The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytbs View Post
    So how is that any different from the way horses are treated in the slaughter pipeline, except that their trips are 20 hours and more.
    And, we are talking 120,000 horses annually who are potentially exposed to that kind of cruel treatment.

For you to pick and choose your battles against the abuse based on whether it's related to a Humane Society/Rescue or the kill buyers just shows us you are made of the same wood as your pro slaughter buddies here on COTH.
    Hope you don't get eye strain...them eyes have bin rollin for the past few posts.

I am glad you recognize that a 20 hour trip is terrible. I agree..I know you will therefore support me on the reopening of LOCAL (within four hours) equine slaughter plants.

Y'all figure anytime a horse is run through a chute that is abuse. Anytime it is grouped with other horses (not BFF)..then abuse...any time it is loaded...abuse...unloaded...abuse...

I would think a caring person such as you present yourself to be..would want those 120,000 at risk horses to at least arrive at their destination after a short drive/.

I think most of us have already agreed that we would like to see the smaller local abbatoir - that has not been good enough - you still want to paint us as pearl clutching RARA's.
    Therefore we tend to cover our ears and go LALALALALA LALALA LA when you speak. If you weren't so insulting we would probably listen to you.

You live in Canada don't you??
    How the heck does that help the US??

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    Hope you don't get eye strain...them eyes have bin rollin for the past few posts.

I am glad you recognize that a 20 hour trip is terrible. I agree..I know you will therefore support me on the reopening of LOCAL (within four hours) equine slaughter plants.

Y'all figure anytime a horse is run through a chute that is abuse. Anytime it is grouped with other horses (not BFF)..then abuse...any time it is loaded...abuse...unloaded...abuse...

I would think a caring person such as you present yourself to be..would want those 120,000 at risk horses to at least arrive at their destination after a short drive/.

NORTH SALEM, N.Y.—Summer Pasquantonio, a 10-year-old competitive horseback rider, was focused as she warmed up for her class on a recent Sunday. When it was her turn, she confidently picked up her canter and turned toward the jump in the center of the ring, gaining momentum and clearing it effortlessly.

Her pony was nowhere in sight.

Ms. Pasquantonio was competing in a "horseless horse show," an event that allows two-legged participants to gallop over a course of miniature jumps, imitating the 1,000-pound animals and top riders they idolize.

"I jump higher on my feet than on my pony," Ms. Pasquantonio said at the American Gold Cup Horse Show, held in North Salem, N.Y. She nailed each landing in bright green socks.

For the complete story go to:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...343811242.html

NORTH SALEM, N.Y.—Summer Pasquantonio, a 10-year-old competitive horseback rider, was focused as she warmed up for her class on a recent Sunday. When it was her turn, she confidently picked up her canter and turned toward the jump in the center of the ring, gaining momentum and clearing it effortlessly.

Ms. Pasquantonio was competing in a "horseless horse show," an event that allows two-legged participants to gallop over a course of miniature jumps, imitating the 1,000-pound animals and top riders they idolize.

"I jump higher on my feet than on my pony," Ms. Pasquantonio said at the American Gold Cup Horse Show, held in North Salem, N.Y. She nailed each landing in bright green socks.

I think kids have been doing that for years...and they've never even heard of ARA's.

Wow; That was quick -- Mindy must have called you on the Bat-phone hotline with this SHOCKING story.

Quote Originally Posted by Abercrombie View Post
    Wow; That was quick -- Mindy must have called you on the Bat-phone hotline with this SHOCKING story.
    The Horse Help Line

We all played horses as kids. This movement has spread to 21 countries and I am hoping it will garner attention AND acquisition of horses. Great to see people away from their computers and actually doing something.

The more interested the fewer to be involved with.

Has to be a double edged sword for the RARA's...they DO want horseless horseshows however they also do not want people to acquire horses for use.

Thumbs up Exactly right Lynwood!

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnwood View Post
    This in spades. It is about control. They start with small groups and pick them off ie the Carriage horses in order to gain political and public footholds.

