The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    If people cannot raise and train responsible canine citizens of any breed, what else can a city do?
    Punish the deed, not the breed.

The city I mention is not a dog-fighting mecca, it's a very affluent suburb of Detroit. This ruling and law was not in response to a rash of pit-related injuries. It's the result of pearl-clutchers, plain and simple. That, and an underlying fear of "who" owns pits.

Automatic seizure without any incidence? Then grab up all those jack russells while you're at it, because I've had more of those stinkers sinking their teeth into my ankle or grabbing onto my pantleg.
    Proud Member of the League of Weenie Eventers
    Proud Member of the Courageous Weenie Eventers Clique

Pearl clutchers???? Excelllent term!!!!

[
    Quote Originally Posted by CarrieK View Post

The city I mention is not a dog-fighting mecca, it's a very affluent suburb of Detroit. This ruling and law was not in response to a rash of pit-related injuries. It's the result of pearl-clutchers, plain and simple. That, and an underlying fear of "who" owns pits.

Automatic seizure without any incidence? Then grab up all those jack russells while you're at it, because I've had more of those stinkers sinking their teeth into my ankle or grabbing onto my pantleg.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytbs View Post
    A friend of mine (Canadian) moved back to Canada after living in the U.S. for some time.
    He trailered his horse, which he had raised from being a foal, to the border and Canadian Customs charged him with a $2,500 import tax. A horse that was a back yard bred colored grade horse.

Yup, he had to come up with the money somehow in order to continue his move back to Canada.

So 6% tax on what?
    Who determind that horse's value - since really, it had no value,
    All goods and services are subject to a 5% GST tax. Horses are a problem for a couple of reasons. One gal imported, through a broker, a warm blood into LA and then up to Vancouver. Declared value $80,000 which she did pay GST on. A year later it came to their attention, via an article in a publication, that she had paid $800,000.00

They are very thorough...when I imported the stallion they did an analysis of over 300 horses (ASB stallions) on Dreamhorse, Horse Topia etc. I had my receipts which they did NOT believe..they called the owner (seller), her vet etc. They FINALLY, after SIX HOURS agreed the price was correct.

It is difficult to determine value however they have started to learn that horses are CHEAP in the U.S.A. Also, a non registered, pet horse they would acknowledge would not be worth much as they are now aware how cheap the slaughter horses are brought into Canada.

There is no IMPORT tax...only GST. I expect they were charging him on an American built horse trailer AND the horse and maybe other things. A non descript horse would just not appraise out at $50,000.

I pay GST on dewormer when I import it. Same with Horse blankets from Scheniders...or equipment from World.

Quote Originally Posted by JGHIRETIRE View Post
    Pearl clutchers???? Excelllent term!!!!

[
    Who votes for this to be the new COTH official name for RARA's?
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that to be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by DottieHQ View Post
    You're just jealous because you lack my extensive koalafications.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytbs View Post
    A friend of mine (Canadian) moved back to Canada after living in the U.S. for some time.
    He trailered his horse, which he had raised from being a foal, to the border and Canadian Customs charged him with a $2,500 import tax. A horse that was a back yard bred colored grade horse.

Yup, he had to come up with the money somehow in order to continue his move back to Canada.

So 6% tax on what?
    Who determind that horse's value - since really, it had no value,
    There is no import tax. The GST is 5% unless you bring the horse into a province which participates in the HST, like Ontario. The HST is then 13% of the value of the horse and anything else being imported.

This is the same tax which would be paid if you bought the horse within the province. It is a sales tax, not an import tax. The border personnel will determine a value for the horse and it is up to you to prove them wrong if you disagree. They do not always believe a bill of sale either as they say they might be false.

ROFLMAO - it's perfect - I can so picture it. A bunch of old ladies with their pearls.

Quote Originally Posted by Niennor View Post

OK. GST.

Got it.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

That's the one - I'm sharing it on FB

Quote Originally Posted by Niennor View Post
    Not the same thing:

1. pearl clutcher
    An uptight person, usually but not always female, usually but not always of conservative mores, who reacts with shock, feigned or otherwise, at other people's violations of decorum, propriety, morality, and so forth.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...arl%20clutcher

Animal rights activists, whose ultimate goal is the elimination of all human uses of animals, have evolved into a powerful—and sometimes even terrifying— fringe movement. Animal welfare supporters seek to ensure that livestock, pets, and other animals are treated humanely. Animal rights activists, on the other hand, seek to give animals legal “personhood” and remove them from our dinner plates, clothing aisles and pet shops.

http://www.consumerfreedom.com/issues/animal-rights/
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Proud Member of the League of Weenie Eventers
    Proud Member of the Courageous Weenie Eventers Clique

Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

"Punish the deed, not the breed."

This would be a fine, noble, and rational sentiment if breed characteristics were not inherited. But they are. A "breed" is a breed precisely because certain physical and temperamental characteristics are inherited.

Did you look at the CDC list? That's not an irrational response; it's a gathering of observable and verifiable data. It's not a "knee jerk" reaction but a very rational presentation of fact. Is an action taken based upon such fact "irrational?" By either a governmental unit or an insurance company? I think not.

Lawyers often say that "every dog is entitled to one, free bite." Like may aphorisms it has its limits, but the meaning is that until you actually have an event you don't know that you're going to have an event. Reality should govern public policy, not fear or loathing. But once you have that incident, the "free bite," now you have a basis upon which to explore further and act. And the "free bite" does not have to be in your back yard, it can be far away and still be an "object lesson."

I'm not a fan of the mania to "ban" stuff and/or and impose "zero tolerance" policies (which to me equate to "zero thinking policies"). But when you get a clear pattern of actions (in this case bites) then there is a clear basis for action.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Grosse Point Woods? Sheesh. Indeed, the haven of wealthy pearl-clutchers. (For people who only know "Detroit", it's got some staggeringly wealthy suburbs up that way. Not a judgement, my aunt and uncle live in GP Farms, just saying it's REALLY not a place where you see thugs with fighting dogs meeting in the backyard.)

Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    Not the same thing:

1. pearl clutcher
    An uptight person, usually but not always female, usually but not always of conservative mores, who reacts with shock, feigned or otherwise, at other people's violations of decorum, propriety, morality, and so forth.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...arl%20clutcher

Animal rights activists, whose ultimate goal is the elimination of all human uses of animals, have evolved into a powerful—and sometimes even terrifying— fringe movement. Animal welfare supporters seek to ensure that livestock, pets, and other animals are treated humanely. Animal rights activists, on the other hand, seek to give animals legal “personhood” and remove them from our dinner plates, clothing aisles and pet shops.

http://www.consumerfreedom.com/issues/animal-rights/
    you're totally missing the snark here, aren't you?

Can RARAs clutch pearls? Pearls are made by/from animals. Isn't it violating the oysters rights to take their pearls?

Or do the RARAs only clutch synthetic pearls?

Just wondering...

Bluey is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by millerra View Post
    Can RARAs clutch pearls? Pearls are made by/from animals. Isn't it violating the oysters rights to take their pearls?

Just wondering...
    I think that animal rights extremists are too busy watching the basement stairs, to be sure no tin foil hat wearers get out and have not noticed yet that there are none there, plus their bottoms have caught on fire!

Very soon, they will notice their carrot and cow costumes are burning and be too pressed putting real fires out for any kind of pearl clutching over their current causes of the moment.

Seriously, it won't be any more a hanging offense to question the unquestionable, holier than thou, self sainted animal extremists and their followers on their high horses, claiming the high moral ground.
    I say, about time.
    If we want to keep our rights to own and use animals, someone had to speak up where they are heard, like this article on the OP.

Hmmmmmmm yep you have a point - must be synthetic.
    On the other hand it is an irritant to the oyster so wouldn't that be a good thing to relieve the oyster of the irritation???

Quote Originally Posted by millerra View Post

Just wondering...

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    United Horsement...they are very busy. I receive information dialy.
    Of course you do. It makes sense that you'd feel right at home with your fellow compatriots like Devorah, Randy J., Dave D. and Wallis.