The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Another rescue bites the dust

I saw a photo album on FB yesterday that has my head spinning.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/11618...0176979&type=1

I don't know who took these pictures.
    Apparently the Florida Draft Horse Rescue officially closed this summer.

BUT they still have a bunch of horses there and AC is NOT doing anything about the situation.

Any Florida peeps have the inside scoop on what is going on?

Several rescues have already stepped up to get the horses. There is one in North Georgia that has agreed to take 7-8 of them already.

(P.S. Link = content currently unavailable)
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

let me try one more time:
    http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn...0176979&type=1

The photo set "the truth of Florida Drat Horse rescue" is posted publicly from Michelle Romanello

Yes, I see that about the other rescue "stepping up to the plate" so to speak... for one, it doesn't seem that the owners of these horses are seeking help, nor are they seized, so it doesn't really matter who wants to help out- it's out of anyone's hands until some part of this dynamic shifts. the other issue that concerns me is that this other rescue already is approaching 50 horses, and in today's update state that they are behind on their feed and vet bill and have one dose of bute left (treating a recently injured mare) Is this just the standard operating procedure to make sure the supporters keep donating? I don't feel warm fuzzies about the prospect of a cash strapped rescue taking in eight more.

Never said I supported the other rescues stepping up to help them. It was just the only update I had. I don't like the cycle that animal rescue groups often find themselves in:

Start with five animals. Take in four animals. Ask for donations to pay feed bill, or adopt. Adopt out five animals. Go to the sale or get eight animals from somewhere. Ask for donations to pay feed bill, or beg for adoptions. Adopt out four. Take in five more animals.

5 + 4 = 9
    9 - 5 = 4
    4 + 8 = 12
    12-4 = 8
    8 + 5 = 13

(for the numerical breakdown)

It happens more often than not with animal rescues whether it be horses, dogs, cats, etc.
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Plainandtall View Post

The photo set "the truth of Florida Drat Horse rescue"
    Amusing typo.

In this case I think it's safe to say that they were using the term 'rescue' loosely.
    Anyone know if they had their 501c3 or were recognized by the state as such, or just adopted the 'rescue' title on their own? Not that you have to have either of the former to be legit.

It's pathetic what happened to those animals... the suffering they endured embodies the phrase 'from the frying pan to the fire'.
    The punishment for this cruelty should be similar [frying pan to fire].

Here's the typical recipe for disaster:

Take in one. Funds flow in at time of rescue. Funds dry up once horsey is safe.
    Offer to take in another. YAY MONEY! Funds flow in!
    Ooops, funds dried up once horsey was safe.
    I know what I'll do - I will take in one with a severe issue that needs vet attention now and fundraise for that!
    YAY! LOTS OF FUNDS FLOW IN!
    Horsey is well...funds dry up.
    Horses need food, farrier, vet, training...who can pay for that?
    It's easy to get $500 to pull a horse off a kill truck, damn near impossible to get it to pay for a month of training.
    Rinse, lather, repeat.

Ultimately, I don't see myself ever taking in more than I can support using my own paycheck for this reason. It is just too scary. It is very hard to get donations unless you are screaming hystericaly about some urgent need. Many donors reward hysteria instead of rewarding well-run rescues. The only real way to survive is being fantastic about doing ALL your grant applications and running regular fundraiser events - and still keeping your numbers under control. I know people who can do it but they are not the majority of those who want to rescue, or have a rescue.

When I ran my non-profit rescue a few years ago, I was contacted by the deputies regarding these people. They have been under investigation for quite some time now. They are not a legit non-profit and that was one reason for being under investigation (they were in Orange County at the time...God forbid Orange County investigate them for neglect or abuse).
    People need to do their homework and find out whether or not the rescue they volunteer or donate to is legit.
    Lori T
    www.calypsofarmeventers.blogspot.com
    www.facebook.com/LTEquine for product updates on the lines I rep

Default Gotta be careful

This individual, Romanello, was rejected an adoption by Florida Draft Horse, and has been on a rampage since. The pictures she shows are reversed. The ones she says are after are actually the befores.
    I know because I followed both on Facebook. I called FDH to see why they shut down, the reason was they lost their lease and had no energy to continue with the excessive drama relating to this and other individuals. The horses and other livestock are in the hands of a handful of friends and they will not disclose them. They have no horses but their own now.
    Michelle, be careful, you might get some letters from lawyers about displaying pictures of people without permission. In Florida that is a felony.

Quote Originally Posted by caballohermoso View Post
    be careful, you might get some letters from lawyers about displaying pictures of people without permission. In Florida that is a felony.
    Really? What law is that?

In a quick search I could only find a proposed law that would make it illegal to take pictures of farms. Not sure if it was modified and/or ever passed.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

Friday? - check
    Full moon? - check
    Popcorn? - check
    Cheap wine? - check

Carry on..............

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Default Fun Fact Time!

Well, I can almost guarantee I know who that person who claimed I was rejected or whatever. Actually, not even close. First off, I was called in a panic because they needed to move their horses and asked if I could take one. Sadly, I couldn't afford it. I had 1 horse already and that was are limit at the time (Of course...that didn't last forever, we're up to 5 happy, healthy horses). It broke my heart, but I knew, at the time, I couldn't give him the home he deserved. So no, I was not rejected. Nor am I bipolar or schizophrenic, as she also claims (Does any one else see the desperate moves? I certainly do)
    Now, FDHR has been, according to animal control, investigated four or five times...sadly, they decided to do nothing, closing the case right before 3 more horses died. 4 died in the month of July to causes that could have been avoided. One had cancer, but he could have at least had some sort of treatment. One had liver failure (malnutrition!). One had EPSM, was brought in up to weight and healthy, SUFFERED and died (you can see the blood coming from his mouth in the pictures and he was left there for a day or so). When he died, he had NO muscle mass. He couldn't get up. And one was also emaciated. She used to be up to weight. All the sickly skinny horses are June/July photos, that I also had permission to post. All those horses (except Mai, RIP) were there for more than a year. Now, horses that were adopted out, emaciated, gained weight nicely. Yet, she has an excuse for why she couldn't. Her problem was actually that she didn't go out and feed on a daily basis. The only time they had hay since about March was the day before Animal Control came out. Their vet who has been covering for them and claims the horses were healthy had been out there like...twice.
    I'd also like to ask you guys, who thinks, for colic, it's a good idea to take a cold hose (that had been laying in dirt AND had the metal piece) and put it up their hind end to "flush" them out...every vet I have asked looked like they were about to go into cardiac arrest.

Oh, I'd also like to add the fun fact of the horses getting to the point where they were eating their own feces and fencing. So there is the truth, any questions? feel free to ask!
    Last edited by MRomanello; Aug. 17, 2012 at 10:16 PM.

Yeessssss! Dont stop!
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

Quote Originally Posted by MRomanello View Post

Oh, I'd also like to add the fun fact of the horses getting to the point where they were eating their own feces and fencing. So there is the truth, any questions? feel free to ask!
    And how can you make a statement like that and then make a face like THAT? wtf?
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

Default *facepalm*

Quote Originally Posted by wcporter View Post
    And how can you make a statement like that and then make a face like THAT? wtf?
    I'm so sorry, totally didn't mean to make that face. I'm still trying to figure this thing out. It's been a long few days... meant to put It's been rough. The pictures still rip my heart out and crushes it over and over again. Especially the one with Bangor dead in the background. That was the one she claims that I was rejected for adopting because if I had taken him when she asked, he'd still be here. I just couldn't afford it. I've had very little sleep in the last few days. But I just want you guys to know the truth about whats really happening. The pictures aren't backwards. Her own horses are scrawny for no reason! And if they did have issues, they shouldn't have used one in 100 degree weather to do pony rides (the kids didn't wear helmets on public property = illegal in Florida) This one needs sleep so this one can function tomorrow! I feel like a dope...

Fixed it!!...and almost double posted this thing...UGH! I feel like a dope!

Why not contact Analise and Gentle Giants. They made a FORTUNE last year on donations *remember the one with the horse they claimed had been hit in the mouth...much moola made from that pic...turns out horse had cancer...they removed the picture but did not return the donations...They are affiliated with DEFHR and HSUS so I would think they could come up with the money. Heck. They just purchased a new farm and are soliciting funds for not only a new barn, but also a vet facility to accomodate the gentle drafts...Maybe it is time they spent some of the 900,000$ on some actual horses that are Drafts

They know of the situation. They've know FDHR weren't good people for a while. They are trying to help us the best that they can and have offered a safe haven for the horses if we can get them seized or surrendered. We have multiple draft rescues offering help for these horses, but it's the owner of FDHR who doesn't want to give them up.

And no, they aren't a 501c3. They were involuntarily dissolved in 2010, and were not able to file for one after they were reinstated.

Gentle Giants has enough money on hand they could pay to have the horses delivered to them in Maryland....home state of HSUS...

They've offered support in every way (including financial) if we can get them out. Just have to find the horses again. These horses deserve better than feces and wood. They deserve the best of the best, like every horse deserves. It's funny when people say, "they're horses..." yeah, horses that I have and will lose sleep over. These horses just want to please. What really kills me is that she can neglect and everything, but these horses will continue to do anything to please her. To make her happy. They deserve their own home. One of them has AWFUL summer sores on his hooves and now on his face.

After many years on CoTH, I tend to take both sides of these threads with a large heap of salt, but I have to say I'm impressed by caballohermoso's "defense" of the group. The pictures are reversed... so that means they raised a horse from the dead! Awesome work, guys! You'll be handy to have around during the zombie apocalypse.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit