The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425

Hmmmm...so selling 4 skinny old mares at auction would result in enough money to feed 100 others? Boy if that were the case I could cull one and feed the remainder for the rest of their lives. I love it when the math works to my advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by sunridge1 View Post
    Hmmmm...so selling 4 skinny old mares at auction would result in enough money to feed 100 others? Boy if that were the case I could cull one and feed the remainder for the rest of their lives. I love it when the math works to my advantage.
    Yup.
    And apparently not just feed them that year, but up to 5 yrs later..

I will 'splain" it to you

He would cull his herd...get rid of old horses or those that were non productive. Some would go to horse buyers..and of course...some to kill buyers.

After he was charged with selling OLD horses that were not in good shape (and forget all that rescue pr that ALL old horses can be kept in great condition). I know different as I have kept many old QH's, TB's and Arabs..some do well on specialty feeds, special programs and some..no matter what you put into them can not gain a pound.

If they are bright and happy and healthy BUT they are thin...some of us keep them "until they tell us it is time"...other breeders/owners....put them down when they fail rather than spend more money on them.

A very famous TB breeder who was in her 70's had the HS called on her (they arrived with police) and they attemped to seize her seven TB's because they were thin. It was a warm spring day and she had taken their blankets off in the pasture (they went in at nights) so they could roll and itch.

The HS IMMEDIATELY called to seize the horses. Good thing this lady not only was able to get a hold of her lawyer but also her vet who arrived and was pissed. He had all of those mares under his care. HS DEMANDED that he immediately euthanize all of them as they did NOT LOOK GOOD....damn the fact they could flat their tails and trot around the pasture.

Of course they were forced to withdraw when the lawyer arrived...

Ages of the horses...32-37.

We have been conned into believing that ANY horse can be kept FAT or at the very least..a good covering over the ribs. It there is nothing medically wrong with the horse...why should it be put down because it doesn't look good.

The vet was so angry he did make a comment that most rescue individuals and HS tend to be over weight..therefore any animal not reflecting THEIR ideal is skinny. (food for thought in the culture of obesity today)

No way is this defending Axel or Dale Huber. They did receive their just dues.

The money didn't feed all 100 Mary...it did however go towards feed according to the court documents. Point was he used the money to go to the feed and had done so for over 10 years.

This statement from Mr. Tom Persechino, AQHA executive director of competition and breed integrity says it all, "We are living in a very different time where social media, technology and people's unfamiliarity with the horse industry constantly puts us in a defensive mode. It's never been a goal to punish but to bring about change and protect our horse and our industry before someone else decides what is right and what isn't."

http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=20636

New AQHA Equipment Rules to Ensure Horse Welfare

www.thehorse.com

The AQHA Animal Welfare Commission recommended the rules to ensure horse welfare at competitions.......