No matter how many are fooled into believing they about animal welfare they are truly about animal abolition.

I also do NOT understand their constant need to humanize animals. Why can't animals be animals and humans be humans.
    http://www.ranchosantafereview.com/2...mplex-animals/
    Someone who gets it! These people could care less about the animals! It is all about Control! Scary bunches!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Bluey is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    Someone who gets it! These people could care less about the animals! It is all about Control! Scary bunches!
    You have that right.
    Those are the kind of people that wish the world didn't have humans, so animals would be free and safe to do whatever animals are supposed to do.

I think that those people missed the lessons of what animals do when they do what animals do.
    For animals, it is truly a dog eat dog world out there.

This world is here now, will be gone in a blink of an eye as far as cosmic time goes.
    You know, it won't matter to anyone if there were animals, including humans in it or not or what they did while they were here.

As a human species, we really should see that we do what we do while here well and do it sensibly.
    To quit owning, breeding and using animals, as the natural, renewable resource they are in this world, that would be utterly senseless.
    To wish humans were, poof, gone, so animals were not used, that is beyond worlds senseless.

We are in trouble when those kinds of crazy people become in charge, as some are trying to do today.
    Read the OP article again and similar others to see the extremes they go to do so.

I was just told he filed for bankruptcy
    This is pretty common; and is the "rest of the story" when it comes to AR endorsed farms.

People buy a few acres and decide to "get into farming" which is great because the country needs more farmers.

But they end up with what we call the "300$ tomato". Or, they know nothing about agriculture but get deep into debt with equipment and whatnot - only to bankrupt themselves pretty quickly.

Fast forward a couple of years and they're usually bankrupt or have just shut down their operation.

Farming is a business. It can also be a calling and lifestyle. But it is a business and has to be run like one.

AR groups like HSUS like to pimp these types of farms; and to be fair many of them are quite successful. I've seen them - though none of them are in any way affiliated with HSUS. (quite the opposite)

But ideology driven farms are likely to be failures. The HSUS endorsement comes at a very high prices - their endorsement and "certification" is a source of revenue to HSUS. That's its primary purpose.

Keep that in mind when shopping for meat or produce. There is nothing superior about them.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    I DON'T KNOW NUTHIN' ABOUT BIRTHIN' NO BABIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

(aw come on you knew that was coming.)
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that to be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by DottieHQ View Post
    You're just jealous because you lack my extensive koalafications.

And obviously you have not done any research on how the slaughter pipeline worked before the three U.S. plants closed.

Let me give you a headstart (not that you will actually look at the factual documentation):

All KY KB's shipped their horses to Texas, while Cavel, IL was much closer.

LeRoy Baker (OH) shipped his loads to Texas, while Cavel, IL was a very short trip.

Joe Simon (MN) shipped his loads to Texas and Mexico, while he is sitting next to Canada.

There are plenty more examples out there for you to research, which I am sure you will not.

Free enterprise and all, no-one could/can force a KB to ship to the closest plant.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Don't know if it was closer than Texas and Mexico, but a group from N. Calif routinely bypassed Alberta and instead opted for Saskatchewan, where they were comped to free motel rooms and breakfast, and I believe they hauled up there at least several times a month.

I am sure both sides can talk about observed horror stories in both the rescue and slaughter pipelines... but for all the horror's imposed at the auction houses and rescue sites, where the ---- is the owner responsiblity?

WHO put the blind mare at the auction site?

WHO put the horses in need of rescue?

We seem to always be blaming the end point or the beginning point (breeders) and RARELY the person who is directly responsible for putting the animals at risk for abuse in the first place.

I am not anti-slaughter but ONLY because I do not consider that I have the right to tell someone else to do w/ their animals. BUT those who put their animals in the pipeline (auction house), need to accept the fact, to OWN it, that those who work there DO NOT care about the animals. And NO, your horse will not have a pleasant end. Suck it up and shoulder your responsibility that you had your horse killed and likely had stressful route to its final end.

