.

Quote Originally Posted by GaitedGloryRider View Post
    On the other hand if little Johnny has to have his PBJ sandwich there is no reason mommy can't pack it for him. It won't hurt an allergic kid one bit to be in the same room with it, they just can't eat food that was prepared on the same table as it was. Those foods aren't banned from the schools..
    Actually, ALL products containing peanuts are banned from my kids' elementary. Since I don't want MY kid's lunch or snack to cause problems, they don't bring anything to school w/ peanuts, including the classic PBJ and snack bars that may contain peanuts. you'd be surprised, perhaps, at how many prepared "healthy" foods have peanuts...

I do consider it a matter of public health.

What you mean you don't aspire to be the person your dog thinks you are????

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    Somewhere in the rain there will always be an abandoned dog that prevents you from being happy

This is typical of one of those doggy shows that extoll the virtues of the dog OVER and value of mankind.

This is an example of the foothold animal rights individuals have.

Do NOT call me a dog. I do not deserve such a high qualification as
    I am ONLY a human being

Sadly people fawn all over these internet shows and actually agree.

I am all FOR dogs but without me...they would starve ...

I board dogs for people who are able to make that choice...if it was left up to their dog..he would not be able to look me up in the yellow pages, nor would he know he needed to.

This "stuff" is now projected onto horses, cows, pigs, chickens.

It is not mean they need to be treated with cruelty. FAR FROM IT...as that would make them less serviceable or edible

But they are NOT MY equivalent.

I do not believe in a world dominated by animals without people...have you ever noticed, these self serving individuals never include THEMSELVES in that equation...just "others"...like you or me

This is akin to the environmental movement where ONLY the qualified environmentalist should be allowed to hike in the mountains as only they are able to have no impact camping.

Mother nature does seem to even things out...such as the grizzly bears dining on that couple who thought the bears respected them and they could trust them. Turns out the bears looked at the pup tent as a hot dog bun with the "dogs" inside...gruesome tape listening to them scream as they were eaten ALIVE...but those FACTS escape the rara's and their condo dwelling buddies.

This is exactly the sort of thing that makes me worry so much less about these people.
    They really have no clue what they are talking about - talk to them for 5 minutes and you totally understand that.
    They cannot tell the difference between good behaviour and bad behaviour.
    I know which guy you are talking about - there's a movie out about him. He got rather cocky and relaxed around those bears and should have been long gone by then let alone have his girlfriend with him. He, his girlfriend and I think 2 bears were killed over that.

Fairfax:Mother nature does seem to even things out...such as the grizzly bears dining on that couple who thought the bears respected them and they could trust them. Turns out the bears looked at the pup tent as a hot dog bun with the "dogs" inside...gruesome tape listening to them scream as they were eaten ALIVE...but those FACTS escape the rara's and their condo dwelling buddies.

I always find it humorous that RARAs think/argue that we have enslaved our horses and dogs... I'm pretty sure if one watched the behavior of both horses, humans and dogs, one would come to the objective conclusion that the silly humans have been enslaved by the horses and dogs.

human: horse will be hungry at 4:30 and expecting his dinner, I must hurry home NOW.

human: it is pouring rain, I MUST go out and bring dobbin in from his run in shed so he has fresh hay and water and is out of the cold and rain RIGHT NOW.

human: I have to work 60 hours per week so dobbin can have the best care, including new shoes every 4 weeks and chiropractor visits every 6 weeks.

horse: oh look, here comes my human to feed me, care for me and give me a comfortable, predator free place for the rest of my life. YAWN. I wonder if I'll get some exercise today. I'm a bit bored w/ my hay.

dog: It's supper time NOW (backed up by glaring eyes). human sighs and gets food.

dog: It's time to go outside NOW (backed up by a whine and wiggly butt.) human sighs and lets dog outside for a piddle and to bark at a squirrel.

JUST who is the SLAVE of who?

Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    Please explain what you mean by anti-dog legislation being passed all over the country. I really don't know what you mean. If they were that good, puppy mills would have been shut down years ago.
    Examples of anti-dog legislation: eliminating hunting with hounds. That just passed in CA; England banned foxhunting with hounds years ago while agreeing that you could still poison, trap, gas, and shoot foxes. The ONLY thing banned was the hounds. So that wasn't about saving foxes at all, was it?

Mandatory Spay Neuter (MSN): many attempts made that ALL dogs must be spayed & neutered. ALL, in an effort to eliminate pets, n'est ce pas?

Limiting ownership of dogs. Not just the hoarder who wants 20 or 30, but the family household that wants 2 or 3.

Breed specific laws have already been mentioned, as has been the insurance companies' ever-growing list of breeds that if you have one, you will be denied homeowners insurance.

Other anti-dog legislation is disguised as "anti-tethering." We're not talking about dogs chained without water or shelter and left to die, we're talking about effectively eliminating pet ownership of people who don't have 6' fences completely surrounding their property and so put their dog on a tether while the homeowner rakes up their leaves.

Exactly!!

Quote Originally Posted by millerra View Post
    I always find it humorous that RARAs think/argue that we have enslaved our horses and dogs... I'm pretty sure if one watched the behavior of both horses, humans and dogs, one would come to the objective conclusion that the silly humans have been enslaved by the horses and dogs.

human: horse will be hungry at 4:30 and expecting his dinner, I must hurry home NOW.

human: it is pouring rain, I MUST go out and bring dobbin in from his run in shed so he has fresh hay and water and is out of the cold and rain RIGHT NOW.

human: I have to work 60 hours per week so dobbin can have the best care, including new shoes every 4 weeks and chiropractor visits every 6 weeks.

horse: oh look, here comes my human to feed me, care for me and give me a comfortable, predator free place for the rest of my life. YAWN. I wonder if I'll get some exercise today. I'm a bit bored w/ my hay.

dog: It's supper time NOW (backed up by glaring eyes). human sighs and gets food.

dog: It's time to go outside NOW (backed up by a whine and wiggly butt.) human sighs and lets dog outside for a piddle and to bark at a squirrel.

JUST who is the SLAVE of who?

What are they worried about the hounds??
    I was under the impression that you could still hunt but it was now a drag hunt?

Quote Originally Posted by Anne FS View Post
    Examples of anti-dog legislation: eliminating hunting with hounds. That just passed in CA; England banned foxhunting with hounds years ago while agreeing that you could still poison, trap, gas, and shoot foxes. The ONLY thing banned was the hounds. So that wasn't about saving foxes at all, was it?

Mandatory Spay Neuter (MSN): many attempts made that ALL dogs must be spayed & neutered. ALL, in an effort to eliminate pets, n'est ce pas?
    Isnt this the same with cats as well??
    There are still so many dogs and cats and some people think it's against their "religion" to spay or neuter the dog or cat.

Limiting ownership of dogs. Not just the hoarder who wants 20 or 30, but the family household that wants 2 or 3.

Breed specific laws have already been mentioned, as has been the insurance companies' ever-growing list of breeds that if you have one, you will be denied homeowners insurance.

Other anti-dog legislation is disguised as "anti-tethering." We're not talking about dogs chained without water or shelter and left to die, we're talking about effectively eliminating pet ownership of people who don't have 6' fences completely surrounding their property and so put their dog on a tether while the homeowner rakes up their leaves.

Schools have stated they would like to have a a rooom for these children with allergies to dine in..it is the parents who say that is unfair to their child as he/she can't eat with their friends.

So...inconvenience the whole school and all other parents so little Johnny/Dottie will not lose their self worth.

Is it any wonder we have idiots believing that horses freed from carriage duties will run free in pastures that are always green.

Many Vegans will demand that ALL restaurants cease serving meat products as they believe they should be able to enter any establishment and "not be offended" by the stench of meat.

Sadly, the livestock industry kept reassuring itself..these were only a few kooks and they ignored their "baby steps" towards outlawing livestock.

NOW we have a major problem and producers and owners are just starting to understand how far their rights have been eroded.

CA 1221 eliminates the hunting of bears & bobcats with hounds. So it will be eliminated animal by animal until none are left you can hunt with hounds.

You can still drag hunt? Do you know what a drag hunt is? It's hunting a fake scent laid out on a specific path, it's not actually hunting an animal.

Yes I know what a drag hunt is.
    Isn't one of the reasons they stopped using hounds to hunt
    the bears, bobcats, and mountain lions because they felt it would
    be an unfair advantage??
    If I remember rightly it was also a concern because these days all the above tend to be found in more populated areas?

CA 1221 eliminates the hunting of bears & bobcats with hounds. So it will be eliminated animal by animal until none are left you can hunt with hounds.

You can still drag hunt? Do you know what a drag hunt is? It's hunting a fake scent laid out on a specific path, it's not actually hunting an animal.

Quote Originally Posted by JGHIRETIRE View Post
    Isn't one of the reasons they stopped using hounds to hunt the bears, bobcats, and mountain lions because they felt it would be an unfair advantage??
    You just made my point about how this anti-dog legislation works.

The "unfair advantage" point. That's what was said in England about foxhunting with hounds. It's an "unfair advantage." Yet it is perfectly legal to flush out foxes with dogs and then shoot them. (A gun's not unfair advantage?) It's perfectly legal to block egress from their dens underground so they can't get out and then to pump poison gas into the dens to kill them that way. (Talk about unfair advantage!)

But ahhh, using a DOG is unfair.

So it's not about the foxes or the bobcats or the bears at all. It's about eliminating the dogs.

I don't disagree with you - I get it. I have a German Shepherd - can you say Insurance?
    The sad thing is the average person has a really bad image of of someone out hunting with dogs or for that matter hunters in general.
    I believe we had this same exact thing come up in Washington a few years ago - if I remember rightly the authorities were the only ones that were allowed to hunt with dogs. Said Bear, cougar, or Bobcat. Only because they have become a problem to the people.
    In fact the state has a few Bear dogs - The breed escapes me at the moment.

You just made my point about how this anti-dog legislation works.

The "unfair advantage" point. That's what was said in England about foxhunting with hounds. It's an "unfair advantage." Yet it is perfectly legal to flush out foxes with dogs and then shoot them. (A gun's not unfair advantage?) It's perfectly legal to block egress from their dens underground so they can't get out and then to pump poison gas into the dens to kill them that way. (Talk about unfair advantage!)

But ahhh, using a DOG is unfair.

So it's not about the foxes or the bobcats or the bears at all. It's about eliminating the dogs.

The sad thing is the average person has a really bad image of of someone out hunting with dogs or for that matter hunters in general.
    Exactly! It's the successful creation of that belief that is untrue and plays right into the hands of anti-animal people.

Nice to meet another GSD person! The Hartford Insurance company does not discriminate against them so they get my money.

We have Farmer's
    haven't had an issue.
    Yes the insurance company goes before the dog does.

Exactly! It's the successful creation of that belief that is untrue and plays right into the hands of anti-animal people.

Nice to meet another GSD person! The Hartford Insurance company does not discriminate against them so they get my money.

I don't disagree with you - I get it. I have a German Shepherd - can you say Insurance?
    I believe we had this same exact thing come up in Washington a few years ago - if I remember rightly the authorities were the only ones that were allowed to hunt with dogs. Said Bear, cougar, or Bobcat. Only because they have become a problem to the people.
    In fact the state has a few Bear dogs - The breed escapes me at the moment.
    Karelian Bear Dogs.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Yes!!![

QUOTE=Lynnwood;6597520]Karelian Bear Dogs.[/QUOTE]

They don't hunt bears with "real" bear dogs. They use scent hounds with zero self protection skills.

Now they wanted to hunt wolves in my state with these same dogs. There has been 42 bears hounds (not pets, or bird dogs) killed by wolves since 1984, at $2000 paid to the owner by MY tax dollars.

Thank goodness for the animal welfare groups that sued and stopped that nonsense.

Wait, if you choose to hunt bears with your (non-bear or bear, whatever) dogs, why would taxpayers be on the hook if the bear kills your dog?

Or is that when a bear kills a random pet dog being walked, not a dog that's used to hunt the bear?

No it's the wolves that kill the bear dogs. They get paid $2000 for any dog killed by a wolf while hunting bear. Doesn't matter if it's free dog off of CL or a pedigreed Blue Tick/Plott/Red Bone. Then they wanted to hunt the wolves with the bear dogs. They hunt everything with the same dogs, bobcat, coyote, raccoon. But they are not BEAR dogs. They are coon hounds.