Meat/kill buyers are only in business because people send their horses to them (directly or indirectly).

Original Poster

Just remember what this thread is all about, animal rights extremist groups and their push to eventually eliminate any uses of any animals by humans, including horses.
    All the talk of slaughter is just a diversion from that, we already have other slaughter threads where all that has been questioned and answered plenty.

Here is an excerpt of what this thread is all about and why, unless we are ourselves animal rights extremist or follow them, if we know what they are about or not, we should become better informed:

---"The ultimate dream for animal rights advocates would be something like the application of the 14th Amendment's equal protection to animals as well as humans. Such a ruling might ban the rearing of domesticated animals for meat altogether. And some major thinkers in the field -- most famously Steve Wise of the Nonhuman Rights Project -- are actively pursuing it.

"Right now, it's really easy to determine who has the capacity to have a right," he explained. "You look at the species. If you're human, you have rights. If you're not, you don't. What we're arguing is that species is completely arbitrary. There are many nonhuman animals that have really serious cognitive complexity. And we think that cognitive complexity alone is a sufficient condition to make some animals legal persons.""---

For those that keep insisting animal rights extremists groups are not after our rights to have horses, well, there is proof they really, after all, are after eliminating all uses of animals, as so many of us have been trying to point to all along.
    That's what you posted in the OP.
    Linking to an OPINION published in the Huff. An OPINION - not proof.

It wasn't a bad write up at all, but of course you only take away from it, what suits your agenda.

RARAs

So busy fighting for "animal rights" they ignore human rights...

[just trying to stay on topic]

And I personally feel that RARAs actually hate animals (my own opinion!) and only are animal "lovers" in disguise.

Original Poster

It wasn't a bad write up at all, but of course you only take away from it, what suits your agenda.
    Wrong, very wrong.

It is not I who has any agenda, but who is having to defend that we have a right to own and use animals, as humans have done for thousands of years, as humans still do today, as the natural, renewable resource animals are in this world for us.

We are defending our rights from animal rights extremists groups and their defenders here.
    THOSE are the ones here with an agenda.

Having an AR activist on record as saying animals should receive 14th Amendment protections is pretty damning.

Read up on the 14th Amendment.

I don't always agree with Bluey. But in this case Bluey is spot on.

The goal of the animal rights movement is the abolition of ALL use of animals. As pets, food, entertainment. Extending 14th Amendment protections to nonhumans would accomplish that.

I don't see how y'all can't understand how significant that statement is. That and the fact that step by step, little by little, they're working towards that goal. You're being nibbled to death by ducks.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    The goal of the animal rights movement is the abolition of ALL use of animals. As pets, food, entertainment. Extending 14th Amendment protections to nonhumans would accomplish that.
    I understand that, and certainly so does everyone else.

However, that is not a reason for myself and others to stop fighting for true animal welfare.

I will not stand by and ignore or condone animal cruelty, because of some RARA agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by millerra View Post
    RARAs

So busy fighting for "animal rights" they ignore human rights...

[just trying to stay on topic]

And I personally feel that RARAs actually hate animals (my own opinion!) and only are animal "lovers" in disguise.
    It's been my observation that many people who profess to love animals are being deceptive. They don't "love animals." They are "in love with animals." They love an ideal in their own mind's eye of what an animal ought to be. They don't particularly care for real animals that smell, fart, piss, and shit. Or bite, kick, and scratch. Or breed in public.

The "species" distinction that currently determines the existence of rights is not arbitrary. It's based on rational observation and categorization. Put another way, being a "speciesist" is not being a "racist."

G.

If, by any act, error, or omission, I have, intentionally or unintentionally, displayed any breedist, disciplinist, sexist, racist, culturalist, nationalist, regionalist, localist, ageist, lookist, ableist, sizeist, speciesist, intellectualist, socioeconomicist, ethnocentrist, phallocentrist, heteropatriarchalist, or other violation of the rules of political correctness, known or unknown, I am not sorry and I encourage you to get over it.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão